i am physically unable to burp.
All my life i have been unable to burp. I have these awful embarrassing involuntary gurgles that are sometimes loud and others not as loud. As long as i could remember, i have felt bloated after i eat too much or drink anything. Many people have tried to teach me how to burp but i simply cant. Almost everytime i yawn though, i always seem to let out a tiny burp or maybe a gurgle and i feel a little relief. i have noticed i yawn a lot more than other people, maybe this is a way my body tries to get out the access air. I hardly throw up or get sick. I have thrown up maybe seven or eight times in my life and i am 17 now. I do remember everytime i throw up i belch really loud before doing so. It sounds horrific and i have never heard anyone burp the way i do when i am sick. No one believes i cant burp, even the people who have heard my gurgles. My mothier thinks i am weird and refuses to take me to any kind of docter because she thinks i am making this up. i am afraid that if i dont get help soon i might just blow up. Recently, i was curious if i was the only one with this problem so i did some research online. I have come to find that many people have experienced what i have but i have heard nothing about a cure or a name for this problem. If someone has an answer or the same or similar problem, please let me know (:

thank you so much,
paige.
I am 41 years old and have never been able to burp. I have burped twice in my life and ,since it is such a rare moment, I remember them distintcly. I am miserable right now because I ate a big lunch and need to burp but can't. It's a horrible feeling. My body seems to make these noises that I call " groaks". It almost sounds like a frog croaking. So embarrassing ! I wish I knew how to fix this. I have taken 3 gas-x tablets hoping that would help but no!  
Like a lot of the other posters on here iv never been able to burp, iv rarely ever been sick and suffer severe bloating, gurgling and heartburn particularly when I eat out or im in a social situation for some reason.  I also suffer from wind at the other end  particularly at the end of the day and at night.   I bloat when I  exercise and if i drink too much get severe hiccups which fortunately stops me from drinking any more as it is so painful.  The fingers down the throat does work but like others its very loud and sounds as though i'm vomiting which is embarrassing in social situations,  I don't think there is a cure but it's comforting to know im not the only one out there I just thought I was freaky.  Im also lactose intolerant and iv noticed that chocolate makes it worse but even water sets  off what i thought was heartburn but now I realise its the inability to burp.
I've been searching for answers for my entire life (I'm 28) and this is the first time I've found a forum with other people who have literally every single problem that I've had with this specific issue.  I'll add this:  I've also had a fear of vomiting my whole life, and whenever I would be about to vomit when I'm sick (or too drunk...), I almost always just end up dry-heaving.  I also have very bad anxiety.  I am prescribed Xanax, which I take as needed and have taken for a very long time.  The accidental burps actually tend to happen more when I take the Xanax, and after reading this thread, it makes total sense why.  If it is an issue with the throat muscle being unable to relax, the Xanax must relax me (and my muscles) enough to sometimes allow the burps to happen.  I have bad GERD, can only "accidentally" burp a tiny bit of air out a couple times a month, ALWAYS have HORRIBLE foul smelling gas, am ALWAYS extremely bloated...etc etc etc.  I've been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, I've had upper GIs, Barium swallows, etc, and of course, doctors have NO idea what they are talking about when it comes to this.  I am a veterinary student and I take Ritalin because I have issues concentrating while studying, and the Ritalin is obviously anxiety-inducing as a stimulant and I had to weigh the pros and cons of starting the medication knowing that I would have to deal with the added anxiety, as an anxiety-prone person... and it makes the gurgles extremely severe and even more frequent-- which completey defeats the purpose of taking it in the first place because I end up being unable to concentrate!!  I've noticed that it will often happen for the entire duration that I'm awake during the day.  Once it starts, it basically doesn't stop until I lay on my back at the end of the day or take a break from studying and lay down because it's just really that bad.  I'm worried this is so distracting that I could possibly end up failing out of school... I'm going back to the doctor to discuss Schatzki's ring, Cricopharyngeal muscle issues, etc, and I'm not going to let them dismiss it this time.  I'm printing out this thread and demanding that they read it and educate themselves so that they can hopefully help me and everyone else suffering like I am.  I know how awful this condition can be, and I am sorry that we all have to deal with this every day.
Well on  I know I'm not the only one....  tile I will randomly burp but it will be a little one like hours after I eat but I cant get one out when I need it to...  pisses me off because my five year old  daughter burps like a man and I'm over here making weird noises from my throat and chest....  she just looks at me like I'm weird.  Almost everything a read on this page is exactly what I experience when needing to burp.  
Wow stupid auto correct hopefully you all got it....
I have three kids ages 12,8,and 5..all my kids burp like crazy and two of them are girls and i have never burped in my life
This is the best thread ever. It always makes me happy when I meet others with this type of thing, honestly don't get me wrong I wish we all could burp to our hearts desire but since we are plagued, I find comfort in all my non-burping buddies! I do want to add my two scents which is this: I've experienced a bunch of ENT doctor visits where they've stuck a microscope up my nose and down my throat, and still not much closer to burping whenever I want. However I've found some remedies myself: soda or fizzy water, you know the sparklingly water everybody hates; well yea carbonation (NOT A LOT MIND YOU) is the key in getting those stubborn burps out. Second is emergency (the powder drinks you make that a teacher thought of ) third is throwing myself on the ground, Standing up stretching my neck and patting my chest then dying. I've come to accept that sometimes it just will disappear or come out on its own- front or behind. My experiences are pretty much how they've been explained with the zombie like noises, and gurgling stomach. Oh and let's not forget the times when burps do come it'll most always be in the presence of what I last ate/drink. Oh What a perfect life
I have never been able to voluntarily burp and I am now 60 years old.  Instead I get that weird gurgling that sounds like I have a monster in my throat and stomach. If I eat a huge meal, I have to gag myself to get the excess gas out of my stomach,  since I am not able to burp it out.  I have never seen a doctor for this, just have lived with it.  I also have had heartburn most of my life.  Now I have developed a new symptom where I sometimes get a weird tightening feeling in my esophagus after eating.  It feels like a ball of gas and acid stuck in my chest. Sometimes the pain will last for over an hour.   So now I try to take smaller bites and chew really well. Oh the pain of having digestive problems!  
I'm laughing like a hyena with empathy.  Yup.  Exactly.
Ok everyone, I have not been able to burp for the last 18 years, I am 26 now and had just gotten a botox injection in my Upper esophageal sphincter. I have been to 10 doctors for this problem and done research on this problem for the last 2.5 years.  If you can feel an air bubble rise up to the top of your throat and feel it stay trapped there then this is your solution. The botox will paralyze the muscle and force it to relax which will allow you to vent excess air. I live in Texas and I had to travel to Illinois to get the only doctor in the U.S that believes this problem does exist. Look into this doctor at his website.
http://www.bastianvoice.com/
I'm 19 right now and I haven't been able to burp for as long as I can remember. However, I don't think I've been gurgling my entire life. I think I started the gurgles when I was 11 or 12. Most of the time, it was just embarrassing. Lately, it has been getting really uncomfortable and annoying. After I eat anything, I gurgle constantly for an hour or two afterwards. Occasionally, I can accidentally burp but never on purpose. Recently, I was very sick with food poisoning. I threw up every hour for about 3-4 days. After my sickness, I have noticed my gurgling has been even worse than before. I also keep getting the hiccups (side note: my friend told me to eat a spoonful of peanut butter when I have the hiccups and it usually gets rid of them). I don't know why I can only gurgle but I was never too concerned since it didn't hurt me or bother me as much. Now, I feel embarrassed to even be around people after I've eaten. It's so involuntary that I'll gurgle when I'm speaking to people. My sister thinks it's gross so she yells at me to go away all the time and doesn't let me eat around her because she knows I'll start gurgling. I have also been very bloated lately. I just want to know what this is and why it is happening to all of us.
How is the botox injection working for you DJM05? Have you developed a belch reflex? With it being botox I would imagine one would need one of these twice maybe even three times annually?

I live in the UK but would nevertheless consider flying over to have this procedure done if it was the real deal. Many thanks in advance.
Full control over burping now. Procedure was done 9 months ago.
Try using a malgaldrate. I was around 17 when I wasn't able to burp for 2 months and this solved the problem (It feels incredibly reliving :). Although this is usually prescribed for reflux (antacid), it also solved this symptom. It gets converted into magnesium hydroxide in your tummy, it might be similar to magnesium citrate, though I haven't tried that.
wow hello everyone! I cant believe I'm not the only one! I'm 21 I haven't been able to burp for as long as I can remember. I've had so many people try to "teach" me how to burp but nothing ever works and I also get made fun of for the gurgling in my throat. It gets old.
Now that I'm at the legal drinking age, I've come to realize alcohol is one of my worst enemies. I get so sick after just drinking 2+ beers (ok I hate beer, so by beer I mean Reds Apple Ale) and I get so gassy and after a while it's hard to even breathe cause I'm so blocked up. I also have a phobia of vomiting so even the thought of sticking my fingers down my throat makes me kind of uneasy. So I get so ticked (and jealous) very easily when a friend tells me how "drunk" they got the other night when I can barely get a buzz going on. So it's really frustrating.
I also love drinking Pepsi with a meal but when I do I'm not able to eat much cause the bubbles from the pop fill me up and I can't release it. But if I drink water with my meal then I'm able to eat it all and I also wont feel sick after. But water isn't as satisfying as Pepsi haha so I just drink it anyway then regret it later.
But anyway, I feel a little better after reading all of your comments and getting my story out there.
hi  im 46 and have also dealt with this for my whole life. I always thought it was a hiatal hernia (self diagnosed) but i suspect it is not now after reading this post. I also use the "finger" method when it becomes unbearable but i find that staying away from triggers is the best thing. Stay away from carbonated bevs, overeating, nicotine, alchohol. I know that's a lot but it has the benefit of promoting a healthy lifestyle=).  I also find that keeping your abdominals in good shape is beneficial. Once again dove tails nicely with promoting a good healthy life style.  Don't get me wrong i still sometimes overeat, drink, smoke (weed not cigs) but I know there will be a price to pay so I pick my spots.  When all else fails tho, i find somewhere to relieve the pressure using the finger method. It is what it is...

I'm 27 and have also had this problem since I can remember, I read all these forums tried the different tablets nothing tried the gripe mixture a few weeks ago and nothing.

Then.....

3 days night ago I was trying to sleep (as I no how uncomfortable it gets) I then tried to burp while doing this I pushed on the bottom of my neck and held it there for a few seconds, as soon as I let go I Burped !!!!!

I'm now doing this quite frequently but I have noticed it is getting easier to burp !

Hope This Helps !!!!! :)
Wow..so many ppl with the same problem!  I finally decided after 35 years to ask Google what it meant after asking what an angry dragon was..I can't believe there is no sure thing for this..I drink quite a bit and used to party pretty hard & self inducing "air vomiting"to this day is my only relief...if anyone has a solid answer or knows a name for this, please let me know..maybe we can start an anonymous group & have meetings.jk, but really, Im tired of people thinking that Im dying just because I had a beer and a piece of pizza...
Hi Dave198823, great to hear that you've found something that works for you. Could you please be more specific about how you were lying down and where on your neck you applied pressure? I (like many others!) would like to see if I can make this work for me too!
Cheers
Grim67, I was supposed to say that I applied pressure to the bottom of my throat while trying to burp. Apply pressure for a few seconds then let go.

I also found that if i turn my head to the right and applied pressure to the bottom of the left side of my throat that this works well aswell !

Try different area's of your throat...after almost a week I am now finding that sometimes I am now able to burp on my own (only small ones though but better than nothing !)

Hope this helps ! :)
I would also like to add that now i can do this and burp in any position doesnt have to be laying down, so applying pressure to the bottom of my neck while trying to burp, after a few seconds let go and thats it ! :)
I have added another comment further down ! :)
When you say wretch, does that mean vomit?  Sorry I am from the U.S. and we don't use that term lol
I am soo sorry to get back to you so late. I had my procedure done in November. I have full control over belching 2 weeks after the procedure and still perfect today. This procedure was 100% worth getting done. Being free of this vice gave me my life back.
Everyone with this problem needs to see Dr. Robert W. Bastian. If you can feel air stopping at the mid to lower part of your neck then you have a non relaxing upper esophageal sphincter. No endoscopy, manometry or any other test will show that this problem is real because it is neurological, not physical. Unfortunately there is no research in this but I feel like I may be the only person so far who has had this problem cured. I had 4 Botox injections done on my upper esophageal sphincter to paralyize the muscle and force it to relax which allows me to vent all the excess air. I have full control over belching now, even to were I can purposely swallow air and belch it back up on command. I will be more than happy to show proof and answer any questions.
I am very excited about possible solution. How are you now ?
Can you tell me more about the botox injections ? It will working forever or it needs to be done again and again ?
9 months in now since the injections and perfectly in control. If your body does not relearn within how to burp on its own by the time the Botox wears off then you will need to go back for another treatment. The only other possible 100% fix would be to get an esophageal myotomy.
Like many of you i'm sure, i'm absolutely amazed that I found this thread. I am a 24 year old male, i've suffered this problem my entire life, but as an auxiliary symptom of my dysphagia (great difficulty swallowing food, often choking). Even though in the past my dysphagia has temporarily subsided, i've never been able to shift the inability to burp. It feels as if there is a physical obstruction blocking the way out, it's very uncomfortable. At this point i'm certain it's a neurological problem. I have visited a few cognitive behavioural therapists, and adult speech therapists without much luck because they have literally zero experience in regards to this rare issue. One would think this should be a natural human bodily function! I've only briefly skimmed over what everyone has shared over the last several years in this thread, and i'm looking forward to gaining helpful knowledge from it. It's nice to know i'm not alone regarding this issue nobody else seems to understand.
I am 24 and also have never burped. Not since I was a baby. I eat all organic, and clean foods, work out, get enough sleep, don't live a stressful life style and still have trouble with getting bloated, gurgles, and excess gas. Most of these stories are of my generation and I have to wonder if it is linked somehow. If the medical industry has not heard of it then it must be an unexplored and recent thing happening mostly to the youth. I wonder if there is a connection to this. Besides most of us growing up with gmo and chemically grown food, I wonder if most or any of you also were bottle fed as a baby. When we are babies we are doing most of our development. There is a reason why nature breast feeds their young. If a calf does not get direct milk from a mama cow then it dies because it does not develop correctly. I wonder if there is a connection between this and humans? Please respond. Would love to put more research into this.
Wow!  I'm so glad I found you all!  I'm 48 and have been suffering for hours with my "unborn burps".  I've been unable to burp for my entire life, also, except for rare "baby burps".  I get severe pressure in my chest and the loud gurgles.  I've been diagnosed with GERD but rarely get heartburn.  I also have a vomiting phobia, but I rarely DO vomit.  The last time I did, in 2014, it didn't have the force behind it that it used to have, and it was actually kind of hard to get the stuff out.  Ugh.  I take omeprazole, 20 mgs.  I did a little better at 80 mgs., but that is a lot.  I ended up with small bowel bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).  I used to take Levsinex for IBS.  I get that when I go to long without eating.  Then I can't stop releasing gas--as farts.  I pray for farts when I get the unborn burps because, eventually, the air moves down and out.  Relief!  I've had lots of tests.  I think it's a UES abnormality.  I really don't want a mannometry (not sure of spelling) to check the muscles as that is apparently pretty awful, but I may push for it soon.  I have Scleroderma, an autoimmune disease that affects the GI system, as well as a rare genetic disorder, EDS, that messed up connective tissue, including in the GI system.  I'm not suggesting that's the problem for all, but I believe it at least adds to my burden.  With you all in gurgles, Steph
I have the same problem never been able to burp.. I;ve had family members try to teach me,, people I tell dont believe me either. I had colic when I was a baby my mam believes thats got something to do with it,, I get the same type or gurgles mostly at night when Im lying down. 26 now and never thought of doing any research and now I noticed it not just me
I'm sorry to hear your son feels down hearted about his condition.  But I would like to share some good news!  My 8 year old has no burping problem.  Belly pains because of it.  Dr. put him on behind the counter get liquid Zantac and now he belches 20 times per day!  No belly pains.  Zantac slows the acid production in the stomach.  I'm not sure why it has allowed him to burp but he's pain free and is lovin the sounds it gives lol.  
My son 8, has the same problem, no burping and causes belly pain.  Pediatrician put him on behind the counter, liquid Zantac (for kids) and now he burps 20 times a day.  No belly pain and excited about all the belching sounds he makes.  Lol.  Hope this helps everyone xo
My 8 year old same problem, can't burp and caused belly pain.  Pediatrician gave him liquid zantac for kids and now he burps 20 times per day and free from pain.  Hope this helps
I would absolutely LOVE to see a Youtube video showing exactly how you do this!  I've pressed all over my neck a hundred times, but still can't seem to get any burps out.  (member of the no burp club)
Same here all the same results especially with bubbly things like soda.
I'm 62, never been able to burp, have all the same symptoms as everyone else, and I have to make myself gag to release gas.  The gas build-up can be so bad, esp. if we are in a social situation, that I feel like I'm going to explode. I have 4 healthy siblings.  My mom smoked when she was pregnant, didn't breast feed any of us and certainly gave us all whole cow's milk before the age of 12 months (they couldn't afford formula), and we grew up on candy and fast food.  I'm the only one who can't burp.  If it were was a condition related to environment, then a whole lot of us (baby boomers) would have the same problem.  I saw a doctor at Mayo yesterday.  He's never heard of it.  I'm having an endoscopy in a few weeks.  I know it's not going to show anything related to my inability to burp.  Despair.
I'm also in the no burp club. Never have been able to. Feel bloated and gurgle after most meals with burning feeling in my throat. Pass gas a lot, but it almost never smells. Went to the doctor. She told me it's not a big deal, and to take antacids if I get heart burn. Those only increase my bloating though.
Same problem here. I am 32 years old and even when i was a baby my mom said she tried for hours at time and i wouldnt. I get a bloated feeling alot but nothing happens..its funny seems my wife might have the opposite she does it quite a bit..i never thought i would say this but im getting jelous of people that can burp.
i have same problem as you lot also after being out with mates i get to around 11pm and have to stop drinking as i feel sick due t gas BUT i have found something that works for me its a little grim but gets rid of my gas and hic ups instantly.
i take a cap full of viniger and within seconds my gas has gone and hicups but if im on a night out il take a few packs of viniger out with me.  
I hope everyone will read this who has this problem.

I have had dysfunction of the belch reflex for 18 years and am now cured and 100% in control of burping.

This dysfunction is a neurological problem, which means that no physical test will prove that this exists. I have tried all possible tests that yield no results.
Barium swallow, esophageal manometry, endoscopy, Thyroid ultrasound, gastric emptying scan.  These are all the tests I have done which got me nowhere, do not waste your money on these.  

I had been to 10 different doctors ranging from ear nose and throat doctors, gastrologists, and speech pathologist's. None of them willing to understand the seriousness of this problem.

2.5 years of research lead me to find Dr. Bastian. The only doctor in the united states willing to take this problem seriously. I told him all my symptoms and we determined that a non relaxing upper esophageal sphincter is the cause and using Botox injections on the muscle would temporarily paralyze the muscle enough to vent excess air.  

Botox is temporary, lasting 3-4 months. I have not had to go back for another injection since my first one which was over 6 months ago now. I believe that my body has relearned how to relax the upper esophageal sphincter own it's own.

Doctor Bastian iseveryones best bet in getting this dysfunction fixed. Feel free to ask me anything about this.
Where is this doctor located ?
Hi where is this doctor located I have the same problem, it never occurred to me that I couldn't burp until about 1 year ago and I am 16, I am able to let out very tiny burps if I get to bloated, but not enough to give me relief
I had my procedure done by dr. Bastian in Illinois. The procedure was done at Good Samaritan Hospital which is in Downers Grove
You can search Bastian voice Institute to or just go to his website at Bastian voice.com
I would absolutely love to try this, but i have heard that the botox injections have the potential to diffuse in the blood/damage vocal cords? Also, i am worried just because of how dangerous botox actually in?
I had 4 injections done back in November. I have been perfectly fine ever since. Botox is said to last 3-4 months. It may be possible for it to affect other areas near the injection site but it did not change anything in my voice.
Hello DJM05,
Where is Dr Bastian located? I looked it up, but there are many Dr Bastians out there. Is it the one in Illinois ? Any help is greatly appreciated ! I would try pretty much anything to be able to burp. Thanks again!
Yes Downer's Grove Illinois
I am the same way. I have little growling noises instead of burping. Its almost like it doesnt want to or cant come all the way up. Like it gets stuck in my esophagus.if I am lucky I might actually really burp 3 or 4 times a year. But when I through up I make all kinds of wired loud burping sounds.I am 27 now and its never changed. If thats not odd enough I cant snap either. It *****!
Same here. 35 and only burp when I vomit. I make quiet little popping/gurgling noises which I have no control over. Almost like a mini burp I suppose. The pressure in my stomach eases then a little. But I fart terribly. Must be making up for the air that doesnt come up
The yawning sometimes releases a little air. I wonder if it's something to do with muscles in the throat allowing wind up
Thank you for making me realise that I am not the only one with this. I also have never been able to burp, get the "gurgles", and suffer from emetophobia and acid reflux. I had an endoscopy, and apparently my acid reflux is cause by my LES being loose. After reading your comments, I'm convinced that everything I've mentioned is related somehow, it's just frustrating to not know how.
I am with you. Been a gurgler my entire adult life. Acid reflux led to sleep disorders, 48 years in. SSDI bound. Never wanted this, and WEEP for my lost years, failed marriage, self-employment ventures... Wouldn't it be easier to work things out? Practically lived at the doctor's office, only to hear one thing over and over..."hmm, can't burp? hmm. and heartburn keeps you awake? frequent morning vomiting?" If one more "doctor" shrugged this off and asked me if I, a male, was pregnant... 48 ******* years. And I am about done. Put a bullet in me.
I will be checking this forum daily now.
Anyone who has not seen my previous posts should send me a message. I am, as far as I know, one of the first people to get cured from dysfunction of the belch reflex.

Robert W. Bastian, located in Downer's Grove Illinois is the only doctor to my knowledge and honestly the only doctor I trust to do Botox injections on the upper esophageal sphincter.  I have been cured for 9 months now from one  procedure.

I am happy to talk to anyone with any questions related to the inability to burp.
Well, then, here's a big twist to the belching prblm maybe ur doc wud know the answer to. I also NEVER burp. I get the gurgling noises and heartburn, and have to stick a tongue depressor down my throat to burp when that happens. BUT, I also have Symphonic Disphonia, aka shaky voice, like Kathryn Hepburn had in On Golden Pond. U can Google it - Spazmodic or Symphonic Disphonia. I bring this up only bcuz I get botox injections every few months in the muscles in either side of my vocal cords to "smooth"out my voice. Now, I am wondering if I shud talk to the doc about also getting the shots where u got them to help u. I have told many docs about this prblm but they don't really see it as a serious conditon, but it is painful. What can I do? Oh, and just an FYI, the botox injections I rcv for my throat do nothing to alleviate the discomfort of not burping.
If you feel air getting trapped at the point between your Adams Apple and the bottom of your neck then the problem is the upper esophageal sphincter. Your vocal cords are in no way related the the UES. You would need a separate injection in the cricopharyngeal muscle.