GASTROENTEROLOGY
COMMUNITY
i am physically unable to burp.
by paigey1991, Jan 07, 2009
All my life i have been unable to burp. I have these awful embarrassing involuntary gurgles that are sometimes loud and others not as loud. As long as i could remember, i have felt bloated after i eat too much or drink anything. Many people have tried to teach me how to burp but i simply cant. Almost everytime i yawn though, i always seem to let out a tiny burp or maybe a gurgle and i feel a little relief. i have noticed i yawn a lot more than other people, maybe this is a way my body tries to get out the access air. I hardly throw up or get sick. I have thrown up maybe seven or eight times in my life and i am 17 now. I do remember everytime i throw up i belch really loud before doing so. It sounds horrific and i have never heard anyone burp the way i do when i am sick. No one believes i cant burp, even the people who have heard my gurgles. My mothier thinks i am weird and refuses to take me to any kind of docter because she thinks i am making this up. i am afraid that if i dont get help soon i might just blow up. Recently, i was curious if i was the only one with this problem so i did some research online. I have come to find that many people have experienced what i have but i have heard nothing about a cure or a name for this problem. If someone has an answer or the same or similar problem, please let me know (:

thank you so much,
paige.
Member Comments (240)
by jmh987, Jan 14, 2009
I have also had this problem, all of the symptoms you have mentioned, all 36 years of my life. I also belch quite loudly when I vomit, which I, too, have never heard anyone else do that. Often, I feel nauseas and it has also led to anxiety for me, as it does many. To date, I have not heard of a solution, except to have an upper GI series completed (endoscopy). Don't worry, you are fully knocked out when they do this. I had heard that a sphincter-like muscle near the stomach and esophagus  (Schatzki ring) may not be fully extended, causing some to not have the ability to burp. Again, this can be corrected, with the only drawback being that it only lasts for a year or so. It does have a name, called Schatzki Syndrome. So, Paige, you are not alone. I've come to the conclusion that it is a physiological problem.
by Mysfyt, Jan 14, 2009
I have had the same problem my entire life.  I've always wished I could - people seem to get a lot of relief from it.  I've tried everything... even seltzer and then jumping up and down.  LOL.  My husband always picks on me because he thinks I'm the only person on the earth who doesn't burp.  Glad I'm not alone!

However... I recently starting (embarassingly) burping very loudly.  I knew something was wrong when I started burping a lot - since I've never been able to.  Turns out I now have severe acid reflux AND a malfunctioning gall bladder that needs to be removed.

So I want you to see a doctor if all of a sudden at some point in your life you DO start burping. For me, it was my first warning sign!!!

by heath1985, Jan 14, 2009
I have had this same problem and recently found this site and posted about my problem.  I too cannot burp and frequently get those little gurgles.. sometimes they are kinda loud and come up without me knowing about it.  The only time that I do burp is when sometimes i get this coughing fit right before i feel nausea and when I vomit i let out a burp that is so loud i have heard nothing like it before.  i often notice it after eating and a lot of times when i go out at night and drink alcohol.  a lot of times ill get abdominal pain after eating.. do you get any of these other symptoms as well or no? i'm only 23 but have been dealing with it since i was 17.
by jmh987, Jan 15, 2009
Wow, I don't feel alone anymore either! I do know my father had the same problem, but only came into that information recently. Unsure why my mother never told me.
I also get those gurgling sounds, too. And they are spontaneous, which is embarrassing! I often feel sick to my stomach after eating, too.
People have tried to 'show me' how to burp, but it hasn't worked. I once even had my husband give me a modified Heimlich to no avail (and not a good idea, either).
This is terrible!
Jenn
by kiki1967, Jan 16, 2009
Oh my gosh!  I'm 41 years old and felt like I was the only person on earth with the gurgling problems.  It's so embarrassing - happens a lot at night when I'm lying in bed.  And my friends think I'm crazy because I can't burp - I can count on my hands how many times I've burped in my whole life.  I googled the Schatzki Syndrome but it didn't sound like our symptoms - I don't have difficulty swallowing or pain.  Just the constant gurgling and inability to burp.  If anyone ever finds out what it is, please let us know!  Thanks for posting - I feel normal now!
by sarah61087, Jan 23, 2009
wow I feel normal now! I have the same symptoms! The gergling and only burping when I'm sick! My boyfriend and him friends make fun of me so I googled it to prove to them that I wasn't crazy and showed all your responses! Thanks everyone for posting! They have stopped picking on me now hehe  
by miimoo, Mar 27, 2009
l have all the same symptoms mentioned above, however, l have over the years (35) managed to develop a method for releasing air from the stomach without burping. before l did this l was simply unable to eat certain things or drink carbonated drinks.

this is what l do: after eating (about 5 min when l can feel that 'bloated' sensation) l stick a finger into the back of the throat...it took me some time to manage to do this without throwing up so maybe its best to try to do this in the toilet to start with if you are going to try it. anyhow, l am now able to 'throw' up the air...without actually throwing up anything else.

the noise that comes out when l do it is simply UNREAL, but still it gets the job done and l am able to eat and enjoy whatever l like.

the way l see it is that l am like a baby, l need to mechanically burp myself by puncturing the back of my throat after every meal.
by ttbee, Apr 26, 2009
I also do what miimoo does. I find that if i push down the little flap at the back of my throat it allows me to burp up (extremely loadly) all of my wind. I have had the problem since I was a baby (I suffered from extremely bad collic), which is why I avoided fizzy drinks most of my life. My mum has the same problem so I didn't feel alone. Would get embarassed on nights out though when I'd go to the toilet to bring up my wind!
I used to get my boyfriend to do the Heimlich too, it just bought up gurgles (or internal burps as I call them) and made me feel worse.
I used to be so frustrated by it, I often had to leave night outs early or leave straight after the meal for friends birthdays. One day a friends told me I should gulp down soda water really quickly (something she does when she gets wind), this was a bad idea! I was so bad I couldn't breath and my lips went blue, as I last resort I decided to make myself sick (fingers down the throat job), but when I did it I burped. I felt so relieved.
Fron then on it's what I always do. I don't vomit with it, but do worry that it could be doing damage.
It has to be some kind of medical problem. I also cannot gulp a drink all in one go. You know how people can just open their throat a keep swallowing a drink. Can't open my throat at all.
Always wondered if being unable to open throat/unable to burp could be something to do with being born premature? Is anyone else with the condition premature? It's the only link between me, my mum and a friend who has the same problem. We were all very premature. (5 weeks +) Maybe something could finish developing properly? Just a theory
by lori229, May 02, 2009
i have the same symptoms as you all have mentioned...only burping before being physically sick, feeling bloated, uncontrollable gurgles.  my mom is also the same way...i've even told doctors that i can't burp and they tell me to "work on it"...like i can learn to do it.  not many people take it seriously, which drives me nuts.  the worst is that i can eat something huge like thanksgiving dinner, or something as small as an M&M and i'll be gurgling for half an hour later.  just glad to see i'm not alone, because my boyfriend always jokes about me not burping...hopefully we can figure out how to fix it soon :)