maroon blood on toilet paper and black stool
I am a 70-year-old woman, former smoker, and today had a black well-formed stool and dark-red blood on the toilet paper. Two days ago, I had abdominal pain about 20 minutes after eating dinner, relieved soon by a bowel movement (soft but not diarrheic, seemed healthy), with another large b.m. the next morning. Occasionally over the past 5 months, I have had an abdominal pain followed by a smelly fart (usually, since I use colace once/day, my stools are gentle and my farts have little smell); also, since November my bowel movements, usually large and soft and light-colored, have been less large (though still in the healthy-looking range, though using colace might make them seem healthier and lighter than otherwise). In 2002 I had a colonoscopy, which found nothing wrong. My doctor checked me (with finger) about 15 months ago for rectal symptoms (I had a large hemorrhoid in the 1990s, removed in 2001 or so), and there were no symptoms. Should I get a colonoscopy? The doctor had, before this symptom today, suggested since my stools had got smaller, that I do the occult blood stool test, but I have trouble to do this; with the blood on the toilet paper today, would it make sense to skip that test and just do the colonscopy?

Yes - I suggest another colonoscopy which is a comprehensive test especially for any form of rectal bleeding.

Look up the medical word (=MELENA) on google for a description of blood-containing BM's and see whether this may apply to you.

But any form of blood ex rectum does require medical advice/treatment.

I don't mean to scare you, but as a previous smoker and aged 70, it will certainly have crossed your mind that you are not a "nil risk" for colon cancer.  This is curable if detected early so I do strongly recommend a colonoscope.

Good luck
regards
Morecambe