Gastroenterology Community
fecal body odor

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

fecal body odor

I suffer from an unusual fart, boiled eggs, garbage/sewer, and fecal body odor smell for a little over three years now. I am in the ARMY and to this day have seen many Gastroenterologists and a few Internalists, for my diarrhea issue I suddenly acquired while I was on my second tour in Iraq over three years ago, well during this same tour is when my fecal body odor issue came to light. Sharing a big one room building with over 50 females is not a pleasant experience but more so when all are saying that I stink up the whole BLDG with my fart/poop aroma which surrounds and follows me around everywhere I go, the constant ridicule I received everywhere I would go b/c of my body odor made the tour that much more unbearable. When I finally summoned the courage to mention my fecal body odor situation to one of my GI doctor's he suggested I was not mentally well "crazy" in fact, b/c as he stated "it is impossible for anyone to smell like that", and strongly suggested I see a psychiatrist. When I saw the psychiatrist the only thing he could suggest was that since I was new to the unit that it must have been a dislike issue amongst the females towards me, I remained unconvinced primarily since other soldiers not within my unit noticed the same odor.  Three years later 3 colonoscopy, 1 endoscopy, 1 barium swallow, and numerous other procedures and countless lab and parasite workup  the diarrhea has been labeled as IBS or as another none GI doctor has labeled it  the "I don't know what is going on with you" diagnosis. All so true so it seems since not a single of the many, many "here take this medication and come back in a month" prescriptions has yet to work, but the pigpen, sewer, fecal body aroma is still there, as well as the constant ridicule. Any suggestions for I find myself with now where else to turn.
I have a similar issue.  I don't know what it is, but it seems to be a faint mucus/liquid discharge coming from the anus (esp during nervous instances).  I've had the issue on and off for 15 yrs.  And it seems to be a mixture of a very faint incontinence issue and a diet/malabsorbtion issue (among other things).  You may have some from stress being on active dutie.  Mine started when I was 18 and seems like stress always starts it.  Anyway, feel free to email me.  I've gone thru everything you've gone thru and not much success, but we need to find a solution!
I'm a 43 year old male who has had to endure the fecal, sewer type odor. Also, I have a mucus discharge when I give my self a enema to try to rid myself of the odor. I have been to at least six different doctors in the last fifthteen years about my condition. All of the physicians, claim that they do not smell anything. People in my work place and everywhere that I go, cover their noses, whenever I come around, usually behind my back but sometimes people will announce embarrssing comments. This problem has really made socializing a struggle. Going to church as well as merely going to the grocery store has become stressfull. With all this said, dating is nonexistent. At times, I feel as if I am in a matrix, because doctors act as if my problem doesn't exist, even though I suffer every moment unless I am alone. Some one out there knows what's going on with this condition but has neglected to share the answers with us. If you want to chat or give any new found solution, please inform me.
I'm so very sorry that you must endure this.  I am a nutritionist and the only thing simular that I have come across is people who have horrible b.o coming from their under arms, feet, and genitals.  This usually happens when there is an imbalance in the intestinal flora.  You see, we have about 5 pounds of good, healthy, sweet smelling probiotic flora in our guts.  We also have a pound or two of bad, toxic, flora in our guts.  When the good flora gets wiped out, the bad flora over populates and people's bowels get all poluted.  This MIGHT be what is happening to you.  Before this started happening, do you remember taking antibitoics?  They wipe out the good flora with the bad bacteria, making the bad flora in your gut florish.  Here's what you might do.  See if you can find a place near you that does "colonic's" a.k.a. "colon hydrotherapy"  A colonic is like an enema, only 5 times more powerful.  It will give your colon a real rinse.  Immediately after leaving the office, start taking a probiotic called, Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life.  Get the capsules. 180 of them to a bottle.  Follow the directions on the package.  (To order call 1-877-673-0224).  And change your diet.  This is going to be hard because your in the Army.  I realize that.  But do you know that I have had men get rid of body odor by eating no animal products?  That means no meat and no dairy.  For now, just eat as healthy as you can.  What that means is, whenever possible, eat big raw salads with bean soup, instead of big salads with meat and cheese.  Snack on raw apples with nuts like almonds, instead of potato chips and cookies.  When you order sandwiches, always ask for whole wheat bread and if they don't have that get rye.  Eat oatmeal for breakfast with fresh fruit if you can get it, and forget about throwing sugar all over it.  I am going to put my email address down here but it may not print. (I tried this before and it didn't work).  If it does, feel free to email me and I'll try to help you best as i can.  If it doesn't, I'll check back here every couple of days.  I promise to pray for you too.  Good luck!
                                         ***@****  
My email address didn't print.  I will check back here in a day or two to see if you have any questions for me.  But I did want to add this....buy some Activated Charcoal capsules.  I have never tried this before, but lets see if it helps.  Charcoal absorbs odors.  Your mother or grand mother will probably tell you that they put charcoal in their fridges to absorb odors.  My german grandmother (I'm also italian) used to put a piece of charcoal in the baby bottle when the baby had gas because it absorbs gas too.  So buy some Activated Charcoal capsules.  They may sell them at the same place they sell the Primal Defense Ultra capsules.  Ask them.  If they don't, don't worry.  Most drug stores carry it. (Ask the pharmacist where it is)  Now, you really shouldn't take it if your on medication because it will absorb your meds.  But you can take it while on the probiotic, PDU.  Take a lot of it.  Take like 5 capsules, twice a day.  And start right away.  Your stool may come out black.  But that's just the charcoal passing through so don't freak out.  Keep taking this while your eating healthy, taking the probiotic, and getting a colonic.  And make water your beverage of choice from now on.  If you MUST have coffee in the morning, go ahead, but just drink water the rest of the day.  And keep your chin up : )
For all of you men who are NOT in the Army and you have this problem, this is what I highly recommend.  There are places in the US that you can go to that only serve whole, natural, foods.  No meat, no dairy and no refined sugar, or flour.  Find One!  Stay as long as you can afford it.  While your on such a diet, take the probiotic I mentioned above, Primal Defense Ultra.  And when you get home from this resort, keep eating this way.  Once you clean out your system and replenish the good flora in your gut, your going to get rid of this smell.  There is a place in Canada that is expensive, but if you can afford it, go.  It's a beautiful place.  They only serve food that will alkaline your blood.  And they do colonics there.  If you can afford it, and you really want to get rid of this problem, GO.  If not, any health resort that serves the foods described above will do.  My mother just went to one in Florida that is rather reasonable, as far as those places go.  If you want the name, I'll ask her.  Just ask me.  Good luck!