Gastroenterology Community
food getting stuck

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

food getting stuck

I have noticed food getting stuck when I swallow for about 3 weeks now.  Dr gave me losec to take and to go back in 2 weeks.  I have no acid reflux but feel I have to burp or regurg to get food down.  I am terrified this is cancer.  I am 36.  food seems to be stuck in my sternum.  Help?
My husband has had the same thing for quite some time, and he was told it was GERD (acid reflux).  We switched him from a prescription med for this to an over the counter medication and he is doing much better.  I would go to your local drugstore and tell the pharmacist that you suffer from acid reflux, what over the counter medication would he recommend.  My husband now has fewer episodes.  Good luck!
Hi , My husband had the same exact problem,he needed to drink fluids all the time whenever he put food in his mouth to push it down this went on for a long time finally he went for his regular blood work and i mentioned to the doctor well  he had to go for the test where they put a camera down your throat to see inside your stomache i cant remember the name anyway they found little ulcers that were inflamed so they put him on prevacid he takes 1 a day in the morning every day, its been 3yrs  and his ulcers are healed and gone but he goes 1 yr just to check that its ok.So dont worry the test doesnt hurt they put you to sleep it only takes 20min. This is my advice to you this is what my husband had to do to see what was going on.I think you should have it done to be on the safe side if you do have ulcers and you ignore it or people tell you oh no thats not it they can be wrong and i can be right what will happen if you ignore you can choke on your own acid or blood from bleeding ulcers. so just keep it in mind .alwayswithme keep in touch.ok
Regarding cancer, it's highly unlikely, although not impossible. Request to have an EGD (upper endoscopy) done as soon as possible. If your doctor says no, find one who will, and be quick about it. While you don't fit the profile for esophageal cancer, the mere possibility of it is nothing that should be taken lightly. It's far more likely that it's something like a stricture or inflammation, but there's no way to know unless you have an EGD done.
The problem you have is called Dysphgia. It is acid reflux caused by the stomach producing too much acid that is needed to break down food. If food is getting stuck, the stages are advanced. You should go to see a Gastroenterology Doctor ASAP. As this will only get worse. You don't have cancer! Bt the acid will destroy the lining of your throat and swallowing ill get to yhe point, that they eill have to do an Esophagoscopy. sounds worse than it is! They put t camera down your throat, find the restriction and balloon the closure open.( Balloon Dilinsd Esophagal). It is an outpatient surgery. The cost here in SC is about $2300.00 for Hospital and the Dr. is around $700.00. I have had 6 surgeries so far. most PPl are a size 24, I'm a 12 at the largest. I was also told in yhe begining that I did not have acid reflux. I am now told, that I have the worst case the Dr. has ever seen. eat small bites, chew slow and wash down ea bite w/ WATER! Write all this down and ask your Doctor. Good Luck! KC
sorry about the misspelled words. I have blonde fingers and keep hitting the keys next to the one I ment to hit! Guess I should read what I write prior to posting! LOL. DON"T worrie! You will be fine with the right meds and change how you eat. Slow down, chew well. Prilosec taken twice a day is way cheaper than Prevacid, if you are paying out of your pocket like me. My Gastro Doctor tlod me this. Prevacid cost $235. for 30 pills here! that's 1 month supply!!!
KC