Gastroenterology Community
gallbladder clips

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

gallbladder clips

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopicly in 2000. I have always had a bulge in my upper right side taht will hurt every so often. When I back to the surgeon about a year later he sid it was because I was obese. I have recently had a CT of my abdomen and when another doctor was explaining the results he said the clips were visible from my gallbladder surgery. Is it normal for the clips to still be there and could they be causing my pain.
Having one or two clips left in that area after the surgery is fairly standard. They're there to close off the cystic duct at it's entry to the common bile duct. They typically get covered with connective tissue after the surgery and pose no problems.
I have experienced swelling, localized fever, pain, intermittent swelling, several hospital stays related to sudden pain in the area of the gall bladder, since the removal  about 8 years ago. I have also experienced 1 case of pancreatitis 1 year after the surgery.

I believe these clips may get infected from time to time, limiting my workout. It has begun to cause changes from my water aerobic workout due to sensitivity in the gall bladder area while working out in the water. I also was not informed of there exisitance and although discovered by  a physician, never considered as the source of recurrent infections and illness.

How often is it recommended that these clips be removed and what are the general complications. I am diabetic and the constant inflamation (inflammation) has further comprimised my diabetes.

Hi. I also am having pain from clips. When ever so slight pressure is placed on hard area aka "clips" or bending or moving certain ways or God forbid sleeping on my right side HURTS!!! I'm also haing upper right side back pain. I was unaware at first what these "hard" spots were and why they were hurting me. About the 3rd week after surgery...I ened up in the emergency room with the worst pain I've ever endured! I've been through labor and other surgeries so it wasn't a case that I'm intolerant of pain. I was not informed that thse clips were going to be used. Too bad for I would have done the research and discovered all these other people in this nightmare! I certainly would have demanded good old stiches....what ever happen to those?? All thses folks, including myself can't be mistaken about the same symptoms regarding pain. Has any doctor under gone this proceedure with clips? I hope soon that the medial world stops using this proceedure and stop inflicting pain. At this time, I want them removed so that I may get back to my life! Wendylk7 @ hotmail
I have personally removed 3500 gallbladders using titanium clips to secure the cystic duct and artery without any clip related problems. In the US, there have been between 500,000 and 700,000 gallbladders removed annually for the past 22 years laparoscopically using titanium clips. I can find less than 50 patients described in the literature with clip related problems such as migration into a duct. I am confused as to what you are describing when you comment about a "hard area". These clips are located between 3 and 6 inches below the skin surface making it impossible to feel them from the surface. Can you describe what it is that you are blaming on the clips more accurately?
in the case of a proven titanium allergy...is it possible for these clips to be  removed surgically 4 to 5 years after surgery? is this ever done?
You have me interested. I have never heard of a titanium allergy. Nickle is the metal that has the highest incidence of reactions. Have you actually been shown to have a titanium allergy? The other metal that can be problematic is the copper in copper clad bullets.

The short answer is yes. I had a case where another surgeon had caught a nerve root in a few clips while doing a colon resection. I had to remove the clips which finally relieved her pain. I also had a patient who had had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy elsewhere and developed an aneurysm of the cystic artery where the clip was placed. I had to remove the clip and ligate  the vessel.
I'm curious regarding the "less than 50 patients described in literature..." and your not having heard of titanium allergy.  I had laparoscopic gallbladder removal little over 20 yrs ago.  A few yrs after that I went to my family Dr. with the side pain and unusual (for me, as in never before) stool.  I hadn't thought of it being gallbladder related, but I was referred back to my surgeon.  He did a ultra sound (I think that's what it was), he referred me to a gynecologist due to seeing cysts on my ovary.  The gyn treated me like I was stupid, I guess she thought I was thinking my ovaries hurt and didn't know where they were.  (She, by the way, was the worst Dr. I've ever had the misfortune of being subjected to.)  I never got any kind of answer as to what caused and continues to cause pain and elimination of masses of chartreuse jello poo.  (I do not eat gelatin-ever.)  I've found others who have gb removal and similar issues.  I'd bet none of us are in the literature.  It's not often and not unbearable - so I'm sorry I spent all that time and money on the bad after bad experience.  I have other, worse health issues now to take care of.  Regarding the titanium allergy: I didn't know what my clips were made of, but I looked up, after reading this discussion, that only 4% of the population are allergic to titanium.  How is that determined?  I'd bet I'm not in that literature either.  Were you tested for titanium, nickle or copper allergies?
Having alterations in stool consistency after cholecystectomy is not rare and usually managed with bile salt binders and fiber. Up to 15% of patients can continue to have RUQ pain and should be evaluated for such things as sphincter of Oddi dysfunction should they continue to have biliary pain. I'm still not sure how you are relating these to titanium allergies since the incidence has been constant since the days of open cholecystectomies when the cytic duct and artery were ligated with sutures rather than clips.
I called the company that manufactures the clips and they told me they have thousands of people who have problems with them. 2) They are not just titanium they are an alloy, I had to do a lot of research because they put a plate in my neck, come to find out they have nickle, aluminum, iron, vanadium and such. So all of you doctors who say you can't see what the problem is, is because before you use things in people you do not do your research. Then we the public come back and try to find out why we have rashes and pain and get told it just an allergy, well you got that right. I don't know if you have ever had a splinter or sliver of metal in you, but you might notice that wood will cause you to get a pocket of puss because it is foreign object the body is trying to clear. I have an allergy to metals so I should have received better support because this was told to my doctor.
Hi,my surgery was done 18 yrs ago, I notice when I lose weight is when the clip bothers me. Getting up from bed or a recliner, like a half sit-ups or bending putting on shoes make me jump straight from pain. It feels like a cramp. Any suggestions or what kinds of dr should I visit.
hello doc let me just say you will never under stand what these people are going thru i found out that i have heavy metal toxcity due to the clips the clips are not only made of titanium but cobalt nickel chromium i want you to do this test take one of the clips and send it to a metal analysis test lab and get the results of what metals it consest of  u will be amazed