Gastroenterology Community
h, pylori

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

h, pylori

About 6 months ago I started having the most severe stomach pain along with burning. I went to the doctor and I had H. Pylori. I was treated with the usual antibiotics and acid reducer. The symptoms subsided some but I noticed that I was not able to eat certain foods. Then I was scheduled for a hysterectomy about 2 months later everything went fine until a few days later I began to have severe stomach pain along with the worst diarreah (diarrhea) ever. I went to the doctor and I now had C. Diff. I was told the antibiotics taken for the H. Pylori. made me a prime candidate for this new infection. So I took the new antibiotics prescribed and this to subsided . It has been 4 months later and I wake one morning with the  severe stomach pain truly feeling like i am dying I have blood work done and it is positive for H. Pylori again. My question is how often can I expect this reoccur and is this common? When I have a flair up of this I am in bed for at least three days and nearly dehydrate . What are your thoughts ?  
My husband had this a few years ago,,it is contagious through saliva..so I got tested too was negative,,,was your partner tested..also if you share bites of food or a soda with kids they would needed to of been tested also...it is possible to be a-symptomatic so someone could of had it in your family and not known...get what Im saying could be reinfecting you.

Also did you through out your toothbrush..important after any illness they breed bacteria ,and most pathogens.
If you've had H. pylori in the past, the blood test that you just had is NOT the correct test that should be done to recheck you for H. pylori. You're going to have antibiodies in the blood from that 1st round of H. pylori and the recent blood test may be a false positive. The only test that can be used (with a history of H. pylori infection) is a breath test. Go back and talk to your doc about this. If the breath trest turns up positive, then you need to be treated.

In addition, with your history of antibiotic use, please start on some probiotics and stay on them. Your normal bacteria count and type are probably so skrewed up at this point that that could be causing you some problems in addition to whatever else may be going on.
wow,i wander if thats what i had,just like you one day i woke up,,worse stomach pain i ever had,even sore to the touch,and bloated up,,,,worse diahrea i ever had ,,like peeing out the butt!,,(sorry,but the truth!)
it lasted a day,went to hospital,they did lots of tests,nothing,,the figured food poisoning,,,one month to the day later,,same exact thing happened,,and again,it lats for like 1-2 days,,and gets better.
forgot but it came right back to me when reading what Calgal wrote she is 100% right your blood would remain positive....very suprised a proffesional would not know this ..
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers