Aa
A
A
Close
iron deficiency anemia cause
I just had 2 stents removed - one from the pancreatic duct and the other from the CBD.  During these ongoing procedures and subsequent pancreatitis and hospital stays, I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia.  The stool and celiac testing all came back "negative" - however, my H&H are still quite low.  

I am post menopausal and all the procedures to date have been negative for any bleeding ulcers etc.  The last colonoscopy I had was 5 yrs ago and it was negative.

I am a vegetarian however I substitute soy products for protein and other than this critically low H&H am relatively healthy.  So, does anyone have any ideas about where the chronic blood loss could be coming from?

Thanks
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
710547 tn?1295449630
Hi, I too have very low Hemoglobin and Hematocrit.  I have been tested for bleeding, but none has been found.  Iron anemia can be strictly from diet - you need red meat, not just soy etc. - or for reasons they don't understand.  I've had to have transfusions a couple times, and I hover around 10 - 11 most of the time for Hemoglobin.  I have problems with regurgitating gastric contents when sleeping (no esophageal motility, hiatal hernia, scleroderma esophagus & barrett's) and one time it was totally black.  Alot of the gastric contents are aspirated - some goes into my sinuses and I either blow it out or it drains out while sleeping (what a mess - especially since I'm on oxygen!).  Anyway, that was blood, and the doctor said it was probably a vessel burst that then healed.  Your anemia might not be due to a bleeding problem is what I'm saying. You don't say there's evidence for it.?  I do wish you well.  Jan
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources