Gastroenterology Community
maroon blood on toilet paper and black stool
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

maroon blood on toilet paper and black stool

I am a 70-year-old woman, former smoker, and today had a black well-formed stool and dark-red blood on the toilet paper. Two days ago, I had abdominal pain about 20 minutes after eating dinner, relieved soon by a bowel movement (soft but not diarrheic, seemed healthy), with another large b.m. the next morning. Occasionally over the past 5 months, I have had an abdominal pain followed by a smelly fart (usually, since I use colace once/day, my stools are gentle and my farts have little smell); also, since November my bowel movements, usually large and soft and light-colored, have been less large (though still in the healthy-looking range, though using colace might make them seem healthier and lighter than otherwise). In 2002 I had a colonoscopy, which found nothing wrong. My doctor checked me (with finger) about 15 months ago for rectal symptoms (I had a large hemorrhoid in the 1990s, removed in 2001 or so), and there were no symptoms. Should I get a colonoscopy? The doctor had, before this symptom today, suggested since my stools had got smaller, that I do the occult blood stool test, but I have trouble to do this; with the blood on the toilet paper today, would it make sense to skip that test and just do the colonscopy?