Gastroenterology Community
help no bowel movement in 8 months

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

help no bowel movement in 8 months

Im a 22 year old woman. I have been living a nightmare for 8 months. In these last 8 months i have taken laxative after laxative and stool softeners (all prescribed ones)  as well as senna, dulcolax, dulcosate, fibregel, movicol etc. I have been hospitilized 7 times in this period and each time i recieve 3 daily hot oil enemas and a solution called picolax (usually used before bowel surgery) 3/4 times daily. I have even had a litre of bowel cleanser. I eat a fairly healthy diet and have introduced more salad and veg into it. I have tried every herbal remeday, old wifes tale solutions and all prebiotic drinks on the market. All of this to no avail.
I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE BOWEL MOVEMENT IN 8 MONTHS NOW and was in total despair with different drs giving me different advice. One saying eat fibre one saying dont and such like.
Last week i tried colonic irrigation. i was a new woman, for a couple of days anyway. I am now having colonics weekly along with weekly hot oil enemas and daily laxatives. And STILL no change...
I suffer terrible pain and abdominal distension. I feel nauseos constantly and generally tend to vomit after eating, and when really bad, after drinking anything too. I am constantly tired and my eyes are becomming almost jaundiced.
I have had a top layer bowel biopsy and this has come up normal.

I am at a complete loss and wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or can offer any help??
Dear Loz,
Hon, I am so sorry you are back in the hospital with them clearing out your bowels yet again.  It hurts SO much, and for eight months, too!  I would like to add to the previous posters' ideas some new possible causes for your doctors to do some bloodwork on.  Since you have had hair loss along with your chronic constipation, therefore they need to do a thyroid gland panel to see if it's underactive which is hypothyroidism, and also you need to have your blood sugars tested to see if you have diabetes, and also a check for hypercalcemia (rare), all of which can cause hair loss with your chronic constipation.

This website just below should tell you pretty much everything else you might want to know about the reasons for and treatments for your chronic constipation.  

http://www.mayoclinic.org/constipation/

I think you should also ask the docs if they can perhaps give you a tranquilizer, because eight months of this has to be driving you crazy.  It will help you feel a little more positive about what's going on.  Keep us posted about how things go, child.  We're all worried about you.
GG
I assume by you saying that you have not had a single bowel movement in 8 months means that you have not had one without help.  If you have literately had nothing come out of your rectum in 8 months...that seems impossible.  You might want to consider getting your large intestine removed.  I don't know much about this but there are other people on this forum that could tell you more about this.
They only movement i have had have been very very small results  on 3 occasions after 6enemas and 5 picolax in one day.
Obviously this is very damaging to my insides so cannot be repeated over and over.
I have asked my drs what the next step is and the answer is usually 'wait and see'
wait and see what this dr says
wait and see what this result says
wait and see what happens.
You get the idea but it is VERY frustrating.
I feel like i am getting nowhere
Have you had a colonoscopy?  I assume you haven't because if you've not been able to have a bowel movement, a colonoscopy is impossible.
You need to have an endocopy and colonoscopy to see if there is something going on to prevent you from having a normal bowel movement. Have they done any bloodwork?  Being jaundiced is a symptom of something being wrong, and should not be ignored.  I also think I'd find a new Gastroenterologist.  Take care.
i agree that it seems impossible to not have a bowl movement in 8 months.you would need to be hospitalized.I am 28 and i suffer from chronic constaption due to all the meds i have to take.I NO HOW YOU FEEL WHEN IT COMES TO ABDOMINAL PAIN AND THROWING UP AND BEING TIRED AND DRAINED UNTIL YOU CAN GET THAT STUFF OUT.WHAT HAS YOUR PERSONAL DR SAID OR DID TO HELP YOU OR TO SEE WHAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF IT?
i am in hospital,  th thing about here is th dr dnt seem to care or want to find out. Iv had two barium meal text both of which wernt carried out properly cause of one excuse or another. Thy tried a sigmoidoscopy bt cudnt becoz obviously thy cudnt gt in very far. And iv had a biopsy frm wot thy cud gt to with tht scope. Thats it. Hence the feelin of gettn nowher. Iv had many different drs/consultants and th one am with now seems to be th best of a bad lot in this hospital
sry i dnt no y tht postd twice or y i cnt edit it. I ment to say barium meal tests. Also my skin is a mess, hair is falling out becoz of th toxins and th pressure in my abdomen is so great tht i am self catheterised every time i need t urinate.
Dear Loz,

http://www.mayoclinic.org/constipation/

GG
Many thanks for your suggestions.
I am getting a new consultant next week apparently so hopefully ill get out by then or just after.
I can ask my new consultant about thyroid and diabetes, i have mentioned thyroid to my current consultant and he has not taken any notice.
I work in the lab in this hospital, well when im not here as a patient lol. So i have a fair idea about blood tests.
I have been given trazadone ( i think thts the right one) to help me sleep and citalopram as an anti-depressant so feeling a little less anxious about the whole situation.

Hopefully this new consultant is better than all the others i've had. With them i have felt as though they are not believing me almost. I have askd nurses to sit with me before during and after mealtimes so they can actually witness the extend of my sickness. ( As one dr has previously suggested that i had an eating disorder and was making myself sick) which is most definatly NOT the case. I just feel like i am constantly having to prove that i am actually ill and not faking this.

At 22 i can think of a million better ways to spend my time rather than being in a hospital bed. I'l let you know what happens next. Many thanks

There have been postings on Medhelp whereby a total colectomy has been mentioned as a treatment of last resort to overcome chronic constipation.  I underwent this operation about six years ago - but for torrential diverticular bleeding (not chronic constipation).  In response to another Medhelp patient's posting, I recorded my experiences on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

You may like to have a look at this and perhaps discuss the idea with your specialist if none of the usual remedies are working for you.  If a decision is made to undergo a total colectomy then choose a specialist G.I.surgeon and a hospital where these operations are regularly performed.

regards
Morecambe
Many thanks for your suggestion.I will ask the consultant about this but i think he is quite reluctant to do that type of surgery due to my age. Or so he says, to be honest thats the only real hope of fixing this i think.
Are you feeling any better? I am 22 also and I have been having the same symptoms as you.  I haven't had a normal bowel movement for 4 months.  After a month of no bowel movements I just get diarrhea for a whole day.  I have no idea what could be wrong. We are so young, i don't understand!
Have they checked you for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction or Rectocele?  I always google my symptoms and these two come up as well as a whole bunch of other ones.  By the way, you definitely need to change your doctor, no one seems to be doing anything for you.  They should of found out what was wrong by now.  I cant say much for myself, I haven't even seen a doctor yet. I don't have insurance.
well im out of hospital. I live in scotland so im lucky, free health care. I am stll at war with my consultant t mak him actually do sumthin. Round n round in circles we go. As we speak im feelin sore, tired n am th sizeof a whale bt jus gta gt on wit things. How r u feelin?
Dear Loz,
I saw this post come back up to the top again, and I was thinking about what Mammo said about your jaundiced eyes.  So, I wonder if anyone has done a scan of your abdomen, to see if you've got a blocked duct to one of the digestive enzyme glands, like from the liver, from the gallbladder, or from the pancreas, for examples, which a problem with the liver might give you jaundice, and also if digestive enzymes aren't getting through, you'll have worlds of trouble passing waste.  A scan would also show if you have a twisted bowel, or a blockage from a growth, particularly let's say you have a benign growth on your kidneys, a problem with kidneys can make jaundice and also a big enough one might be blocking the bowel.  Just some more ideas to throw out there.

Also, I was so pleased to hear you got some sleepy medicine, at least someone there paid attention to you.  I thought you were going to get a new consultant.  You poor thing, and to think you work in that hospital.  Hmmm.  Maybe you could get friendly with the CT scan people or another doc, and they could run you through it on an off day.  By the way, I visited Scotland, rode a train to Inverness, I could feel my Scottish lineage whilst there.  

And to GAB, I hope this thread will help you, too.
GG  
Many thanks for your suggestions they did a ct scan of my abdomen way back in december. but only really focused on my bowel. ie to  check for obstructions and such like. They havnt said anything about enzymes to me so that could be somethin worth checking out. I've spent yet more time in hospital now and this new consultants attitude was, and i quote ' We dont really know whats wrong with you,im recommending you be discharged from our care' Obviously i have fought his decision and have yet ANOTHER consultant!
Is there actually any NHS doctors/consultants that will try and get to the bottom of this, exscuse the pun lol, instead of pawning me off??
And Inverness is lovely, i live in a town called Elgin, about 40mins east of inverness. Did you enjoy Scotland?
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers