Gastroenterology Community
lower chest upper stomach pressure/pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

lower chest upper stomach pressure/pain

ok so last year i went to the doctor because i was having pain in my upper stomach and it was kindda accidic when i burp or after eating so she told me it was GERDS she gave me some med for it. at the beggining of this year i went back and she gave me more med but it wasnt helping. couple months ago i went because i was having a very sharp pain in my upper stomach and lower chest that would go all the way to my upper back. the pain was so bad! first i had like a pain atack for like 30 mins i couldnt move i had to stay bending over my bed at an angle and stedy and the pain whent away. the second time it was so bad for couple of hours i went to the hospital ER but since it whent away while i was waiting i just went back home and i went back to my dr. she told me to go for a gallbladder ultrasound... i did it came out positive for gallstones but she didnt tell me what i needed to do or any explanation on how to help ease the pain. this week i been having this pain every day all day its getting so bad it gets hard to move around, eat and breathe.... it sometimes feels like pressure in my lower chest upper stomach and the only thing that helps alittle its when i lean over something to aply some pressure to it but its really really bad pain.. what can i do? is this pain caussed by gallstones?
Does the pain come after you have eaten fatty foods? If it is gall stones then an attack would normally be brought on by eating fatty foods as this would make your gall bladder active. Your doctor should prescribe you some very powerful painkillers, seen as though you have been diagnosed as having gall stones i would suspect that this would be the cause of the pain.
Call the Dr. and ask for a surgical referral.
Gail
the pain its after i eat any kind of food even though i been cutting down the fatty food i still get the pain
I would get checked out by a specialist, you have been suffering from GERD so it could be a bad case of Hiatus Hernia, most people with GERD have Hiatus Hernia where the fundus of the stomach can slide up and down through the diaphragm but in some cases a portion of the stomach can get trapped between the esophagus and the diaphram in the chest cavity in a permanent state, which can make you feel bruised.
It can also be acute Dyspepsia, which is brought on by GERD damaging the lower esophagus.
But again seen as though you have been diagnosed with gallstones i would still suspect that is the cause of the pain, whenever you eat the gall bladder becomes active, releasing bile to help break down the food, the pipe is basically blocked by small stones, so after you eat this causes inflammation and hence the pain, the pain will be in the upper abdomen, lower chest, but more to the right hand side.
The gallstones can be passed in time, if they are too big to be passed then you normally need to get them broken down to a passable size, but this will still be painfull, if you have lots of small stones then the this can require surgery to get the gall bladder removed.