Gastroenterology Community
hungry and nausea all the time? help me!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hello everyone. im new to this forum.
for the past few months ive been experiencing a pain in my upper/mid stomach. its like an empty pit kind of feeling. even if i eat a huge meal, i still feel hungry. my lower stomach feels bloated hough? it makes me have really bad nausea too. it comes and goes. the last time it came i remember i was drinking a fruit smoothie and then all the sudden i felt the empty pit and got really nauseous. does anyone know whats going on? i dont want to go to my doctor. he thinks im crazy and that im just making stuff up (like a hypocondriac).
any help would be great! thanks. :)
I have an answer for you, but I need to here some more symptoms from you. Hunger and bloating after fruit smoothie were nicely described. Can you list some other foods which bloat you, and can you name some other symptom (skin, mouth...)?
so far i've noticed when i drink a lot of water on an empty stomach, salsa, fruits (mainly apples). i dont have many other symptons besides headaches but thats caused by my tmj. My throat gets sore occasionaly and by ears bother me sometimes. thats about it though. i just ate a bowl of cereal 2 hours ago and it didnt fill me up at all. the top/mid of my stomach feels like im starving but yet i feel bloated? its a strange feeling...thanks for helping me!
i also forgot to add that i dont go to the bathroom as much as i should...maybe a few times a week...
OK, look, there may be two things here at the same time.

1st)
Intestinal candida (or bacteria) overgrowth. There are bacteria normally present in the colon and in less amount in small intestine. These bacteria mainly eat sugars (glucose, fructose...), they break them down and produce gas. If bacteria overgrow they produce more gas, and this directly depend on what you eat.

Try this diet trial:
EXCLUDE as much as possible of the following for at least 3 days:
- SUGAR (glucose): table sugar, sweets...
- FRUITS (fructose) and fruit juices
- MILK (lactose) and any dairy product
- BEER (maltose) and any other alcohol
- STARCH (glucose): potatoes, wheat

You can drop all at once, and if bloating improves, add them back one food group each other day from the bottom of the list to the top, but SUGAR and FRUITS will very likely bloat you again.
If you won't be able to solve this with the diet, you should have a breath test for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) made by gastro specialist. If positive, treatment is with antibiotics.

If not bacteria, it may be candida
http://www.allhealthsite.com/40/intestinal-candida-overgrowth/

2nd)
Pain in the stomach or duodenum is mostly from gastritis or ulcer. Any acidic food tends to increase pain. Usual cause is Helycobacter pylori bacteria, diagnosis is with breath test. H. pylori often causes burping and heartburn.

Like said, it may be both 1) and 2).
i had blood work done a few days ago for bacteria and also had a urine test..both were negative. they gave me prevacid to take..i've been taking it for 4 days and no change. does that eliminate any of your theories or would the blood work not detect the bacteria that your talking about? a coworker told me it could be acid refulx? but i dont have heartburn..just nausea..

also, with the diet that you suggested...im not sure i understand, do i want to be bloated? because you said if bloating improves?

thanks again for the reply. i really dont want to have to go see the doc. moneys tight so i really appreciate you helping me :)
Ok, first with my English...

Bloating improves = bloating goes away, OK? :) . Bacteria eat sugars, I've listed above and produce gas. So, no sugars no gas. This is ment as a diagnostic trial. So, if this diet helps, it means the bacteria are the problem. These are normal bacteria, but overgrown. Now, you can stick with the-low-sugar diet or have a breath test which show bacterial overgrowth, and then treat bacteria with antibiotics. But, as I suggested it may also be candida, which are not bacteria, but yeasts; lower abdominal bloating made me think aboout this, since candida mainly resides in the colon.

If no heartburn, and Prevacid did not help, it means that gastritis is not likely.

Again, I recommend you to make those diet trials. Just start with sugars and fruit/fruit juices. Exclude all of them for 3 days, and if "my theories" are right, your bloating should go away. :)
hi! i have something similar to what you are describing, its like i am TOO hungry to eat!!  did you find out what it is? i was thinking that maybe it could be hyperthyroidism - when the thyroid gland produces too much hormone which makes your metabolism go crazy. i am having a blood test for it at the moment. let me know if you are better, sar
sar,
i went to my doctor a week ago and he said that the way i was feeling was due to being "backed up". he told be to take stool softners or laxs to get cleansed. he said that i felt like i had an empty pit at the top of my stomach because of the pressure from not going to the bathroom. since then, i have gone & i feel the same? so i dont know what to do. i heard it take a couple weeks to get regular so maybe once i do get regular the feeling of emptiness will go away.

as far as hypthy,i had blood test and it showed nothing. so i dont think thats it.

what did your doc say?
He said that although my thyroid levels were normal, my thyroid antibodies were not - this can mean graves disease.

i need to go back for another blood test in a month though to confirm this.

Make sure you had a thyroid antibody test when you got your thyroid levels done.
Sarah
Hey Ladies!
  I am having this same issue!  Have either of you found out anymore information?  I get that sick feeling in my stomach that you get when you haven't eaten and your blood sugar is low, but when I eat it doesn't go away.  I constantly feel hungry.  I've also noticed that I'm not as regular as usual.  The emptiness is in my upper stomack right under my ribs but my lower stomach bubbles and feels bloated.

I hope you both feel better and please let me know if you find out anything!
This is all really interesting. I've had these same symptoms a lot. I'd be interested when you all find out what it is. I thought it was because of all the other digestive issues I have to begin with.
I always thought nausea and gnawing hunger pains could be from an ulcer? Has anyone else heard of this? I know I've had ulcers in the past so I just don't know if that's why I've felt these symptoms too. I've gotten pretty good over the years of ignoring a lot so I'm trying to pay more attention to what's going on in my body lately.
Keep in touch and let us know what you find out from the doctors. I wish you all well! Hope everyone feels better and gets answers soon!
April
I too have had this for 3 YEARS now. Sometimes im ok, mostly i want to eat and i cant because im to hungry.

I have been prety stressed hese last few years, and when i was at my thinnest, i was at my most stressed.

If i have something on my mind thats bothering me my glands in my throat swell up, unless i chill out asap i get tonselites (had it 5 times in last 6 years).

Can i ask some of you a question or 2?

1)Do you, or did you smoke alot of marijuana?....what happened when you stopped.....
2)Was there a definate time you can remember suddenly, for the first time, being skinny and self consious?
3) Do you worry alot? Are you happy?

I had a thyroid test done last year, my thyroid levels were at the TOP END of the "safe" scale, apparently, a DR told me

So therefor my conclusion is that we all must have SOMETHING in common.

If the Dr says to us all, that they dont know what it is, or prescribe you some silly drug that does NOTHING for you, then it has to be something that WE are doing, or feeling that gives us these symptoms......think about this one and tell me what you think.

Fin
hiya, i will answer your questions! 1 - no never smoked a lot of marijuana.
2-I wouldn't say that i am self conscious about how i look, i just worry that i will feel bad at social events which normally makes my stomach feel worse because i am worried - it's a cycle! 3-i am happy apart from my stomach problems.

I am starting to think that it is to do with anxiety because i have been getting a really fast pounding heart and also sometimes get really flushed / red rashes on my chest if i am nervous. Does anyone get this as well as their stomach problems? I don;t think i have graves disease because i went back for another blood test.
I had a lot of these same problems over a year ago.  I did a lot of online research and found that it was most likely caused by a wheat or Gluten intolerence.  Here is a list of the symptoms of a wheat allergy or wheat intolerance (not exhaustive by any means):
Arthritis
Bloated stomach
Chest pains
Depression or mood swings
Diarrhoea
Eczema
Feeling dizzy or faint
Joint and muscle aches and pains
Nausea or vomiting
Palpitations
Psoriasis
Skin rashes
Sneezing
Suspected irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)/similar effects
Swollen throat or tongue
Tiredness and lethargy
Unexplained cough
Unexplained runny nose
Watery or itchy eyes

I dealth with many of the listed items here like bloating, gas, but also feeling full and hungry at the same time and also heart palpitations and heartburn.  I tried Prilosec, tums, eating more often, drinking more water.. you name it.. the ONLY thing that ever made me feel better was eliminating wheat and gluten from my diet.  It took about 3 or 4 days to START feeling better and within 2 weeks I felt better than i had in a long time.  Try it and see if it works for you
I've had the same syptoms (symptoms)! I feel so hungry all the timeit makes me feel like im going to vomit im so hungry, even like 20 minutes after eating a HUGE meal! Me and my boyfriend thought maybe i was pregnant (maybe the bloating was actually a baby?) But now that I read this maybe its something totally different...
Hi all,

I woke up one day last june with my stomache hurting extremely bad and had nausea with dry heaves and diahrea. I went to the emergency room and they couldn't find anything wrong. This lasted for weeks and I litteraly couldn't eat, had no appetite and actually lost 25lbs. I got better for 2 weeks and then boom, it happened all over again with no answers. I got mostly better after a couple months but still feel hungry with growling almost all the time no matter how much I eat or what I eat or drink.Also I have bloating alot with growling at the same time. I still get nausea sometimes too. For months I ate because I had to, but nothing sounded good or tasted good. There was a time when I could never ever get full no matter how much I ate, but now sometimes I can get full but it only lasts about 5 minutes and then hungry again. I had test after test after test and doctors found nothing wrong. They checked my colon, esophogus, bladder, kidneys, liver,and did lots of blood work etc etc. Have any of you found any answers to your problems that actually worked? Please let me know if anyone has any answers.

Thank you
Yea I have problems similar but worse than some but not worse than AA41.

I basically can have a perfect day and not feel shaky or faint if I eat small but freq meals. I cannot eat alot at 1 time without stomach pain so I generally don't gorge myself no matter what. Sometimes I eat something, like today...a grilled pork chop and 1 baked potatoe and it was a great meal until 2.5 to 3 hours later...whoa...started feeling dizzy , nausea, and starving all at once...it's the worst. Sometimes I even get a huge crash and practically have to lay down on the spot. MY basic urine and blood tests are excellent so my DR thinks I'm in the best shape of most 38 year olds he's ever seen so I never tell him how I feel. I'm thinking we all might be allergic to something in food we can't detect...a spice....MSG...something... perhaps we need an allergist to run a test strip...I'm at my wits end as I also get migraines and now this food thing is kicking up and I almost never feel good.... I also get so hungry in the morning I must eat and only get like 4-5 hours sleep even if I am totally exhausted. I'm really wishing I was just dead because I cannot work with no energy, nasea, trembling.... it's ridiculous. I am very thin and muscular @ 130 and never can gain weight. I actually think of fat people as healthy now because it seems I cannot absorb the calories I am eating or something. You'd think someone that works out alot would actually gain size but I don't. I just keep gaining strength but no size or weight.... I don't mind being thin, but all the symptoms are intolerable and no one should live like this. I also do think my tongue is a bit larger than normal because swallowing can be difficult at times.
Hi there, I can't help but wonder if you have ever been the victim of abuse or of severe emotional trauma.

The reason I y this us because you sound EXACTLY like a friend of mine whose dad was a monster. Because of the constant fear and anxiety she went through as a child, her body became a fight-or-flight machine, adrenaline pumping all the time, unable to slow her metabolism.

She struggled for years not knowing what it was; finally it was diagnosed as CSS - chronic stress syndrome. She was on an almost carb-free diet her whole adult life because just minutes after eating them, her body would burn them up and she would crash in the form of dizziness, dark vision, even fainting. So, all meats and low-starch veggies were her norm.

Now that she has a diagnosis though, she has learned to manage the stress (which involved deleting drama from her life and the people who caused it for her) and is now able to have sweets, breads, starches, and some alcohol - all in small doses.
Best of all, she finally has an answer and a game plan. I hope this helps you. Or somebody who comes across this thread down the line...
Adult Victims of Child Abuse will often display a variety of physical symptoms related to CPTSD or CSS - (chronic stress syndrome/or chronic post traumatic stress disorder). Patterns of behaviour are woven into the human psyche like a computer program, literally. Self programming does not occur until the human being reaches puberty, 10-13 yrs.  All program codes downloaded prior to “self programming” are then used for “self programming”. I use this venacular because it speaks to our generation.  An adult who suffered abuse as a child, verbal, physical, and/or sexual all have dramatic long-term affects on the Operating Systems integrity.  You are infected with a virus, nothing you did, but it got in you and if you don’t “reformat” your psyche/hard drive, you will experience all sorts of “bugs”, crashes, and eventually total failure.  A printer stops working - fatigue - a camera no longer captures the image - depression - etc.  70% of the US female population and 40% of the male are reported to have had a sexual abuse/molestation/assault/or trauma in their life prior to adulthood.  Many people looking for physical answers to problems will be eternally frustrated.  The fact is, working the mind is much easier and more effective. The Mind can literally reveal exactly what is wrong, be it emotional/mental, spiritual, or physical.  Today, spending so much time testing this or that leads people into a matrix of confusipon for years.  It takes no risk to seek out a skilled Medicine Man or Meditation Guru and engage in 4-6 sessions directly asking the question you are posting here..”I’m hungry and naseaus, I eat but can’t get full and it’s making me sick. Why?”  This technique helps you to learn how to disable your self-programming mechanism and inspect the codes!  What you are doing by looking for physical answers is using the same codes that got you in this mess - not that they are even yours!  They in fact, are most likely a hybrid of your codes and a viral overlay - which is why I use the venacular - you must upload an ANTI-Virus program, but before you can, you need to identify the bug!  A Shaman can induce a trance state and see him/her self and/or in combination can induce a trance state upon the patient to access the “mainframe”! Child Abuse is an epidemic in the western world, the most under-reported crime and most prevalent in society - it is the elephant ghost of our societal disease. taking from children starts in the home and this results in a diseased society.  Honor your children and they will never need a commandment to honor you - that will be as natural as health! :)
Your advice to km88 is something I will try.  I have close to the same issue but i have stomach flutters too. I thouht for a few months I was pregnant I had a lot of milk products.
Thank you will try the diet and see what happens
Hey I have been feeling the same thing for the past 4 days now. The first time i got it I had a migraine, after I didn't get a migraine again but I get a sick feeling in my stomach, and feel really bloated and bubbly, even if I eat a huge mount of food, 2 hours later i will feel starving again. It even wakes me up in the middle of the night. My muscle aches, and I feel really nausea and starving at the same time.even when I don't feel hungry which is rare my stomach really hurts. Just yesterday my sister got the same thing.  But my sister and i have been eating wheat our whole life, is it possible that We would suddenly get wheat or gluten intolerance, and if so how did it happen, and how did we both get it?
I am having this problem too. I don't know way
i just started having this problem tonight i woke up and had a major migraine but it was behind my right ear like right no the ear and an empty feeling in my stomach well the headache prevented me from eating knowing that i'd vomit i took 4 Excedrin and went back to bed now the headache is gone but my lower stomach feels bloated like its full of gas and my upper stomach feels like a pressure pain i have tried eating and nothing has changed i feel almost nauseous and when i do burp it has the weirdest taste to it i have never tasted it before but it doesn't taste very good but also when i do burp i feel better for a few seconds then the feeling in my upper stomach comes back please any help would be great i know this is an older post but please help.
there are several unrelated issues discussed. My son is suffering from some similar symptoms to the first comments but has no psychological issues or stress type symptoms(He is a very calm, emotionally stable person with average grades and enjoys tennis) Has now missted alot of school but keeps his studies up. His chief concerns are constant uncontrolable hunger, gas, bloating and a red blotchy rash on his face and arms.  We have done blood work, tested for food sensitivities and have taken out gluten, then lactose then both with no change in his status. We will go to the MD again today and everyday until someone listens to what is going on...I will not leave the MD today until they run a GI series and maybe an endoscopy to make sure nothing else is going on!!
Thanks everyone I started feeling this emptiness in my stomach and feeling nauseas, but also with body aches for 2 days now.  I have started eating wheat bread for a month now so I am going to take that out of my diet and afew other things most of you had mentioned.  I see some of you haven't posted for awhile and would like to know if you found any answers to your problems.  Thanks
I noticed what you posted a long time ago about crashing a couple hours agter you eat. There is a good possibilty that is because that is the time that your insulin lebels are highest in the digestion process. Smaller meals with complex carbs should help that rollercoaster. If you are still experiencing it......
I have the exact same symptoms as all of you.  My thyroid has always been barely within range, but otherwise normal.  My vit.D and ferritin are low, but I'm taking vitamins.  One interesting thing was that in my last urine test, I had very few bacteria, very high pH, and a cloudy urine.  Anybody else have this?  I've had ongoing gastrointestinal problems that have been diagnosed as IBS and stress without any tests other than your basic blood test for celiac and checking the aforementioned blood/urine levels.  But recently the pain and such is much worse.  I'm usually very constipated(I had poo backed all the way up into my stomach once) but recently I've been going multiple times a day, which is very uncommon for me.

Has anybody been tested for a bacteria overgrowth like H. Pylori?  I was thinking that might be my issue.

Somebody please report back if they figure it out.  
Wow, I have been having many of the same symptoms you all are describing. Bloating, insatiable hunger, pressure in my throat, belching, but mostly that horrible empty pit feeling like I am starving to death. Food does not help.

What I have observed is that it starts with my ovulation each month and ends when my period is over. It lasts about two weeks every month. Some times it's mild and some times like this month it is unbearable.

I have been gluten free, dairy free, corn free, soy free for a while now with no improvement. Actually nothing I take, change or do seems to make a difference.

This all seems to stem from my hormones. I'm a 49 yr old on the verge of menopause...
Guys and Girls,

After a 6 months of test and hospital, and all test are fine.
I'm never surrender i found a solution for this problem, for me my body normally need the double of iron. Exactly my body need double of iron, all this symptom came because you have a deficiency in Iron, and can you tell me how, every body is different, not all body are same, but if you try to eat Meat and all things contains Iron, after a few day you can start to feel better, normally in your blood the iron level is normal but for us is different you need more of the normal people.

I think is something near to Anemia, but if you feel hungry and at same time you have strong nausea, try Iron, I hope should be work!!! For me work now i can thinking better and my body start to feeling strong and powerful.

Of course you need motivation to eat meat because if you feel a strong Nausea.

I hope this change your life in better!
I hope this the solution for everybody have this problem!

Renzo
I agree with the post from Boron above.

I believe that the s/s  expressed above are a result of either:

1) candida (yeast)
2) bacteria or
3) parasites

I had a negative O/P stool sample. Although no ova was found in my stool, I insisted on parasite treatment. I took only Flagyl (but no Humatin). I felt better for a few days. Then the headaches, nausea, hunger, bloating, fatigue, and gas returned slightly.

To be clear, my doctor was baffled and kept thinking I had a virus. However, after 2 months, I had to insist on blood work (for parasite antibodies and yeast) and fecal tests (for parasites and yeast). My stool results indicated moderate yeast (which is not good). My blood work for yeast was normal.

I had to change my diet and start probiotics (OTC). Also, I was given iron pills and vitamin D pills.

FYI-The probiotics I am using is Kyo-Dophilus capsules.

I am feeling much better.  Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robin
I want to post a comment to this.

I'm 17 years old and have been experiencing these for 3 months already.
I constantly get hungry even though I have just eaten and feel nauseous all the time.

It started when I collapsed due to nausea. It was only once, and it was the first. My mother just told me it was nothing so I didn't mind it. The next few days, I still felt it, nauseous all the time. It became troublesome because i'm currently attending school and it got me almost collapsed while cleaning. I was hungry that time, but believe me, I have just eaten 30 minutes ago and I ate 2 cups of rice for pete's sake. Then it started really bothering me because I don't feel like going to school anymore since it was an hour away from home.

My mother and I visited the doctor but the doctor said it was nothing. I thought I hated the doctor. But he prescribed me a medicine.

Next few days (even with the medicine), I still feel nauseous for no reason at all and nagged my mother about it. She told me to exercise and so I did. I jogged every morning for a week, never worked. My mother again told me to never lie down and sit. I did for a week, never worked. I drank 2-3 liters of water a day for a month, never worked. Ate a lot of vegetables, nothing worked. And so, I stopped nagging her.

Now I still feel nauseous all the time. I feel hungry all the time. I feel like vomiting but nothing's coming out. My lower stomach sometimes feels big especially after urine. I don't know what to do anymore.

But after reading few of these comments, I realized one thing.
Maybe the reason was really stress/anxiety/trauma. I don't know why but my childhood has been haunting me ever since it started plus present problems. Everyone around me thinks I'm all innocent, trustworthy, intelligent, and all because I'm always shut in the house and has someone to fetch me right after school ends, but they don't know what's really happening or happened in the past.

But, yeah, if someone knows how to heal this thing, please let me know.

I just wrote my experience for the sake of those who might be feeling the same as me.
Gastroparesis?

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned this. This is when your stomach doesn't empty properly. Therefore you are both full and, yes, hungry (because your body isn't digesting anything) simultaneously.

High-fiber foods (like smoothies and vegetables) make it worse.

There is information on the Web about it. Good luck to everyone.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers