Gastroenterology Community
iron deficiency anemia cause
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

iron deficiency anemia cause

I just had 2 stents removed - one from the pancreatic duct and the other from the CBD.  During these ongoing procedures and subsequent pancreatitis and hospital stays, I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia.  The stool and celiac testing all came back "negative" - however, my H&H are still quite low.  

I am post menopausal and all the procedures to date have been negative for any bleeding ulcers etc.  The last colonoscopy I had was 5 yrs ago and it was negative.

I am a vegetarian however I substitute soy products for protein and other than this critically low H&H am relatively healthy.  So, does anyone have any ideas about where the chronic blood loss could be coming from?

Thanks
Related Discussions
710547_tn?1295449630
Hi, I too have very low Hemoglobin and Hematocrit.  I have been tested for bleeding, but none has been found.  Iron anemia can be strictly from diet - you need red meat, not just soy etc. - or for reasons they don't understand.  I've had to have transfusions a couple times, and I hover around 10 - 11 most of the time for Hemoglobin.  I have problems with regurgitating gastric contents when sleeping (no esophageal motility, hiatal hernia, scleroderma esophagus & barrett's) and one time it was totally black.  Alot of the gastric contents are aspirated - some goes into my sinuses and I either blow it out or it drains out while sleeping (what a mess - especially since I'm on oxygen!).  Anyway, that was blood, and the doctor said it was probably a vessel burst that then healed.  Your anemia might not be due to a bleeding problem is what I'm saying. You don't say there's evidence for it.?  I do wish you well.  Jan
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...