Gastroenterology Community
hernia repair and tummy tuck
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hernia repair and tummy tuck

I had open Roux-en-y bypass surgery 5 years ago. 6 months after I had a double hernia repair below my belly button.
Now, I have a very large hernia above my belly button.
I have lost 102 lbs. altogether.
Why is it not recommended to have a hernia repair and a tummy tuck at the same time?
In a tummy tuck doesn't the doctor bring the muscles together and tighter? Wouldn't that help to re-enforce the
wall protecting the intestine from another possibility of another hernia?  And if I do have the hernia repair, will I still be able to have a tummy tuck? If so, how long after should I wait? The hernia is about a small fist size.
Thank-you for any info. I am scheduled for the hernia repair this Friday morning.