Gastroenterology Community
how long am i contagious

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

how long am i contagious

I have had c-diff 4 times in 5 months...have been on flagyl and then vanco...have had my potassium level go down to 2.4 and have had to have a total of 11 bags of potassium during three stays in the hospital....my last bout with c-diff was a mild case as i felt ok except for the one day of diarrhea.....i had my potassium level checked and it was ok.  i am on acidolophis 3 billion cell pills....the cdiff support.com site said that 10 billion cells should be taken 6-8 times a day..i have been increasing my intake and am taking a total of 36 billion cells a day.  my energy level still isn't up to what it was before i first contracted cdiff (due to 3 very strong antibiotics within 19 days)..

MY question is HOW long am i contagious??? I clean the toilet seat with anti-bacterial wipes after ever trip to the bathroom and i wash my hands a zillion times a day.     Is it safe for intimate relations? and what precautions should I take? and for how long?????

FYI...the cdiffsupport.com site is no longer available.

This discussion is related to finally tested negative for c. diff but still feeling symptoms.
  • MSMM (4 replies):
    RN with presumptive c diff. (Presumptive because MD nor ...[more]
  • cures for c-dif (1 replies):
    what can you do for c-dif This discussion is related ...[more]
  • C Diff (2 replies):
    My 80 year old mother was just diagnosed with C diff and...[more]
  • Syntol & Infrared Saunas (1 replies):
    Does using a infrared sauna kill of the spore germinatio...[more]
  • cdif (1 replies):
    hi my name is clare im 29 wks pregnant i work in a car...[more]
Hm, C-diff is not really - contagious, since it is a normal bacteria in the colon. It only causes problems, when it overgrowths. Overgrowth of C-diff does not occur with infection, but because of derranged colonic flora, usualy after taking antibiotics.

Well, infection could occur in immunodeficient person. So, theoretically C-diff is contagious, but regarding your symptoms tend to improve (so less C-diff), you may re-consider your "surgery level" of disinfection...:)
Ditto what boron said, everything I read say it's not contagious unless this will sound gross you eat the fecal material.  Which is why washing hands is so important. from everything I read (I am not expert) you are doing the right things.

I have cdiff and got it after taking antiobitocs.  Im on my 3rd round of flagy, doc says im not sick enough to try vacno yet

Hang in there, it's tough im really struggling myself.
Actually c diff CAN be contagious.  You can kill the bacteria with flagyl and vancomycin but it still releases spores and spores are very difficult to kill.  Most products on the market will NOT kill them, then when you touch something you can re-infect yourself. I have a friend who contracted it from work (we are all nurses) and it seems to be usually spread from fecal to mouth.  ItI is actually found in the air and in soil, naturally.  There are PDI wipes that can be bought online and I think, they kill the spore, but gloves must be worn when doing so.  I have had many patients with c diff, it's tough to get rid of.  Good luck to you.