Gastroenterology Community
hiatal hernia and alcohol abuse

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hiatal hernia and alcohol abuse

My alcoholic husband has had esophageal varices for 4 years.  He has been diagnosed without scope this week with hiatal hernia, and he now also has sleep apnea. I know the varices is related to is heavy long term abuse of alcohol. What about the hernia and apnea, is this yet more problems we can fairly say his alcohol abuse has been the main contributing factor to there appearance?
A hiatal hernia cannot be attributed to alcohol use. Many people have them. Hiatal hernias result when the tissues of the diaphragm 'loosen' for whatever reason allowing the top portion of the stomach to poke through the bigger opening.

I don't believe you can attribute sleep apnea to the alcohol either, but there may be studies that suggest otherwise.