Gastroenterology Community
frequency of bowel movements
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

frequency of bowel movements

Hello:  I am concerned about a pretty drastic change in my bowel habits.  I used to have problems with loose stools, but now I have normal to hard stools that are always small, usually round in shape.  They vary in color from light brown to very dark brown.  I can have a movement as many times as I urinate or more. (10 times yesterday)  I often feel as though I can't finish while on the commode; therefore, later, I go back for more.  I used to be exceptionally "regular": one "normal" movement each morning.  I had benign polyps removed 5 years ago.  Colon problems run in my family (mom and grandmother).  Should I be concerned?  How symptomatic of colon cancer could this be?  Thanks.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
How are you? While many cases of colon cancer are asymptomatic, it can also presents with abdominal pain and tenderness in the lower abdomen; blood in the stool; diarrhea, constipation, or other change in bowel habits; narrow stools and weight loss with no known reason. It is possible that you are constipated at this point especially if fiber and fluid are not enough. However, if this change in bowel habits persist, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests such as  fecal occult blood test (FOBT) as well as screening tests like colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy to rule this out.  Take care and do keep us posted.
Blank
Thank you for your response!  I indeed have a colonoscopy and endoscopy set for this very week.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank