Gastroenterology Community
i am physically unable to burp.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Viewing 201-285 comments:
Exactly the same as everyone else. Burp every now and then accidentally, fart alot and gurgle. I have never tried to 'fight fire with fire' though. E.g gassing yourself out (soda, beer etc.) in the hope your body will burp and you then know how to do it. I too dont like vomiting and havent for years so cant stick my fingers down my throat.
My advice to everyone is to try everything they can to burp. Everything. Just experiment with different techniques. Spend 10 minutes a day or more doing different things such as leaning forwards and tilting your head in the hope one day it will work. If we can get that first burp out by ourselves then we now know what to do. In the coming days I will put more effort into trying to burp as normally i ignore it and fart instead. Personally, I think for me it is more mental than physical. When I was young I was afraid of vomiting so didn't want to burp and cant force myself to do it.
I understand we all have the same problem (and I'm glad I'm not alone) but how can we get ourselves to burp? or do we need to see a doctor. I can't really enjoy a meal or drink too much without getting those gurgles especial when I drink beer. I just feel bloated for a really long time. as I'm typing this I'm getting gurgles ...
My son is 24 and has this same problem. I wasn't even aware of it until several years ago. He too is ALWAYS gassy. He recently developed the strategy of a forced "throwing up" He doesn't actually throw up, it just sounds like he's going to. He says it is a must and brings relief, but man does it sound disgusting! I almost vomit when I hear him. I feel so bad for him. I finally talked him into seeing a gastro specialist about 6 months ago. What a waste of time and money that was! First he acted like he didn't believe my son. Second he acted like because he had never heard of this it couldn't be true. He told us it wasn't that big of a deal even if it were true. Burping wasn't that important since he was able to pass gas. He gave us a sample of antacids and sent us on our way. Told us if we insisted they could check him with a scope down the throat, but doubted that would do any good. My son felt so embarrassed after the appointment, he wouldn't go for the test. He now gets extremely angry with me if I even try to talk to him about it. The doctor made him feel so bad, he will not try to seek help for it from a doctor again. I hate to see him suffer and I hate for him to feel embarrassed about something that is  medical. Just because you have never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist- even if you're a doctor. Why would anyone "pretend" they couldn 't burp?
Everything you just said makes me feel so much better. I hate when people try to demonstrate how easy it is to burp; it's not that easy for everyone! I especially appreciated your point about the massive air release before vomiting--I have to "go through the process" of making myself get sick just to burp--the end product is what I like to call a "concentrated burp". I'm really glad I decided to research this tonight, thank you for your camaraderie!
I am 60 years old and have never been able to burp. I had terrible gerd, gurgling stomach/throat and other stomach problems until about 2 years ago when I started taking magnesium citrate ( other magnesiums don't work as well and I get it at the health food store. I started with 200 mg in morning, then another 200mg before bed. After a few weeks, I cut down to 200mg a day and now I only take one about every 3 days. You will notice a huge difference in the first  48 hours.
This is unbelievable! Unbelievable that so many people are here and suffering. Just like my sister! And doctors are like "ahahha, what?" They don't even know about this. They think this is a joke. I did read almost all of the comments here, and I'm gonna tell my sister happily that she's not the only one. And I'm going to tell her the tips you all wrote here. People in my country don't write about this problem. I can't really read about this thing in my own language. From now, I'm going to read this site! And I honestly hope that once there will be a solution for this!

And THANK YOU, thanks for everybody here!
Have a nice day, you all are great! :)
Its 2013, yes i know and i do have this problem aswell. I am 15 and i've only burped maybe 2 times in my whole life. I didn't even relize it until someone pointed it out. I do get bloated, ALOT and i have been to the gasorologist but that didn't help much. Also, i don't think i've ever puked in my whole life. maybe i did as a baby, but i don't remember ever vomiting, and i don't want to cause i have a phobia of it. I hope this problem isn't as bad as i think it is. I have lactose-intolerance aswell. I've had stomach problems all my life and its quite scary.
Holy cow! I thought I was the only one. I gurgle constantly and it's such an awful feeling! I've done this for as long as I can remember and I'm now 36 years old. I'm pregnant right now and it's SOOO much worse when I'm pregnant.
After reading posts on here, I have started making myself "throw up the air" by sticking my finger to the back of my mouth. It seems to help.
I've tried everything even the chiropractor. He does some adjustment under my breast bone that helps.
I agree though, we have to start telling doctors and getting people to help us!
I'm 18 and like you I never had the problem with drinking but recently now tht I've been able to drink more regularly due to the fact that I'm of the legal age I really struggle to drink a lot of anything carbonated like ciders or drinks mixed with fizzy drinks it makes me gag and it really ***** because it always makes nights out kinda boring when all of my friends are getting drunk :(
This is amazing! Wish I'd found this forum thread earlier on! I was wondeing if anyone who posted on here in the past has made any developments on what this issue actually is yet? I'm 18 years old and I've got the same problem, I'm pretty sure it started when I was around 8 years old although I never really burped before then but it never really effected me until when I was 8. At first I used to feel like i was going to be sick a lot and it would cause anxiety, especially when I was doing exams. The whole feeling like I was going to be sick was originally thought to be a typical anxiety issue and it sort of went away after a while but when that started to go I started getting the whole gurgle thing. I always just assumed it was some sort of indigestion and it might be a build up of trapped wind. I just assumed one day I'd do a humungous burp and then everything would be fine haha (as you can probably tell I was a bit of a weird kid haha). As a result, I never thought much of it and just thought I was a little different, then it started getting worse, I started feeling sick again, I would get incredibly bloated and always feel awful whenever I ate or drank pretty much anything. My family are people who don't like to assume the worst so we all just guessed I must have indigestion problems and trapped wind a lot so we carried on ignoring it. Then the other weekend i went out for a meal with my dad when he was visiting me at uni, I only had a few pints of beer and cider and I wasn't tipsy at all or anything but I started feeling queezy and gassy like I always do and my dad had never really noticed it before and he must've told my mum because being a typical mum she got worried, looked it up and found this forum!!
Oh my goodness, thanks everyone so much! I have never been able to burp, have "air bubbles" going up and down my oesophagus constantly, feel like there's a lump in my throat etc etc.

Well, I've just tried the suggested technique of sticking my fingers down my throat and I've just done the most humungous burp! I can't believe it! I startled my child with it and he was amazed as he's never heard me burp before!
I could not burp at all until I was 19. I used to have a gargling sound in my throat like a radio being tuned in which made my friends laugh. If I drunk a lot of lager, I would be bloated and twice I ended up thinking I was going to be sick but heaved out a huge belch which I can never get anywhere near now! I met another guy who couldn't burp as well but he didn't seem to have any problems.
Things changed for the better when I was in between 1st and 2nd years in my undergraduate degree. I just happened to be at my parents front window and felt air in my oesaphagus trying to escape as normal but for some reason I just allowed it to escape and it came out as a burp. I was so proud and happy when it happened and the next time I just remembered how I did it the first time and have been able to burp ever since. However, I also have an overactive oesaphagus flap so I often feel as though wind is in my pipe but it can be just the flap opening which allows acid to enter the oesaphagus and I take omeprazole to deal with bad indegestion. I also get globus and tight throat when stressed and a "false" wind or trapped wind sensation and this makes me wretch. I have had to stop eating breakfast early in the morning as this can bring it on. When I am stressed, it is difficult to tell the difference between what is wind and what is false wind sensation so try a burp but nothing there and sometimes end up wretching instead.
I don't understand why I couldn't burp but my body was used to it. As soon as I started burping, now I am used to that too and so would struggle to go back to not being able to. If I could sell the magic trick or even offer the solution to others in the same boat, I would, but I just mastered it by complete fluke, by somehow allowing the wind to escape rather than blocking its escape which I had been doing for 19 years or more without trying to.
Hello! I don't have a burp reflex either, and as a result my body stores more gas than I've come to believe it should. I've found it helps to lay on one's back and gently massage the excess gas out of your abdomen, to help guide it out.
I stumbled across this page and could not possibly be more relieved!! I've had this problem since I was very young and it's SO embarrassing! No matter what I do I just can't burp, though I intend to try the inducing method mentioned above. I call them 'the gurgleys' and while my boyfriend is use to it, it's still extremely uncomfortable and embarrassing!
I'm 20 and as long as I can remember I haven't been able to burp. I get those weird gurgles that everyone is talking about all the time, and I've actually sort of been able to learn to control my gurgles and make them happen at times, and sometimes they make me feel a little bit better. I don't fart more than normal (i think). the main problem is drinking carbonated drinks or having big meals. Beer is a problem, and shotgunning a bear makes me feel terrible, and usually throw up or have a big giant burp throw up thing.

My dad says look on the bright side, it restricts what you eat so you won't eat excess as much and you'll be healthier for it.

Anyone know any tricks or treatment to help?
I am 44. Same as everyone all my life.  Friends tried every trick in the book to get me to burp, but just the air bubbles, which can be very forceful at times, and do bring some relief.  It's just not a burp, though.  I am seeing a gastroenterologist in the next couple weeks for something else, curious to see if they think it's related.  Also suffer from horrible gas pains going up to my shoulder if I've been lying on my LEFT SIDE for awhile (like down on the floor playing with the kids).  I will stand and feel the pain, immediately having to lie flat on my back to relieve it.  Wondering if the 2 plus a current issue are all related.
i have the exact same problem as you!! i always need to burp but nothing happens i dont get it! it drives me mental all the saliva just makes it ten times worse!
im 18 and i used to have this problem as a kid it went on and off for a few years then just went away but now its back and i feels twice as worse :( the amount of saliva im producing is horrible i have to spit it out the same as scubagirl0606! i get to point where im trying to burp so hard i gag theres got to be someway to stop it as i cant sleep i am going to search the s**t out of the internet for a although i find drinking warm tea fast helps abit and gets a few small burps up but we cant be drinking tea 24/7  
ok i can kind of explain why you get so much saliva. ere goes.
my doc told me when we are anx and we get the lump/tight throat feeling our throats auto think there is a blockage and will over produce saliva to get rid of the imangenary obstruction.
are you with me so far?
the more we swallow the longer the muscles in our throat stay tight and the longer the saliva stays .
when you get to much saliva dont swallow it, spit it out and you wont need to keep swallowing, there fore giveing your muscles a chance to relax more.
make sure you are not holding your tounge at the roof of ur mouth either as this wont help it will make the throat tighter.
I'm finally glad to know I'm not alone! : )... I'm.15 in the 10th grade and I get the gurgling sensations tht seem to start from the stomach or chest area and into the throat. I cant burp either....no matter how hard I try. mind you that these gurgles  are extremely loud and embarrassing...especially in class when its quiet or even around my boyfriend. I've learned that sometimes if I hold my breath it kinda quiets down the gurgles...I hope to find out what this is one day and that its nothing major. .. happy thanksgiving everybody! : D
Hi Anna,
Has the magnesium citrate completely stopped your gurgling? I'm willing to try anything to do that!
I'm 24, have never been able to burp, and am constantly bloated and gurgling.
Lauren
I have tried this "throwing up air" method many times and it doesn't work for me :\ bit gross but does anyone know if  there is a particular technique to it cus I gag but nothing comes out at all?
Also some people are mentioning not throwing up very often, is this because you feel like you physically can't or you just feel nauseous but not properly sick? I can't remember the last time I was sick until a few months ago when I drank too much... haha! However it was very difficult for anything to actually come up, I had to heave a lot, not sure if this could be related to not being able to burp.

Update from a few months ago: hiccups have increased majorly, i can hiccup up to 50 times a day sometimes. It's painful sometimes but they kinda relieve the pressure?
I am 34 yrs old and since I can remember, I've never burped. Whenever I used to drink soda(which I don't anymore) I would get loud almost animalistic growls in my chest. Whenever I got hiccups, felt like I was having a heart attack. My only relief would come from immediately lying flat on my back. As a child, whenever I went swimming, I'd get sick from ingesting water and have the same "heart attack" pains. A year ago I had an EGD, upper/lower GI series with barium, ultrasound of upper and lower abdomen, and finally a CT scan of all abdominal areas...TO NO AVAIL! one thing is I was born with a hernia that pushes through the upper part near my diaphragm( I've been on NEXIUM(for the no matter if its water heartburn) I get throughout the better half of my life and before nexium, ranitidine. More recently my Dr prescribed Levsin. It controls abdominal spasms or alleviates them. I take 2 sublingual(under tongue) a day and although it might not cure and I still don't have a diagnosis... IT'S BEEN WORKING! might be my mind but I'm no longer racing to my car to recline the seat for relief!
I have the same issue. I have celiac disease, because if that fact I suspecting I have an esophogyhial web.  I have created a method to burp... Like many of you have said we burp before we barf, so I just attempt to vomit even if I don't have to, so that way I'll burp, then I stop myself before I puke.
Levsin is a very good drug.  I take it PRN, I always keep some in the house and always keep a valid prescription.
Seems like everyone here is looking for some kind of solution but no-one has any - It would be a much more effective thread if we talked about what measures we've each discovered to relieve it other than the 'induce vomiting' route which is a little extreme.

I've had this since I can remember - the closest I've come to a solution is to lie on your LEFT side and 'croak' it out. Lying on your left side seems to align the contents of you stomach so that the gas is closest to your lower oesophageal sphincter (the muscle which I think doesn't seem to work properly for us all). It's not instant relief like a burp would be but the croaks can make things more comfortable - often I feel all the tightness across my stomach disappear instantly, but only when I'm on my left side. Then you just lie there for a bit. Don't lie on your right side, it can cause acid reflux when you croak and will get you nowhere.

I also somehow learnt to do these weird inward burps, which actually seem to suck in air, temporarily putting more pressure in your oesophagus which promotes a more effective croak straight after. Inhaling deeply and holding it also causes the same pressure.

God knows whats going on down there with the croaky sounds!

Hope this all helps, this is the best I've come up with so far!

Josh

Wow... reading all these comments and I don't feel like an alien! I call my gurgles "the froggy noises". I feel like it's a lump in my throat that I'm trying to "burp" up and no matter how many froggy noises come up or how loud they are or. how long it goes on for, it doesn't go away. I've tried every gas relief pill on the market and NOTHING helps. My brothers have all tried to "teach" me how to burp. My mother has tried as well. She said I had trouble burping when I was a baby. It seems to happen any time I breath deeply. It's super embarrassing because it happens in the middle of kissing.. but my current boyfriend thinks it's cute.. no one believes I can't burp until they meet my mom and she has to tell them. We need to find a diagnosis! I don't feel pain so I don't think it's dangerous, but it would be nice to know what this is caused by!
I feel like the only one here that can kind of burp, but I do have other symptoms like chest and stomach pain, a lot of trapped gas, and "gurgling". I burp sometimes, and when I do it's one of those cartoon-style exaggerated burps, but usually I have to force them out. I sort of have to clench my chest, like clenching a muscle, and out comes this odd croaking burp that doesn't fully do the job but it relieves my stomach pain. When I can, I drink ginger ale just to spark some big enough burps to let it out, but I can't be constantly sipping soda at work and school. My father has similar problems, though he has more GERD like symptoms such as actual heart burn and no throat gurgling, whereas it's very rare for me to get heart burn. It does seem to be somewhat genetic from what I've seen. I'd like to go to a gastroenterologist because my physician brushes it off, but the other comments make me afraid that they won't know either.
I'm 25 and I have always had this problem. The induced vomit method is the way I seem to be able to release gas, Normally its not too much of an issue But I do have to avoid eating too much at work, due to being stuck in a pressurised tube just makes the gas build up alot worse and your colleagues look at you a bit strange and worry if they hear you making vomiting sounds. Like the one post said I dont have issues with releasing gas the other way, in fact my Mrs says Im far too open with that method! I really would be interested in a solution, one comment mentioned laying on your side helps and I've gotta say I kinda agree, I often get stomach aches because im struggling to process the gas and laying on my side actually helps and seems to make the gas move out, although via the rear end! Does anyone have issues when drinking beer or carbonated beverages? I have found increasingly over the last few years that I need to avoid beer or carbonated beverages as the gas just seems to build far too quick in my stomach that i just cant process it fast enough! Im glad I found this thread all my friends and family look at me like a weirdo when I tell them i cant burp, even if there isn't a solution its nice to know I'm not the only one!
So i have the same issue as everyone else here.. its kinda a relief to know that the reason why im forced to fart on my girlfriend all day long is because of this issue.  I am so happy that now i can yell at her when she gets mad at me because i have this "uncurable disease".  I am able to burp maybe once a year or so and i get really excited when i do it.  Ive always had the burping issue but it hasnt really started causing me issues til the last 4 years or so.  Im 27.. 3 days from now ill be the 28.  Anywho.. it seems that i cant drink that much beer anymore before i get way too full of gas.  I used to be able to drink a dozen beers no problem.  Now after 2 beers sometimes i cant drink anymore  :(  So i really need to fix this issue so i can keep drinking alot.  And to the people who think we are dumb for not being able to burp and think you can just instantly teach us.. go teach a crippled person how to walk while your at it.
Kinda relieved I'm not the only one like everyone else!
I'm 17 ATM and have had this problem forever! Like everybody else i feel super bloated after drinking fizzy drinks! :(
I am a fairly sporty person however exercise also seems to trigger bloating, especially running, even eating before hand makes it worse! :(
I have read through many of the comments and throwing up really doesn't seem like my thing!

