gallbladder hida scan
Hi.  I have been having symptoms of stomach pain and nausea.  I went to my gi who ordered an endoscopy ( just some irritation in my upper stomach) and a hida scan.  As I was out of it, he spoke with my doc and said he thinks it's my gallbladder.  He told me that at my followup appt. after I ended up in the er with the symptoms.  at the er they did an ultrasound and said the gallbladder looked fine, but he still thinks that';s what it is.  I am having a hida scan and wonder what it will be like and what symptoms having people had with gallbladder issues. thanks.
Hi!
I had a HIDA scan earlier this week.....it is no problems. There are 2 tests they do....the 1st is a small injection of a radioactive substance then you lie under the machine for about 1/2 an hour while they take pictures. The 2nd test is where they give you a milkshake drink and watch how your gallbladder empties......so both are painless! :)

Gallbladder issues are typically pain attacks just under your ribs on the right side.....usually worse after eating.....

Good luck
Thanks.  I thought the test took longer than that. Thats good.  We'll see what the results are.  I haven't had an attack in a couple of weeks.  He had put me on a stronger acid blocker, dexalant (sp?) and it seems to be working.  I still feel nauseas after I eat.  
Sorry.  Forgot to ask.  Did you end up having your gall bladder out?
I had same problem, having bad pain on the right side, nausea, vomitting etc, all my tests came back normal excpet HIDA scan, gallbladder was extremely delayed in emptying, I am hjaving surgery in January.  You can have other issues besides stones, so could still be your problem.  Hopefully HIDA scan gives you some results... when I had mine, I had all my symptoms happen during the scan.
Thanks.  Mine is scheduled for today at 10:30 am.  Yes, ultrasound didn't show any stones but doc says that doesn't mean that it isn't the gall bladder.
Keep us posted how HIDA scan goes.... all the best.
Thanks.  I had it yesterday.  The first part was okay but when they injected the cck, I became very nauseas and the pain started again, like a few weeks ago.  I am not waiting for the gi's office to let me know the results.  It was weird as they had a screen up where I could watch the liver and the gallbladder processing the radioactive dye.
Ya I could see mine too, she actually explained it all to me... I knew mine wasnt normal as the first part of the test it woould drop into the intestine, so they couldnt do the 2nd part of the test until it did, took almost 2 hours for mine to drop from the gallbladder...which is why I get pain, nausea and vomitting....when will you get your results?
wow.  I think mine took about an hour to get into the small intestine, but even then, there was still some in my gall bladder.  The second part symptoms were horrible!  The nausea and the pain were bad.  I haven't had an attack in a couple of weeks, but the way the cck made me feel, it felt like the old familiar pain.  Not sure when I will get the results.  If I don't have them by next week, I am going to call the gi.
I think they say within the hour is normal to drop into intestine, but that doesnt mean that your EF is normal, which is the 2nd part of the test.  They say anything under 35% is abnormal.. I had 52% but still had biliary dyskinesia and they still believe removal is best thing for me.  Good Luck keep is posted.
Hi.  Results are in.  My ef is 39% and I also have biliary dyskinesia.  Both my PCP and GI recomment removal.  I am following up with the surgeon next week.  I am not sure what biliary dyskinesia but I will research on the internet.  I will let you know when my surgery is. Not looking forward to it.  3rd surgery in 3 years..(:
Yup knew your symptoms sounded very familiar to mine...i saw 2 GI's and they both suggested that for me as well... so thats 3 docs that suggest that for biliary dyskinesia.  Mine is in just over a week and I am starting to get nervous as hell :-s
I know what you mean.  I have to make an appt. with the surgeon next week. I am going to go with the one who did my umbilical hernia,last year, as I really liked him.  I for sure didn't think it was the gall bladder, especially when they told me the ef was 39%.  I researched and saw the under 35 is abnormal.  But my gi says that mine is sluggish and not functioning well.  Since my pcp and gi say the same thing, I am going to go with it.  I am nervous too. I wish I would have known this sooner as my new 2000 dollar deductible kicks in in January.
Forgot.  Wondering what life will be like with out gallbladder, meaning diet.
Yup thats exactly mine too... they did still say though that they cant gurantee 100% will sove the problem, as sometimes biliary dyskinesia can be related to Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction.  I do as well wonder what it will be like, I hope I can eat some of the stuff I have given up...I hear mixed reviews and read the same online...My GI told me how difficult gallbladder can be to diagnose, as sometimes all tests will come back clear except HIDA scan.  Good you got that done, some docs wont send for that if U/S etc are clear.
I beleive the doctors usually request for 2 ultrasounds before they can be certain if your gallbladder is the culprit.  When they did the first on me, mine was too contracted and all they could see is a bit of thickening of the walls which could explain an infection...which is normally the result of stones.  The pain is so bad that soon enough you will find out it's no acid reflux, it's something much morse.  They usually have to bring down the pain with morphine...5 cc's when you go to the ER.

I had mine removed 3 days ago...that pain is gone, but I am dealing with gas, excessive salivation and who knows what else.  
After removal of your gallbladder, you will have to watch the amount of fats and dairy you eat. Too much of either and your bowel will empty very quickly (I usually have about 20 min before I have to find a restroom). You GI doc  and your surgeon will advise you on what to eat. Good luck.
Oh no that doesnt sound fun, I love dairy!!!  Ive cut most fats out of my diet since it hurts to much, so might not be that difficult to stay away from.  How long ago did you have yours out, is that a temporary ting with the fast empty out?  Does it eventually go back to normal?
One of the reasons I am hesitant about this surgery is that I have not had pain since I was in the er a few weeks ago, just nausea after I eat.  From what I read, people seem to have pain all the time. i am going to talk to the surgeon about it before I do it.  I hate to have a surgery that I don't really need.  Also, what is Sphinter of Odi?
Yes i agree...and gallbladder pain can come and go some people get one attack and dont have again for months or ever again thats usually stones... i get the pressure pain in my side almost daily, around to back, nausea is so common now i dont know what its like to live without it, constipation, sometimes to the point only way of relieving the pressure is to vomit, I hope this is the end for me, I am only 32 and would like to feel normal again..let me know what your surgeon thinks... Happy New Year!
Thanks.  I am going to see both of them.  I am afraid that the surgeon will just want to take it out, as that is his job.....how he makes his money.  I haven't seen my gi yet, face to face, just got the results and his take on them from his nurse.
Hi Sue,
My mom had a similar dilemma when she had her gall bladder removed.  As it turns out, we're not certain she needed the surgery to remove it.  Additionally, we've discovered that oftentimes doctors will remove the gall bladder and not the duct work.  We haven't really seen any clear implications of what that means, however her duct work is the part that was dysfunctional and she had no gall stones.  The left the duct work and she's still sick, though we're not sure if it's linked or not.  It's been 3 years since her surgery.  Make sure when you speak to the doctors you ask very thorough questions!  Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks.  I will. I hate to have an unnessary surgery, even though they are saying that the glallblader is sluggish and not functioning properly.