Gastroenterology Community
low liver enzymes?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

low liver enzymes?

I'm having trouble finding information on the meaning of LOW liver enzyme readings.  Recent bloodwork for me showed ast/sgot at 12 u/l and alt/sgpt at 6 u/l.  I know I don't want high readings - had some trouble with medication induced jaundice earlier this year - but those readings seem freaky.  

I also had low CO2 (22) and a ridiculously low cGFR (2), which I figure must be a mistake, because surely I'd be showing signs of severe problems.  

My thyroid function was all our of whack, with a low T3 and T4 and also thyroid peroxidase antibodies of 249.  We're working on getting that back under control.  

Could the thyroid issue be affecting the liver enzyme readings?  And is that perhaps why my doc didn't mention them?  I will be getting the thyroid stuff rechecked in three months - should I get the other things checked out again then, too?  

Tags: Liver, alt, Thyroid, AST