Gastroenterology Community
gamma gt levels in blood test

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

gamma gt levels in blood test

i recently took a blood test for work and when i got my results back it said my gamma gt level was 209 and to see a doctor.  it said the rest of my liver test where ok.  what can i do to fix this
Gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) can be increased due to a fair number of causes so you need to find out what's going on. It could mean that there is intrahepatic or extrahepatic obstruction of bile ducts or it could mean something like a 'direct' problem with the liver. But it can also elevated due to a variety of other causes (infectious mononucleosis, hyperthyroidism, myotonic dystrophy, use of 'regular' or 'irregular drugs, etc.) so they're basically telling you to see a doc to see if 'something' is going on. And since it's purportedly a very sensitive test for possible insults to the liver, it could be that it might simply be reflecting alcohol intake as an 'insult.' The best way to find out is to check with your doc.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers