Gastroenterology Community
gallbladder polyp

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

gallbladder polyp

I'd been having some abdominal pain off and off for I don't know how long,some of of it has been related to my menstural cycle,but mostly every time now I haven't been able to eat breakfast and if I do I can't seem to finish it.I've lost some weight people are commenting on how skinny I look.I went to a Dr who sent sent me for a blood test which came back normal and after that my stomach played up again,I felt light headed and nauseated, loose bowels again and I went to the hospital who suggested I had a tummy bug.I since had a referral for a scan of my stomach and everywhere else in my abdominal area,I went today and they found a cyst on my R/ovary and a 5cm polyp in my gall bladder,the sonographer told me that it doesn't usually become a concern till they get to 10cms,I'm halfway.When my Dr gets the results,is the best thing for me to do is insist on getting my gallbladder removed?
Hi there!

With the suggestion I would expect the polyp to be 5mm (rather than 5cm). Smaller polyps are less likely to be malignant and would not require a gall bladder removal. It is only the larger polyps (>10mm) that may have a chance of turning malignant and require a cholecystectomy.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
The sonographer said it was 5cms not 5mms,but thanks anyway