NOW! I am bored of this crap! Recently I have been to the doctor multiple times. One didn't believe me but I'm getting somewhere now! They referred me to the stomach specialist, who is just like da fuuu! :P

However soon I'm going to have a camera in my stomach to find out what it is causing this issue! I know, it doesn't sound nice but I can't stick this any longer! Wish me luck!

I shall keep you guys and girls informed on the outcome and lets hope we find a fix to this damn problem! :D

Jake!
Hi i'm 16 and I can't burp either. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. It gives me a lot of heartburn and I have more trouble going to sleep at night. Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm sorry for the poor folks who went to the doctor and got the run-around, and to be treated so badly. My Docs answer was, yea it happens in a certain percentage of population and there's nothing they can do about it. Most of the time your body releases the gas over time, we just don't have any control over it. I'm used to it by now and only occasionally I have to lay on my stomach or side and "jiggle".  
I'm a famous farter and thankfully my colleges at work and girl friend are understanding. I always tell everyone when I can't burp, "but hey, I can fart jingle bells".

To the guy who's girlfriend says you're disgusting, time to get a new girl because everybody farts.
I didnt realize there were so many people that had the same problems! Ive struggled with this for years and my boyfriend mocks me so much because im constantly gurgling. I have found that if I force a cough then its better for a little while but its soo short term it only lasts around 20 mins before i get it again.
I am a 22 year old female. I cannot/have not ever been able to burp. I have what is called a TMJ disorder, in my jaw. Something like a disc is slipping out of the hinge in my jaw when i open or close my mouth. It *****, but anyways...I also have had this issue for most of my life (at least as far back as I can remember.) My dentist and also some websites I have been to recently have mentioned this burping disorder to be a sympom of TMJ. I get the burping problem when I eat airy foods, (popcorn, chips, bread, ect...) and I have completely cut out soda of any kind as well as beer. But I do drink soda as a mixer with alcohol. When I drink to get drunk, I occasionally get my burping problem.
1) The gurgles start
2) It feels like my chest is being filled up with air
3) My nose starts to run?
4) I get a severe case of the hiccups
5) DRYHEAVING! Spit runs into my mouth (my body is telling me to puke, to release that air)
6) I go to the restroom and push my fingers to the back of my throat until I get a large (weird sounding) burb
7) I feel relief

That is the only thing that i have found to help in any way. I have tried taking tums and other antacids. People think I'm crazy, but this is a serious problem. I don't know for sure if the TMJ thing is related, but it would be nice to know if some of you guys had the same TMJ issue and also not being able to burp.
I am 18 and I have had this problem since I was about 12. Pretty much any food that I eat causes it to happen. A lot of times it gets so bad that it causes me to get a headache and get fatigued so that all I feel I can do is lay down all day.  I haven't tried to gag myself like some people have talked about, but there are only two ways I can get relief.  If I eat it feels better, but as soon as I stop eating it gets much worse. It also gets better if I lay down on my back or side.  My gurgles are loud and embarrassing. My older siblings have taught me everything they know about burping, but I still can't.  
I used to swim and play water polo. Even if I wasn't gurgling, it was really hard to breathe because it felt like something in my stomach was pushing up on my lungs. Does this happen to anyone else.
I found information that said heartburn, difficulty swallowing, and fatigue are symptoms of a large hiatal hernia which is a hernia at the base of the esophagus.
I am so glad I found this thread. Please let me know if anyone else has difficulty breathing or swallowing or gets headaches and fatigue! Good luck to everyone seeking help!
I didn't think anyone else had difficulty with breathing too! I've always been a fairly naturally fit person but recently I feel like I can't get enough air in my lungs when i exercise and there's this pressure there...it's hard to describe. On a few occasions after a meal, I've felt almost asthmatic cus it's painful and I have to take deep breaths, but I know it's not asthma!
Hi there, sorry I know this is an old post. But I also suffer really badly and even more now I'm pregnant. Can I ask if it got better once the baby came?
Don't think I can deal with this much longer, any solution? Thank you :)
I've only been able to burp like twice in my life, accidentally..I am 23 years old..i am constantly nauseous because of it..i noticed stretching, excercises such as sit ups or leg raises, and clockwise belly massages help a bit..laying on the left side also helps me move the gas a bit..
I found this thread because I wanted to learn how to burp. When I get very very gassy the only thing that helps is burping, but I can't belch or even burp on command. I've had three different people try to teach me, and all I end up doing is coughing and snorting.

What has helped for me, and I hope this information helps someone else, is drinking something carbonated and then walking around for a little bit. The first burp is very difficult and feels like food is coming up, but it never does. Then it gets so much easier. I sit with my back straight and use my abdominal muscles to push up on the mouth of my stomach (it feels like I'm squeezing in just under my breastbone). I've found seltzer water with just enough fruit juice to make it palatable is the best combination for me.

