Gastroenterology Community
extra long intestine

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

extra long intestine

I have recently been diagnosed with "extra long" intestine after 20+ years of abdominal pain, distension, constipation. I was told to treat it with meds and diet. I eat as little as possible and am not able to exercise or enjoy life at all. Has anyone else experienced this? Can't surgery be done to remove the extra intestine?
I would try harder to find what is really going on.  An extra long intestine doesn't cause problems because it is long, it just means that it gets twisted easier which can cause constipation.  What testing have you had done?  What meds are you on and what dietary changes have you made?  Do you eat as little as possible because you think that helps or because you are nauseous?  Surgery is not done to remove the extra intestine because that causes more problems than it is helps, and my guess would be that this wouldn't fix everything because it sounds like you have something more going on.
Yes, there is more going on. I have celiac disease which I have been living with for 10 years as well, but feel that I manage that well. I have had every test I can think of. I recently had barium x-rays and thought I was going to die from the pain. It was so painful to have the barium in my colon and try to pass it through all the tight curves of my intestine. I most likely was born without a mesenteric ligament. It is supposed to be holding up my transverse colon. Instead my colon is all laying in a heap on my pelvic floor.
I have been taking metamucil, fibercon and murilax for years. I don't eat because I feel awful and bloated after I do. This is no way to go through life, but the doctors have no answers. Does anyone have any answers?
Have you had a colonoscopy?
yes; colonoscopy was negative.
Hi,  I was told at 26, that my colon was longer than most. Had lots of tests and meds.(otherwise,mycolon is health looking, might not work right) Nothing worked. I was told surgery was my only option. However, the doctors would have to take 80% of my colon. I was told that they couldn't just just take the bad turns. In my case, I have more than (2) turns or twist and if they only take those parts then it gets to risky for infection too many paches. But, surgery is an option for this condition. It is about finding the right doctors. And what is right for you. I didnt have the surgery, still have not found the right doctor. (in my case it still  argued how much really take) am 37, now argument continues with different doctors. I still have hope that the technology will get better.
I now eat yogert 2x a day.the active cultures is whats needed to help further breakdown the food you eat, for me it has lessen the pain, my colon doesnt move in some place, so the food just sits there. And i eat alot fruit so far these are the only two foods that I dont have issue with. I replace all the fiber drinks with yogurt it took 3 weeks to stop most of the pain. I eat only yoplay. I have tried with others. This is the only one that made me a bit better. I hope this was a bit helpful to you.

Yes kam this does exist i just had surgery this morning through laporscopic exploration through my stomach the surgeon found that both of my intestines are longer and bigger than they should be. Unfortunately due to the fact that i am 23 he felt i need to wait being that removing part of the intestines is a surgery performed in your 50s he did however clean them for me and rerouted them because of the sharp corners to make it easier to digest food. I have been in extreme pain lately and anything i ate would make me be in so much pain i would be left crying. I have lost 73 lbs since last year due to not being able to eat unless absolutely necessary. I have to make sure to stay away from foods that make gases form in bubbles in my stomach no sodas or anything carbonated. See a surgeon. They are way more informed about the disease. Its common cause are genetics. I wish you all the best. Laura.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers