hypothyroid with distended abdomen
Senior citizen, tsh spike four months ago to 8. (previously, point.7). Within six weeks, it lowered to 1point7.
Abdominal distension which has been a problem for several previous years, has become far worse since the tsh spike, .I am thin but my abdomen protrudes to pregnancy dimensions. I have restricted my diet (no grains,
meats, dairy, or gas producing foods). This prevents sudden worsening of the distension, but
does nothing to reduce the abdominal mass. I have been taking Levothyroxine 50 mg for six years,  
Very oddly, my thin hair is experiencing rapid regrowth since the tsh spike (definitely puzzling!).

I am able to sleep comfortably during the day, but if I try to sleep at night,  I feel facial pressure (silent migraine?) and a morose mood.(depression?). My mood improves dramatically within five minutes if I rise to a standing position and become active..During the day, I can be active for an hour or two, and then need to nap. This is comfortable and mentally refreshing, without the grim mood that I feel sleeping at night..

My strength and postural steadiness have not improved much since the tsh spike, but after these several months I do feel a VERY SCANT improvement. Can I expect to recover completely from this?

This discussion is related to severe bloating, distended abdomen.
I am a 26 year old female and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a year ago. I have experienced a distended stomach/abdomen (below and above my navel), on and off to varying degrees since my diagnosis. My TSH has fluctuated since then (but apparently I am "fine" and within "normal" range now - and have been for a number of months). I have had my synthroid dose upped a few times now. And I now also take T3 (but I had to ask my Endo to do that for me).

However, since March 6th of 2014, I have had this swelling/bloating/distension, it hardly leaves me and it is getting very frustrating! Most days I can't wear certain clothes because they don't fit me!

My GP is stumped, although he wonders if it's a hormonal imbalance. He sent me to an Endocrinologist but she didn't have any immediate answers either. She just looked at me like I was crazy. She is running some tests for a possible hormonal imbalance, but she says that she "doesn't know" what's going on. I had to ask her to put me on T3 as well. She wasn't even going to try me on it to see if that would help relieve my hypo symptoms.

I should also mention that my hair has really been falling out for the last few months, and it is not at all how it was before (I usually have a lot of hair). It takes far less time to dry it, and it doesn't feel the same when I run my hands through it.

My weight fluctuates and I have a hard time losing weight, even if I try. I used to be 140-145 before all of this happened, and prior to my diagnosis I just randomly shot up to 150, and just before and after diagnosis I was 155+! The Endocrinologist recommended that I "just get more exercise" recently. Despite just finishing major renovations to a new house I bought, and I have done a lot of the heavy work myself since February. I also spent a lot of time doing heavy gardening work since then as well - no shift in weight. I wish that these doctors could walk in my shoes for a few days. I don't think they would be as dismissive.

I just want HELP!