Gastroenterology Community
foul smelling flatulence all time

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

foul smelling flatulence all time

I want to discuss my problem which I think is since from my birth. I am having a problem of  extreme flatulence with terrible odor.I  fart all the time (24*7) . I don't want to be rude but most of the answers I will get on this question will be related to diet and food intake . But I think my problem need to be taken in a different manner . Without eating or drinking all day , I produce bad odour . All the doctors say that this is normal and don't take my problem seriously . I live in high tension because of this problem . So i want to ask you guys is there any solution of this problem that can be done by surgery or any other mean.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Have you had any testing done?  Do other people tell you that it smells bad or are you the only one that notices this?  Are you doing anything to deal with your anxiety?  Since you say this isn't diet related, what foods have you tried eliminating from your diet to know this isn't related to your diet?
The result of my gastroscopy test :
IMPRESSION: HIATUS HERNIA WITH LA GRADE A ESOPHAGITIS

Sholud I go for  anal sphincter electromyography (EMG)
Whether you should go for an anal EMG is between you and your doctor.  Do other people tell you that it smells bad or are you the only one that notices this?  Are you doing anything to deal with your anxiety?  Since you say this isn't diet related, what foods have you tried eliminating from your diet to know this isn't related to your diet?
I think I might have found the solution

I have cried too many times to count from this exact same issue. I have felt like a social pariah. It started when I was young and has plagued me my entire life. I am now 32. It had progressively gotten worse over the past couple of years as well. I have gotten to numerous gastros to find the solution and all of them left me more frustrated and more ANGRY. One of them laughed. They mostly told me I had IBS and would have to eat a limited diet. Some told me to cut out grains and dairy - which I have b/c I found out that I had food sensitivities...yet, I still had this problem everytime I ate...no matter how healthy I ate or how much I exercised I had putrid smelling gas, stomach pains, and a 5-month pregnant -bloated look.
On a side note I just would like to vent a bit: I have a special hatred for western medicine, at least in terms of prevention. If I get in a car wreck and need immediate surgery it's ok but when it comes to treatment and prevention, western medicine gets a F in my book.
Anyways, I thought I had found the solution. My friend, who is an acupuncturist, recommended the Standard Process Cleanse. I immediately saw results and felt better. However, to my disappointment, after the 21 days I still had my problem. I continued take the supps but also researched this issue and stumbled across HCI Betaine also known as hydroclhloric acid. Apparently, there is such thing as having too little acid in the stomach which leads to symptoms such as: gas, bloating, poor digestion, GERD, acid reflux and a whole host of other issues. I got a bottle of this stuff for 9.99 and have been taking it with each meal. Guess what..barely any gas, no bloating, and food is digesting b/c I keep having regular well-formed bowel movements.
I also started taking a digestive enzyme and probiotic but the HCI Betaine was what helped the most.
To all the people out there who suffer from this…I understand. Please research low stomach acid. It might help you. This was literally an answered prayer for me. I just ate an apple without any issues. I am so so happy to have finally figured this out.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers