inguinal hernia and facial swelling
About 4 years ago, my husban's tongue swelled up in the middle of the night. It seemed like it may have been an allergic reaction because we found a dead bee on the window, but two weeks later his right cheek swelling, 2 weeks after that his bottom lip swelled out so far that his lip cracked, and two weeks after that the left cheeck.  Antihistamines seem to do nothing. Steroids seem to do nothing and certainly non of these symptom treating drugs pointed toward a cure.

The swelling disappeared for about 4 years. This summer, it started again.  In addition, during the night he popped a right inguinar hernia to top it off.  He went for various blood tests, checked for lymphoma which came negative, and did a full body CAT scan.  The only thing that came up was a tiny polyp inside a loop of the wall of part of the small intestine.  Once again, the swelling subsided until last night.  His facial swelling occurs suddenly, and lasts about 24-48 hours before going down.

We are completely stumped.  Could the polpy be hitting a nerve and when he is stressed the swelling occurs? Could there be some liver dysfunction? Is this possibly related to the hernia?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Martilyn