Gastroenterology Community
hida scan with cck

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hida scan with cck

i had a hida scan with cck this morning.  when the nurse injected the cck i started having severe pain from the site of the gallbladder that radiated to the opposite side.  the pain came in waves and did not stop a few hours after the test was done.  is this normal or an indication that my gallbladder is not functioning properly
For me personally, the same thing happened.  My scan indicated that my gallbladder was not functioning properly and my doc said the cck sometimes causes pain in those who have malfunctioning gallbladders.  I hope you get well soon.  Good luck.  
I had this happen to me also and my GI surgeon said that the severe pain from the CCK is a red flag that the gallbladder isn't working and needs to come out. The CCK was one of the worst experiances in my life because I threw up for like 3 solid minutes and hurt so badly. Hope you feel better and good luck if you need surgery!!
thank you so much for the responses.  i was afraid that it was a red flag.  now i have to sit and wait for my dr to get the results and go from there.   three years of living nauseated and wanting to throw up all the time is enough.  i'm ready for this to stop.  surgery will be a blessing if it comes to that.  i just want to feel better.
just a follow up message...got my test results today...gallbladder is functioning at 10%...it's off to surgery for me....never thought i'd be this happy about someone cutting me open...but hey if it makes me feel better i'll give em the knife.  thanks again for your responses
The HIDA scan with the reaction to CCK is the gold standard for diagnosing gall bladder dysfunction. My daughter went through the same battery and had her gall bladder removed in Jan.
My daughter's was 4% function and had pain that took her breath away!  They say it's human judging the pain after the injection along with the xrays and how many mins it takes for the injection to visually track down along the GI pathways .. those are 3 things together to make a result.

The surgeon told us that the lower the #, the greater % the surgery would be successful.  So for her she had a 96% anticipated success rate and she was 100% pain free from GB issues 2hrs after her surgery moving forward a year and one-half later.

She was only 17.  Born with dysfunctioning GB with anomolies from birth they confirmed after the biopsy but no stones.

C~
My daughter has suffered with chronic nausea for several years. She recently had an ultrasound and hida scan, both showing normal gall bladder appearance and function. She was told to go to a surgeon to discuss gall bladder removal anyway, because she had such a bad reaction during the hida scan. Does this sound right? Why would removing the gall bladder help if everything looks normal on the tests? She is becoming depressed from feeling sick all the time. Help!