Gastroenterology Community
hard stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hard stool

i have had hard stool that has been ripping apart my rectum during my bowel movements
First things to try would be these:

Probiotic every day.  Go to a vitamin or health store and ask for what they recommend.  I don't mean yogurt, because dairy is something you may be better off reducing rather than increasing.  While there, also get magnesium citrate tablets and start those in the morning.  This should speed things up.  Most people are deficient anyway.  Most people do fine with Metamucil.  If you don't want to take the powder mixed in a glass, you can get the capsules.  You take about 5 every night with a big glass of water.  This fixes the problem for most people.  If that isn't enough because perhaps your intestinal tract is long or twisty, you may need something stronger like Miralax.  This one you will have to mix, but it just makes water taste a little like distilled water.  I find water works best.  I find it important to avoid sugary drinks, including much juice.  Drinking water and unsweetened coffee only really controls the amount of sugar I get, and helps the probiotic do its job.  Other things that help can be yoga moves and walking, but exercise is very hard to do when you are at the most constipated.  
I forgot to mention that one way to get things started is with glycerin suppositories.  It helps lubricate things and irritate the muscles into getting started, but I'd start all the other things first.  If you don't have those, you could also lubricate the area with petroleum jelly to protect the tissues, and pushing thru the sphincter to place the jelly can help the muscles wake up and work.  
Hi! Sorry for late reply,just wanna sayThank u so much for all the informations you have shared! Godbless!