Good luck.
I can't believe I'm the only one!
I have only burped couple times in my life and they were tiny. I do get the gurgles and air bubbles in my chest or throat. I am really not a fan of vomiting or gagging so the fingers down throat trick is not my cup of tea.
I find that lying on your side-or back- and massaging your chest/ribs or abdomen helps.
Does any one have tips that don't include gagging and vomiting?  
I can't believe I'm the only one!
I'm 15 I have the same problem I can't burp when I feel like I need to it just comes to my throat and makes a really weird noise it's not a burp it's messed up and it courses me to get stomach aches all the time and get bloated 24/7 I'm tired of living like this I can't live my life properly and I need help on learning how to burp thank you
I'm 15 and i can't burp I get stomach aches all the time and bloating I need to know what's wrong and learn how to burp some hopefully I can't live normally cuz at the moment I can't do anything I can't live properly cuz I'm in pain 24/7 so please help thank you
Hi everyone,

the symptoms described are the same as mine and I have Acidic Reflux. This problem is caused due to acid rising from the stomach and leaking into the oesophagus through a faulty valve - this valve should be closed. From my research into it, there are different ways this can be treated, in extreme cases, surgery.  

I have completely ruled out fizzy drinks as this is the worst thing ever. I used to find myself running to the bathroom thinking I was going to be sick, but would do an involuntary burp instead with lots of saliva. For me also, the only way to gain relief is to carry out actions which make it look like I am making myself be sick - but I am not!! I am forcing my body to burp but stop before anything else happens and this feels like the best relief and the only relief. I am on omeprazole but I find this doesn't actually help with this problem. Doctors need to start taking this more seriously. Ask your Doctor to do Full Bloods not just a blood test. After ten plus years of seeing my Dr, they finally did full bloods and found out I have gallstones (I am only 24 and slim and people are usually 40 and obese who get this - which is probably why the dr never checked - bad excuse though!). Some smptoms of gallstones include pain after eating, excess gas and feeling sick. So maybe it's worth being checked out for this also.
I CAN BURP NOW! I hope this information can at least provide some kind of insight to this problem.

For 26 years of my life I was unable to burp, leaving me looking silly when pressure built up in my chest. I'd **** my head to the side, puff my chest and hold my breath until it passed. My sister also suffers from the same condition. I have never been to a doctor to have it checked out and I don't believe she has either. We just learned to live with it and that was the end of it.

At the age of 26 I was treated for Bipolar disorder. I started taking a medication for it and I couldn't tell you what it was. But after a few days of taking it I noticed after drinking a beer I belched. I was completely blown away I finally experienced a genuine burp! It started happening more and more often. The problem was I honestly didn't know when it was about to happen and it would just come out. I'd be in the middle of talking and it would just make its way out while saying a word. It even happened during a job interview. Over time I could tell it was going to happen and now I have more control of it. I have to admit, at first I would celebrate it anywhere and didn't care about what people thought. I guess that's part of growing up. I'm 34 now and I have to say it changed my life for the better.

I'm sorry you guys suffer from this problem.. People without this condition will never understand it. I hope my story at least provides a little hope in that I, by accident, was able to reverse mine permanently by experimenting with anti-psychotic medications. That may sound weird, but so is not being able to burp.
Only way I can burp is the induced vomiting that you all are talking about...I had an EGD done the other day so we will see! Nice to know I am not alone!
I am so glad to find out I'm not alone. I'm a very gassy person, but have never been able to burp. After drinking anything (including water) without food, or if I drink a lot of a beverage, I get what I call the "gurgle burps". It seems like air gurgling up from my stomach, but I can't really burp. It's pretty embarrassing, it continues until I feel nauseous, then I'm able to go into the bathroom and basically force myself to vomit air. It sounds like I'm throwing up, but all that comes out is air, which does sound like a loud belch. I've had this problem for 20 years. I finally saw a GI doctor, who put me on Prilosec, which isn't helping. My next option is to go in for the scope exam. Has anybody found anything that helps get rid of the trapped air?  Over the counter gas medicine doesn't work either
Gas meds don't help me with the gurgles either
It's really unbelievable how many people suffer from the inability to belch, and the how many people who don't believe us. Like one person said, who would fake not being able to belch??  I am 35 and have maybe burped accidentally 4 times in my life. I really can't pinpoint what makes me bloated, gassy, gurgle sounds coming up from my esophagas and out my mouth, or the feeling like I'm going to float away because I have so much air inside me. It happens often, especially at work. I have to make a trip to the third floor bathroom (least traveled) and make myself burp by sticking my finger down my throat. I don't throw up, but I guess I do burp in a sense, and get some relief. I mentioned this to a pcp several years ago, who basically blew me off, which seems to be quite common.  I never brought it up again to any doctor. The reason I was researching this tonight is because my gyne referred me to a gastroenterologist for some unrelated issues.  I had a consult yesterday, and he asked me if I had heartburn or indigestion often, sometimes, or never. I told him often and he asked me to explain it, so I basically told him what I wrote as my above symptoms. I did not mention that for release, I stick my finger down my throat, and didn't say that I never burp. While I don't think the symptoms I explained to him was the only reason he scheduled me for an upper endoscopy, I do think it is partly why. I was actually referred due to constipation and dramatic weight loss (20 lbs in 3 months which was not intentional) and was expecting just a colonoscopy. But, he wants both and I am scheduled for Wed. March 26. Colon prep is the 25th where I have to drink a gallon of this Gavalyte G solution and no solid food until after the procedures.  It's going to be hell drinking this stuff because it says it will likely make you bloated, full, and obviously gassy. I'm not looking forward to it, but maybe I'll get some answers. I may even bring up the fact I don't burp and what my only relief method is the day I go in.  It's definitely embarrasing having that gurgling sound come out of nowhere. I am so glad to have found others that deal with this as well.
I have the same no-burping/gurgle symptoms as everyone above.  FYI, I was diagnosed with a TMJ disorder 10 years ago.

Wanted to share that I found that it got better when I stopped drinking coffee every single morning.
It's so crazy I stumbled across this website, all of these people are JUST LIKE ME! I'm 27 and I've been bloated/gassy/uncomfortable/unable to burp (which just makes me sad), and I've always had a theory that my being bloated was related to my not burping. What caught my eye in your post was the gas pains going up to your shoulder because I get that sometimes too, and even in my lower back. None of the others had mentioned that. Did you get any good advice from doctors? Also, did you hiccup a lot when you were a child?
Hey all! I had the exact same problem as you until like four years ago. I burped like every few months by accident and was super gassy. Then I stopped eating gluten food, and it helped me sooo much! Now I burp all the time and its awesome! Give it a try
Hey all you fellow none burpers,
I stumbled across this site a couple years ago and like all of you was very excited to see it was not just me who had this problem. I'm 32 and have only burped about 7 times in my life (all on accident). Through an insane amount of research I have found out that this is an issue with our Schatzki Ring. It is a small ring in your lower oesophagus that constricts us from being able to get the air through our throats. I did find one site online that spoke of a procedure that can be done where basically they stick a balloon down and inflate it to open up the hole, however it is only temporary...but I think I speak for all of us when I say that we'd rather get a temporary fix and be able to enjoy different foods/drinks, and, not have that embarrassing gurgle, then to not get it done because it is only temporary. So look into the Schatzki Ring and bring some of the articles to your doctor and see what they might suggest. Hopefully someday this is will be a known issue that people don't have to feel alone about until they happen across this site!

Hope this helps some of you, it certainly helped me :-)
What did they find out?
I can't believe that I'm 37 and just now decided to look it up because people always make me feel crazy like i'm not doing the burp thing right. How hard could it be to suck down some air and burp like everyone else right?! Well now I feel better knowing that there are more people like me and i'm not crazy! You are the only one I saw who had the chest pain like me.  I have to pat my chest or jump up and down for it to come up. And it always feels like a heart attack.  Thank you so much for posting your story i'm going to print the article and take it with me to my next doctor's appointment. Hopefully she won't think i'm crazy too!
I have also had the same issues you all are mentioning. I am 20 years old and have never been able to burp naturally my entire life. I have vomited only 3 separate times that I can remember in my life. And usually a burp accompanies the vomiting. I get those awful gurgle things where you can feel the burp leave your stomach, start coming up, but then when it gets to your neck it stops and goes back down. I have never been able to chug soft drinks or anything like that either.

However, a few weeks ago on a 2 hour drive home from college, I randomly figured out how to burp! I had no hope of figuring this out even though I heard other people had taught themselves. I never tried the fingers down the throat method because that's just scary and I hate vomiting. But I still figured it out and now I can burp semi-regularly! I think the main thing that would help you all figure it out is knowing what to do with your body. I will try to explain as best as I can how to burp, or at least how I do it:

- relax. This is really the key. The main issue I used to have is that when I feel the gas come up my esophagus I would tense up because it feels like vomiting air, which to me is unpleasant. When you tense up out of nervousness it causes that sphincter at the top of the esophagus to tighten (I'm assuming from the little research I did) and doesn't allow the burp out. I had to learn how to trust that I wasn't going to throw up, and that is what allows me to relax enough to let the gas out.

- pull the back of your tongue down your throat. Ever tried looking in the mirror and moving your adams apple? It's that sort of deep muscle movement in your throat that might help open up space for the burp to escape.

- when you feel the burp leave your stomach and start coming up try to flex only your lower abdomen to prevent the burp from going back down. it doesn't always work but sometimes when I do it, it forces the burp out.

-Sometimes I take a deep breath after the burp leaves the stomach. This seems to give space for the burp to move upwards and then be forced out.

PRACTICE. I realize that it's hard to practice something you don't know how to do, but that's why you just experiment and keep on trying. I can burp enough to relieve the pressure and make me feel less bloated, but I still am working on how to do it consistently and not be making weird faces in public when I need to burp. Don't give up! I had, and then I was extremely surprised when I figured it out. You can do it!

Wow, it’s been so great to stumble across this thread. I’m a 26 year old female, and have never been able to burp - however it never bothered me, as I only started noticing really bad problems with gas around the age of 18, which is also when I began drinking and smoking heavily, and developed an eating disorder. Since my bad habits must’ve been producing more gas and indigestion, I began to get severe discomfort (bloating, flatulence) and a lot more of those gurgles, which are so embarrassing! Like many others on here, if I’m feeling really bloated, the only way to get relief is to trigger my gag reflex and let out a huge belch. But I can never bring msyelf to do that in a public restroom cus it’s so damn loud!

About a year ago I stopped drinking, smoking and drugs, and also stopped restricting my food intake (basically recovered from my eating disorder). At first my symptoms were even worse, because my digestive system had to get used to functioning without all those substances. I also cut out dairy and gluten, and avoid fizzy drinks and too much caffeine. Now, my symptoms are quite a lot better, but definitely still present.

Ocassionally I get such bad trapped gas, that I get painful hiccups which don’t go away until I stick my finger down my throat. People think the hiccups are funny too, but God they are agonising! I am also a singer, and when I do vocal exercises that involve me pushing my diaphragm, I push up gurgles a lot. This makes me scared to contract my diaphragm (which unfortunately is a necessary part of singing).

After reading about people having gone to the doctor and had tests to no avail, I don’t think I’m going to bother. The last time I went to the doctor to complain about gas, she prescribed me an IBS medication even though she “didn’t think I had IBS”. I was also tested for H. Pylori bacteria (which causes gas in the stomach), but this came back negative.

I am DETERMINED to overcome this once and for all! It is my main goal, now that I’ve read stories of people learning how to burp. It might be that everyone is different and might not be able to use the same techniques, but I believe with enough experimenting, we can all get there. Many of us are probably so used to it, that we never train our tummies and throats to try anything different.

After reading everyone’s stories, I think our best bets are to:

1. Reduce gas in general by avoiding fizzy drinks, smoking, stimulants/anxiety, alcohol, dairy and other foodstuffs you might be sensitive to

2. Keep trying to burp, knowing that other people have trained themselves so it’s possible! And if we can all burp by triggering our gag reflex, then we DO have the ability to open our throats enough...

I’ll post back here when I make progress.
It's great to know that there are others like me! I can't burp and i am always with those terrible gurgles. Doctors haven't be able to help me in the last few years but i reaaly need help, my life like this is just terrible, i can't go out with my friends without needing to force that "throw up"
Wow what a relief there is more people out there like me! I'm 21 currently pregnant suffering from not being able to burp its difficult because when I do try to burp I end up throwing up after the forced burp! Can anyone help with advice?
Hey, I guess I'll add myself to this list. I'm 26, I've had it my whole life, I've accidentally burped a handful of times in my whole life, and most people don't know that about me. I've stopped drinking soda because of it, which gets some weird looks, but I don't wanna explain my situation to every single person I meet. I'm shocked there's so many of us. If anyone makes any headway, make sure to post, because it does kinda suck and the "vomit method" doesn't work for all of us.
I don't know what possessed me to do a search on this subject but I'm glad I did. I'm 51 and have had this problem all my life. The only people I've ever told about it don't believe me and think I'm crazy. I see a lot of you are using the finger down the throat method. That would never work for me because I would actually throw up. It does make me feel better to know I'm not the only one that has this problem.
I am 64yo, I only started having this problem 6 day`s ago. ( Cant Burp ) I`ve never had anything like it before.                                                             I went to my Doc`s on monday, said to him l can`t burp, his reply, then don`t. ( idiot )                                                                                                   Anyway l`m panicking so l`m trying anything.                                                 Ok. Try this, Sit on a dining table chair or the chair at your computor, wait untill you feel a burp coming, just let it come (relax ) then at the split second the wind is about to come out, begin to stand up & try to burp at the same time. If it don`t work do it again and again.                                     It`s working for me about 30% of the time.                                                     Let me know how you go on                                                                           I am trying other things & will keep you informed                                           Best of luck.
See tangood4. Hope it helps
UPDATE:
I went and had a EGD done at a GI doctor, the purpose was to dialate the ring in my esophagis, and although the procedure itself did not work as far as helping me burp, they did find out I have something called Barrett's Esophagis, which is due to acid reflux altering the lining tissue of my esophagis and changing it to the same type of tissue as found in one's intestinal tract. I tell you all this because it also puts you at a high risk of developing esophagial cancer.

So go and get an upper GI Endoscopy to cure the burping issue (if it is an esophogial ring causing the problem), and if nothing else you might end up saving your life. Men are twice as likely as women to get it, and Caucasian men have a higher chance then men of any other race. Basically 0.6-6.0 percent of people get this and having acid Reflux or GERD is a major factor, and since we all have acid reflux due to not being able to burp, the odds are not in your favor.
I have found that Trimethoprim antibiotic tablets can cause one to be unable to burp.
I've had this all my life too, and it's become such a hassle since I've become of age to drink (I'm now 20). Sometimes I come back to this page to see how we are all progressing. Only my closest friends know about my gurgling as I hate telling people because I know they don't understand. My Mum said I had very bad acid reflex as a baby and because of it I would never sleep through the night. After feeding me she said would always bounce and carry me around for hours to help me burp because she knew I was in pain and would always be crying because of it. I think what finally fixed it was taking me to a children's cranial specialist who helped realign my skull and spine. As a kid I could never eat fast or have large mouthfuls because it would cause pain in my lower oesophagus- this is still the case now, and I've found I get gurgley, but only very slightly, after a lot of milk and spicy food. But now as iIve started drinking this gurgley thing has come, and I know it's related some how. BEER and sometimes cider are absolute killers, but I still drink them anyway because spirits are so expensive. I don't get the gurgles as bad with soft drink, but when I go out it's a real hit and miss. Sometimes I'll have heaps of beer and be totally fine, but other times I'll have not even finished one and I can feel the discomfort coming- sometimes my mouth will fill with huge amounts of saliva as if I'm about to vomit. And sometimes I'll get hiccups and this is excruciatingly painful. Overall, it feels that the air is trapped inside my stomach, and because I'm unable to burp, it just builds up. I'm able to push out little bubbles of air to some relief, but the weirdest part about it all is that I can feel my stomach sucking the air back inside. Usually by this point my night is ruined and I either go home or head to the toilets and hope no one is there or there's very loud music, then I do the fingers down the throat- and it feels amazing. I look forward to it because I know I can go back out and continue a night that could've been a waste. I'm happy to continue doing this but the noise is so so so so so loud. It's the loudest belch ever, I'd beat everyone I know in a burping match easily. But while I'm doing this I can feel stomach acid in my oesophagus and according to my dentist it's eroding the enamel on my teeth.
Hopefully there will be a solution for us all one day!
I too stick my finger down my throat.  After you learn how to do it a few times, it's not as invasive as any other method.  Its fast, quick and gets the gas out without drugs or procedures.  We just have a dysfunctional sphincter...that's all.  Can't fix everything with pills and surgery.  When you practice doing it, just think about opening a can of soda...you let the pressure out...but don't pour the whole soda down the drain.  Easy
I am so disgusted with these gastroenterologists!  I first found this site last August and have continued reading posts on it all year long.  I'm 59 yrs old and have never been able to burp.  I realized I could stick my finger down my throat to cause a loud gagging sound which causes immediate relief and I do it EVERY day because I have to.  I've just resigned myself to the fact that I have to do it this way because doctors will never believe us which I find disgusting!  Why would we pretend such a thing???
Is there any chance you found that drug name out? Regardless, your comment at least gave me hope :)
So good to learn that other people re having similar challenges and finding relief. The one I think would work best for is the "magnesium citrat" solution as my case is a little different.

I'm 59 and there are only "periods" when I cant burp. Its not a constant "all my life" thing. There are times I just get real bloated and I know a good belch would help but I'm unable to get that to happen.

One solution I found: I learned about the pop "Izzie" a few years back and almost every time  I'd drink it  burping would start and I'd find relief. So I started keeping a bottle of it in the fridge and started using it as medicine instead of just a good drink. 90% of the times it worked

Im researching this tonight because its about 4:30am and I woke up bloated unable to get any relief and no Izzie in the fridge. It feels like you are about to bust wide open, you cant breath  and saliva going into my stomach only makes it worst. While reading these post I;d started to bloat more so I started blowing my nose in an effort to try to get some relief that way and it helped a little.

Then I did one other thing and the relief I needed began to come. I jogged in place for about 2 minutes and as I started jogging  I "broke wind" a couple of times and the gas that had me bloated  began to go down, and some gurgling came. I jogged again  then the burping came and my stomach started breathing again. I;d say in about an hour I was totally gas free

Those are the things that worked for me. I'm a little uncomfortable with the "finger in you throat" thing and vomiting wouldnt work for me as I  have a hiettle hernia and vomiting would just tear my throat muscles apart. It was great though to hear all of the different solutions

Karl

Can't believe so many people suffer like I do. Like most of you friends and family think I'm nuts saying I can't burp. I'm 47 and have never burped intentionally for as long a s I can remember.

I by accident burp maybe once a year and it shocks me when I do but I can't see any pattern in how I accidently did burp.

This week I had three course meal and alcohol. Was mega full. That night I woke up with heartburn/acid reflux. The pain was evil lying on my right, I as usual got the gurgles when lying in my left. Two omeprazole pills later and it calmed down a bit, but I have since then felt so bloated and gurgled. I do have IBS but it hasn't been bad this week.

My doc has said in the past that acid reflux causes asthma cough to be triggered at night. Which is why I was prescribed omeprazole years ago.

I can't face the thought of sticking anything down my throat. I occasionally gag and burb by accident when cleaning my teeth, so it seems we A&E a collective of non burpersmfor sure.

I was 5 weeks prem but my parents say I did burp as a baby. I hate ouking though so have always assumed my not being able to burp was because I was something to do with that.

I am going to try some of the non finger in throat things suggested on here, I live in hope...lol
hello all,

I've seen many of your comments and can feel your pain.. coz i had the same problem for one complete year.. This burps prblm may sound so simple for many but when it comes to reality its like we r in some kinda hell.. lot of concentration is need just for single burp..

SOLUTION : One solution which i found out may sound really odd bt out of experience i have an advice for you all..
Try eating a clove of Raw garlic.. Garlic is generaly used in most of the Indian foods jus to avoid the gas prblms due to the spices included..
I am not a doctor but i could actually feel that after taking a Raw garlic (you can take it with water as it is spicy to eat directly),i felt it easy to burp!!

This is  my personal experience!

Am sure this would help most of you!! Just give it a try..
One solution which i found out may sound really odd bt out of experience i have an advice for you..

This is  my personal experience!

Also if you feel stomach bloating then make a habit of eating cumin seeds or Ajwain regularly.. this helps in digestion..
try eating cumin seeds before every meal
One solution which i found out may sound really odd bt out of experience i have an advice for you all..

This is  my personal experience!
Hey Josh,

I share a lot of the symptoms with others on this board but I know ours are identical as we've come to the same solutions.

Only one I'd add, similar to sucking in air, is that a hard swallow can sometimes force a more substantial gurgle release!
Has anyone thought of getting their thyroid checked? I have this out of no where i used to burp then or now I can't but i pass horrid gas constantly. so I also have to push my throat in a little in the front to cough out phlegm. I sweat alot, cranky for no reason, dehydrated and woosy legged to where I thought I had diabetes. This thyroid thing is running the show and can be easily over looked because of the other things it causes kind of masks what it is doing by not letting the air pass maybe swollen glands or Adnoids, Unless you have done this your whole life which could mean you have a small birth defect that is maybe in your throat or soft pallet area. I dislike doctors that think your a nut job or over complainer because this one thing can cause so many issues at the same time.. I could be dead wrong but if there are no other answers you can find maybe look into this stuff I hope it helps. good luck
I've lived with this for a large part of my life. I can't really remember when it started, but I noticed it becoming a problem about 2 years ago. I'm 18 now. I've never thought to google it because I thought it was normal to get these gurgles, and I thought I just get way more of them. I do drink a lot of diet coke, but recently I have stopped hoping it would help. Even when I just drink water I get them. I often feel nauseous and the only release are these gurgles. I hate it because they are VERY embarrassing and uncontrollable. Sometimes they can be very loud, and everyone can hear them. People often mistake them for stomach growls.
I only burp every other month or so. They're always very small though. I wish I could burp! All my siblings can burp on command and they are always trying to help me but I just end up gurgling. It's horrible.
You can get rid of burping its very simple and i think every one can practice this steps to overcome any bad situation.

Please have a look at this video below it may help so many people who suffer from burping issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXnpX2MCxSk
22 years old, burped accidentally 3 times my whole life I think (not counting throwing up when sick >_>). Just like everybody, really annoying when bloated/drinking beers,etc.

Last 'medical research' I read was someone doing a survey on facebook about it but that's it. No working help/medication for this condition yet apparently :(
ong i have the same problem im 13 and this has happened to me ever since i can remember i got a big relief when i found this website i always thought i was the only one my friends always laugh when i do kinda burp but when i do its really loud and gross sounding to everyone else this really ***** but im glad im not the only one
Viewing 201-285 comments: