Aa
A
A
Close
Blank
kinks in small intestine shutting down intestines
I am a stage 3 rectal cancer survivor, diagnosed in 2006. I had a resection done without having to have a colostomy. I keep having attacks about every few weeks of severe upper and lower abdominal pain and swelling. After a few hours I start vomitting. Once the vomitting stops after a several hours the swelling subsides but the entire gut area is so sore for a few days, I had adhesions removed last summer (2009) and they found that my small intestine loops closed (partially sometimes and totally other times when vomitting) . I have been hospitalized numerous times with this. Sometimes they say it is an ilius others a partial obstruction. Treatment has been nothing by mouth to shutting down the stomach with insertion of a NG tube until bowel movements start. I have discontinued fiber treatment several times because I don't seem to do well with it after a few weeks (1/2 teaspoon metamucil). Then the bowel movements get  smaller in size and then I start to get backed up again. I do take polyethylene glycol 17 grams per day to keep stool moving and it does well most of the time. Is it time to consider a removal of the small intestine? I have just had 2 episodes in 1 weeks time and I can't keep doing this.
Cancel
1 Answers
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I have something very similar and cannot find out what is wrong.  What did you find out?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
Top Digestive Answerers
Blank
fntn