Gastroenterology Community
lazy stomach, acid reflux

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

lazy stomach, acid reflux

I have received a diagnosis since December 2008 of having a lazy stomach after my esophagectomy, due to esphogeal cancer.  2/3 of my esophagus and 1/4 to 1/3 of my stomach was removed and pulled up to make a new esophagus.  I take 40 mg. of prilosec twice a day and 20 mg. of pepcid ac to control acid reflux.  Is it possible that decreasing the acid with these drugs is adding to the slowness of my stomach digesting food?  I have to be very careful what I eat, more in quantity, but type of food also, to control acid reflux, even with this amount of medication.  Botox was injected into the  pyloric valve March of 2009 to try to elevate some of this problem.  I just had gastrectomy and food was found in my stomach after having not eaten for over 15 hours.  I take probiotics, lactose intolerance aid, aloe vera, and digestive enzymes.  Do you feel these are helpful to use or should I try something else?  
Joanie, there is a medication that can be tried in those with gastroparesis, although I'm not sure that it's suggested for those who are experiencing your individual problems. Depending on where you are located, you may want to ask your doc about a medication called reglan. It can have some very serious side-effects, so be sure to discuss the situation fully.