Gastroenterology Community
hardness around belly button

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hardness around belly button

Not sure what my problem is related to, but I noticed today a hard circular area around my belly button.  I have not felt very well for the past 2 weeks.  Feel extremely bloated and have not had a "normal" bowel movement in some time.  I took some ladies gentle laxatives this week and they did nothing.  I have eaten 1000 calories or less for a week and a half and have actually gained 1/2 pound.  I belch an awful lot and seem to have quite a bit of gas.  I have been on previcid for a while and recently changed to  platonix (sp).  I am looking for some answers....can u help?

Gigi01
I think I know what you're noticing with the belly button.  Right above it is where the large bowel loop goes across the abdomen.  Since you have been constipated and haven't passed waste, that's what you're feeling, a swollen and gassy bowel.  Once you finally get a few good bowel movements, that part of your tummy will flatten back out.

Enemas will sometimes break down waste, takes a few goes at it.  Or if you know it's right there and ready to come out, get a little box of "Baby Lax" and squit two in, it'll come right out.  The sorts of fiber things to consume to get everything moving again is salads, blueberries, whole wheat bread and oat cereal.  Drink lots and lots of water, try to stretch or exercise daily, and eat Activia yogurt or drink Acidophilus milk from the grocery store, they have "probiotics" in it that help break down waste.