Gastroenterology Community
gastritis, chest pain, and omeprazole

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

gastritis, chest pain, and omeprazole

I've been on 40mg omeprazole once daily for a little over a week now. I had a gastroscopy a couple of weeks ago and my GI doctor says I have gastritis. The only symptom I have (for upper GI stuff anyway) is mild chest pain usually after eating. The last few days I have been noticing the chest pain more often, especially when I burp. It's on the left side side of my sternum (just next to my left breast). My primary care doctor doesn't think it's cardiac since exercise has no effect on it.

Is this just part of gastritis? Asking because it seems to be getting worse AFTER I started the ppi.
Ive been diagnosed with both GERD and gastritis months ago. took double dose of omeprazole daily together with domperidone. It made my condition a lot worse. I considered taking it naturally. I had GERD diet for a week and Im fine now. Try this in your diet.
omeprazole and lansoprazole are PPI's or phroton pump inhibitors which stops the stomach from producing acid. it will just make your condition worse when you try to stop the medication because your body will be relying on the PPI's. aside from that i have read it has tons of side effects from urinary problems to mouth problems.

avoid all gerd triggers, chest pains are symptoms of gerd(acid reflux) which is somehow connected to gastritis due to excess acids.
avoid:
chocolates, milk, tomato based products, oily and fried foods.
try eating soup or rice porridge for a week.
your meal should include foods that can easily be digested (fiber rich foods)

bread, soup(not meat based), eggs(hard boiled) and don't forget to drink apple juice and aloe vera juice. in my experience aloe juice produced better results.
if you are in a tropical country try coconut juice.
do not drink cold water because the stomach temperature affects digestion. the colder your stomach is the longer it will take to digest the food.
avoid cheese and margarine. avoid ice cream.

try this for a week and you will be better. update me for the results. you also contact me to ask if a certain food is fine to eat or not. I'll be more than willing to help.
I was diagnosed with gastritis back in January and I take between 30 and 60mg of lansoprazole daily (depending on how bad the symptoms are!).  Ive suffered from chest pains on and off, sometimes severe enough to make me think I was having a heart attack!!  I had an ECG which was fine and my gastroenterologist said it wasnt cardiac as the pain usually occurred whilst I was sitting and that if it was heart related it would get worse whilst I was exercising.  It can be frightening but I felt calmer once he told me that.  Do you get nausea as well because for me this is the worst symptom I have?

avoid:

Hi, thanks for your response. No, I do not usually suffer from nausea, except occasionally. I'm pretty sure my chest pain is not cardiac either since I exercise 60-90 minutes daily and it does not get worse during that. Most of the time I notice the pain is after eating, and especially if I burp it gets worse, but I do have chest pain away from meals as well.
This was my only symptom prior to my gastroscopy, and it's gotten worse since I started the omeprazole... I thought that was strange since it is supposed to help my stomach heal not cause more pain.
I am suffering from chest pain from the past six days and it is like it happens when I got some problem in stomach. I know that somewhere I am going through gastric problem and I dont want to get it worse.

I have to consult with a doctor on this issue so that he will suggest me some medication that requires for my health.

I totally avoid some food like, cheese margarine and many stuffs that harms allot.

http://www.liferaftgroup.org/

Thanks for the info. I talked to the nurse in my doctor's office right before I started the omeprazole and she said they really only wanted me to be on the ppi just long enough to allow the lining of my stomach to heal, and then I would need to make dietary changes afterwards to keep the gastritis from coming back. She did mention avoiding acidic foods (tomatoes, citrus, etc), but that was it. I just started some dietary changes yesterday, so we'll see how it goes. I will have to avoid alchohol (that'll put a crimp in my social life!), caffeine, citrus, fatty foods, etc. I didn't know about milk being a problem, so thanks for that. Is yogurt okay? I don't eat much dairy besides yogurt...

Is meat (lean beef, chicken, etc) usually a problem for gastritis/GERD? I also have an iron deficiency from being a vegetarian for 10+ years and I just recently started an iron supplement and eating chicken/beef again, so it might be diffcult for me to avoid all meat...

Well, anyway I hope this chest pain goes away soon... it seems I have it whether or not I eat anything, though it's worse after food.
meat will not be a problem especially chicken. make sure you just chew it thoroughly for it to be digested easily. milk is actually not good for gastritis, it provides temporary relief as what the early medical studies says but it transforms to lactic acid while in the stomach.

definitely avoid alcohol but it will be worth the wait, now im back to drinking (at last) tried brandy gin and beer and i think im fine but I definitely avoid vodka since it has cause me hyper-acidity ever since.
i have gastritis and stones as well... and i need help in wat kind of foods can i eat i tried plenty of foods to make but i still have pain. and i feel like i havent ate when i just ate like 20 mins ago..
Hey,

Iam having chest pain since last four days(on and off).pain increases after eating for few minutes and then again goes back to mild throbbing.stomach feels bloated all the time.have a very metallic taste in mouth(water brash) and belching, Dr said its APD(acid peptic disease).he gave me rabeprazole and domperidome 20 + 30 mg.one for a day for 7 days,prior to that(different dr. gave digene total and mucaine 2 times a day didn't help.took for 2 days) am worried as i have read a lot about PPI bad side effects,please help me .iam 31 years old and planning for a baby.is it cure able(iam a foodie)please help me dont wanna spend rest of my life on PPI.
thanks in advance

anu