Gastroenterology Community
loose stools with no other symptoms

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

loose stools with no other symptoms

ok...i think i can link it back to around when i adopted my daughter. i am single no other kids. it seems like ever since she got home, around that time, i have had loose stools and diarrhea, and this is almost THREE years ago. the thing is i have NO other symptoms. i have no other health issues except that i am overweight. i can eat anything, no stomach problems at all, just this loose stool. i kind of figured maybe just the added stress of being a mom caused it and this is just how my stress manifests. it just seems odd after all this time and STILL the loose stools, i rarely have a regular "log" type BM anymore.

now, she came from haiti. parasites are common there. i have also been there 4 times total. but i know that the giardia smell is horrific and my poo doesn't smell like that. just normal poo smell i think. plus, my daughter did not have giardia. i have not brought this up with my doc so i haven't had any tests. because i feel completely normal and have no stomach issues, i just never bothered, but could it be "something?"

thanks

steph
hey steph not much help..but firing off a guess..

simple test would be to just eat unseasoned meats/rice/turkey/pears for a good oooo...week or 2...sounds hard but it's not too bad and note your reaction to the diet.  Loose stools is a symptom of a food intolerance so maybe going gluten free/dairy/free..might help you out.  

(no reliable test out there for food intolerance anyway so it's worth a shot since you've been sick for so long)

But yeah another idea is to do a stool study/sample...like with me they found nothing but white blood cells indication inflammation but it wouldn't culture out - so they suggested food intolerance/celiac for me but for you could do a stool study to test for parasites/bacteria and such.  But my doctor told me there isn't a bug that will last that long alive in you...if there was one it would have died long ago..so chances are you wouldn't find anything but abnormal results (red blood cells..white blood cells and such) so I'm thinking low fiber diet..or you're having issues with something you're eating and now intolerant to it.
Thank you for your input! there IS one other thing that goes along with it i gues....I think that I do have frequent gas. not painful gas just, you know, farting. in the morning when i wake, just periodically. i am not sure how much the normal person with zero intestinal issues is supposed to fart, but....that is the only thing i could think of that goes along with the loose stool!

gosh i wonder what i could be i'm allergic to! how do you figure it out when you are used to eating EVERYTHING?

steph