Gastroenterology Community
hiatus hernia

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hiatus hernia

I had surgery for a hiatus hernia in February this year as the acid reflux got so bad that it no longer could be controlled with tablets. since i came round from the operation i have suffered with serve pain in my left shoulder all the way to the tip which worsens once i eat or do day to day jobs which involve a lot of lifting or movement in my arm the pain has got so bad that it keeping me up at night and stopping me working. I have since seen the surgeon who said he needed to open me back up and release a few stiches around my diaphragm which he carried out on the 4th August this year and at the same time removed my Gall bladder due to a stone. once i came round from the operation i knew straight away what he had done hadn’t worked as i awoke with the same pain in my shoulder and was being  sick with acid i have since seen the surgeon this week who is now at a loose end as to what causing the shoulder pain and he doesn’t believe he can do any more i am at a loose end as to why i am in so much pain which i didn’t have before these operations and worsens on eating, I am on so many pain killers to try keep the pain at bay I hate feeling and being so ill, the surgeon  has now suggested i go for an MRI scan? I hopping you could shed any light as i believe it’s got to be due to the operation?  Another surgeon of his team has suggested undoing the wrap and trying it the opposite way round to see if this would release the nerves he has hit.

Sally.