Gastroenterology Community
how long will it take to heal?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

how long will it take to heal?

Hello...I've had my colostomy bag on for almost 2 years now. I will have my colostomy reversal in march...i was wondering if i need to be ready for it,or what will happen after that,or what should i know. Anybody help me please.
Start with probiotics and do not miss a day.  Also check your body with pH test strips (at health store)  Alkalize your body.  No breads...it has mycotoxins and alot have sodium benzoates...(not good).  Read every chemical that goes into your body.
This is a long time to have a colostomy bag before they reverse it.  I assume you've had some problems?  There is really no prep for this other than what your doctor tells you.  After it is reversed, your biggest issue will be the many BM's you will have.  This will improve with time, but diet plays a big role in this and always will.  You will learn what foods make it worse so you can avoid them, and eating jello every day helps as well. You'll need to be more aware of how much easier you can become dehydrated, so keep yourself well hydrated especially when exercising, or in the heat.  Water is good but orange juice and low sugar Gatorade will replenish your electrolytes.  Eating a banana every day helps maintain your potassium levels.  If you ever get the stomach flu and your BM's become watery, and/or vomiting you will become dehydrated very easily.  The symptoms are nausea, dizziness upon standing, and extreme fatigue and weakness.  Don't mess around with this, go to the ER for IV hydration which will take 3-4 hours.  Other than this, you will live a normal life.  My son had a total colectomy at 12 and is 39 today.  He has a stomach virus and spent 4 hours at the hospital getting hydrated just yesterday.  He needs to do this 1-2 times every winter, but he is not able to get a flu shot because it is egg based and he is allergic to eggs.  He has a full life and is married.  He just completed a 100 mile trail run in record time, along with being an ultrathoner, he is a mountain biker, avid hiker that puts him in the mountains with nobody for miles and miles.  He also competes in jujitsu.  He says it's attitude, and staying on top of your health.  You will have a normal life with a few adjustments in your diet.  In the beginning keep some vaseline on your bottom to keep from getting sore from the many BM's.  I wish you all the best, and take care.
Sorry, I didn't really address your question.  It will take a few days for your intestines to start working after the surgery.  Once they do, you will be given foods easy on your stomach to start with and progress from there.  You should feel pretty good within 2-3 weeks of surgery.