Gastroenterology Community
epigastric pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

epigastric pain

I am a 49 year old female.  I am having severe abdominal pain in the epigastric region.  It is most painful in the upper middle and left area under my breast bone.  I have an epigastric hernia a little larger than a golf ball.  I am scheduled to have that repaired in the next couple of days.  My stomach swells and burns allot sometimes the pain seems to go through to my back.  The pain is worse after eating but I can't tell that any type of food makes it worse.  Resting seems to help more than anything.  I have had a CT scan with contrast as well as drinking the wonderful banana berium cocktail.  The results only revealed a spot in my liver.  The doctor said that I will need a followup CT in a few months and just watch this.  Can the hernia be causing this much pain?  At times it is very severe.  More so as the day progresses.  Do you have any suggestions that I should ask my surgeon.  I do not want to go through surgery only to have to face any more problems.  I would like to get well all at once.