life after colectomy
What can I expect in the weeks and months following a total colectomy?  Will I ever have normal bowel movements after the surgery and how long will it take to feel totally normal again?
In 2004 I underwent a total colectomy for torrential diverticular bleeding and, in answer to another Medhelp patient's question, I posted my own recollections on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Your bowel movements are likely to be loose and frequent in the period after your surgery but, over time, the frequency should gradually reduce and the consistency become more muddy/sludgy.

I recommend a high fibre diet to solidify your motions - imagine a liquid spillage on the kitchen floor on which you throw sawdust to make the spillage more semi-solid.

To this extent try:-

- pulverised fresh vegetables to which organic bran has been added
- pulverised fresh fruit to which organic bran has been added
- home made muesli for breakfast (soak oats and organic bran in milk, add lemon juice, grated apple, nuts etc). It looks like wet cement but tastes OK
- only organic wholemeal bread, no white bread, colas, junk food etc
- yes you can have some Swiss chocolate as a treat!!

Please do come back with any further questions you may have.

regards
Morecambe