Gastroenterology Community
esophageal dysmotility

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

esophageal dysmotility

is there a cure?
Avatar n tn
help after 4 test to find out why I keep having spasms i  my chest . I was told It was esophageal dysmotility. and there is no cure.
Are they saying you have esophageal spasms, or true dysmotility in which the esophagus is not contracting?
Avatar n tn
they are calling it a esophageal dysmotility, The treatment is muscle relaxers.   I am constantly having what feels like a spasm in my throat. I can not talk with out these odd sounds and I become breathless. Only silence makes it easier, .
Avatar n tn
Avatar n tn
I also have esophageal dysmotility and I am under the impression that they think it's important to continue to llook for causes.  And while there's no cure, there are various treatments in addition to muscle relaxers, including working with a speech pathalogist, and more invasive things, dependent on what type of dysmotility you have.  It sounds like all you've been told is that it's dysmotility, but I would be unsatisfied with leaving it there.  4 tests isn't actually that many ; )

If your doc's are giving up on looking for related problems, perhaps you should look for another opinion?  It's always interesting to me, how doctors in the same speciality can have different appoaches to diagnosing and treating the same symptoms.  

It sounds like you might really benefit from a speech pathologist (they do specialize in swallowing disorders, too), and that might be a good place to start!  But don't let them give up on you. I've had multiple illnesses hit over the past 2 years, and I've been to a dozen doctors at least in various specialities- some get excited about the challenge, and some just want to pass me off as quickly as possible.  So I've learned that finding the right doctors is crucial to getting things diagnosed and treated.

Keep pushing and don't give up!!  Best wishes to you!