Gastroenterology Community
frequent urge for bowel movement
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

frequent urge for bowel movement

I'm 25 years old and for the past couple months i have been having a really bad urge to have a bowel movement its affecting everything in my life anybody know what it might be i smoke but don't drink i work 3rd shift that's when it really all started.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1208572_tn?1276146143
By urge do you mean you always feel like you have to have a BM, but cant? Or you are constantly going like diarrhea?

If you always feel you have an urge, but dont really have to go, you may want to have a Pelvic Floor Dysfunction test done.
Blank
it's like the urge to go but only a little come out and then 5-10 min later i have the urge to go again and the same thing and it happens when i have to go some where and i have to stop 2-3 time just to make it to where i need to go.
Blank
1208572_tn?1276146143
Yea, go to your doctor and let them know about these symptoms and ask if a Pelvic Floor test is recommended. The issue is that your colon starts working to have a bowel movement at any exposure to the waste, rather than waiting for it to build up and expelling it normally.

Its ok to have 2-3 bowel movements a day. In fact, alot of people have a normal BM after every meal. But if you are having frequent urges, but not much is coming out, it could be pelvic floor dysfunction. Run that by your GP and see what they say.
Blank
Sometimes I have. Bowel movents like 4-5 times a day maybe more, what is pelvic floor dysfunction?
Blank
1208572_tn?1276146143
"(Symptoms) of pelvic floor dysfunction include the sensation of incomplete emptying of the rectum when having a bowel movement. Incomplete emptying may result in the individual feeling the need to attempt a bowel movement several times within a short period of time."

"(Diagnosis)During this study, the patient is given an enema of a thick liquid that can be detected with x-ray. A special x-ray video records the movement of the pelvic floor muscles and the rectum while the individual attempts to empty the liquid from the rectum. Normally the pelvic floor relaxes allowing the rectum to straighten and the liquid to pass out of the rectum. This study will demonstrate if the pelvic floor muscles are not relaxing appropriately and preventing passage of the liquid."

Blank
ok thanks is there anything i can do in the mean time  to help stop the urges?before i can get to a doctor
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...