Gastroenterology Community
meat stuck for several hours
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

meat stuck for several hours

my husband has had some meat stuck and can't get it up or down.  He can't swallow water or anything.  Will it go down or should be get emergency help?
Tags: emergency
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If the food is jammed in the esophagus and won't go down I'd think that is an emergency situation. If it came back up from gas it could cut off his air way, and if he can't drink he will become dehydrated. I'd go to the ER.
Blank
You really need to see a doctor about this regardless of out come. Only eat soft foods until then. As some people get older (much older) their esophagus can narrow. It is correctable, not that hard. They inflate a balloon thing in there. My uncle had it done at 90 yrs old.

If this was just a mistake because someone didn't chew and swallowed it by mistake, it is still an ER visit if it is still suck after 1 minute because the esophagus can start to swell. I am only thinking of worst case situation, but anything stuck is not good.
Blank
Also sometimes it "feels" like it is still there and really is not. But in these cases people can drink water.
Blank
i think you'll find better answers at a different forum i'm pretty sure the people on this forum are concerned about gastroenterology anyway it doesn't matter. By the way the way bread and water are a big help if you know its still there after a couple of hours, start hitting his back in an un-painful way if possible because he might cough it up. Or doing a handstand works. Either way this is not a hospital situation the body can't leave with a piece of meat stuck in its throat it'll do something on its own
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...