foods for no large intestine?
Hi.
I'm 17, and for my entire life I've lived without my large intestine, and without a little part of my small intestine.
They removed it when I was a baby. So I have what I think of as constant diarrhea, and I don't know any different.

I used to take Imodium, but for the last couple years I haven't been paying much attention to it. As you can imagine my system is - fast - but recently it's been feeling especially bad. I assume it's because I haven't been paying attention to it. I just put up with it and get on with my life.

But right now, I'm sick and tired of it. And I want to sort it out. I'm going to go see my doctor soon, and hopefully a specialist and really make sure I look after myself.

But I was wondering if in the meantime, there are certain foods I should look out for to make it better? Or is it different for different people?

I don't monitor my food habits very well - i think I'm in a little bit of denial about it - but I eat a lot of bread and pastry, which I imagine isn't that good.

I just found this site, when I decided to 'take action' about the whole thing - and I really just want a little support. I never really imagined there were other people out there. :)
Hi, my son has been without his large intestine since he was 12, and is now 39.  I know what you mean about the constant BM's and so does he.  He is a marathoner, untrathoner, competetes in jujitsu, mountain biker and is an avid hiker.  His hiking puts him in the middle of the wilderness for weeks at a time alone.  He told me that he has learned thru trial and error what makes his diarrhea worse, and what doesn't, so that he can have a normal life.  I have referred many to him as he is always happy to help others in any way he can.  He's very knowlegable about this and what is needed when you don't have a colon.  If you are interested, PM me and I will give you his email address.  He'd be happy to try and help you.  Take care.
Thank you. That's very helpful. I'd love to have a chat with him. :)
I also had my colon removed at 13 and I am 38 now.  I would really like to speak with your son in regards to his dietary intake.  I would like his e-mail address if possible.  Thank you
Hello, I'm 61 years young, dealt with Ulcerative Colitis for 7 1/2 years until nothing would put it into remission, 8 month's ago I had my large intestines and most of my colon removed, wore a bag for 3 months, and have had my small intestines connected to what remains of my colon.  I've lost a lot of weight.  It seems all I can eat is protein, meaning chicken and fish, and carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes, and white  bread.  I would like to get in touch with your son to find what he eats.  It seems I go to the bathroom every hour on the hour at night until I expel an yellow mucus discharge.  Then I know I've eliminated everything from my intestines.  The days are usually good with few bowl movements, but the nights are miserable.  I can't remember having a good nights sleep.  I once thought I could beat Ulcerative Colitis and read and tried everything including diet, but nothing worked.  Since the surgery, I feel better than I have in a very long time, but I don't know what I should eat and can't seem to find anyone with any answers.  Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.              
Try reading through some of Morecambe's posts. He is also living without a large intestine and has given some very good advice/help on foods that will help you out.
Hi mammo I don't know how long ago you posted this or if you are still checking but I thought I would just throw it out there and hope someone sees it. I am 34 and just had my large intestine removed in October because the doctors thought my UC was to back to continue with the meds and the Remicade. They said surgery was my best bet cause I was just that 1 percent that the meds didn't work on. Long story short after the reconstruction surgery I got very sick and ended up having a stroke. When they were trying to figure out why I had a stroke they discovered I had a heart defect that I was born with and my UC was due to a parasite. I never even had UC all that for nothing, all I needed was 2 pills to kill the parasite.but instead now I have to live with no colon, and my side effects from the stroke, and have to take blood thinners for the rest of my life. I am dealing with everything but I would love to know what your son does to keep from going all the time. A special diet, exercise, activities anything. Thanks for listening and even if you never reply it still feels good to put it out there.  Thanks
Just ran across this site.....Not sure if you're still on this blog....if you are, would love to email you about your son.
would love to talk to your son re diet. Maybe by now he has put together a sheet he could email me?
thank you
***@****
Hi there!  I ran across your reply while searching for a healthy eating plan for life without a large intestine.  It has been around 12 years since my surgery and I have lived with taking about 24 pills (48 mg) of anti-diarrheal meds per day.  A friend thinks this is too much and I should check to see if I have pouchitis.  In the meantime, I would like to learn if I could eat better.  I want to eat healthy, but half the time I wonder why I ate something because it just goes through almost whole.  I know a few trigger foods, such as tomato based products, chocolate, soda, spicy foods... but I'm in search of a meal/diet plan that could make me feel better overall.  
Thank you for your time!