Gastroenterology Community
mildly enlarged spleen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

mildly enlarged spleen

i had a ct a few weeks ago, for pain that i thought cou;d have been a reoccurance of diverticulitis, however the scan return a mildly enlarged spleen and the liver being within the high limits of normal. all labs drawn in may 2009 including LFT's were normal what could this be  SCARED TO DEATH.

This discussion is related to Mildly Enlarged Spleen but normal blood tests...Please help..Scared...
Tags: spleen
I have had enlarged spleen for 4 years now, 14cm on CT scan.  Here are a few causes, Liver disease, mono, cmv, hiv, lyphoma, leukemia, viral infection, Hepititis (hepatitis), iron and copper storage disease, heart failure.  Now that being said it could also be a normal variance.  How big is your spleen?  Are your blood counts off?  I have spent 15000.00 on medical testing to find the cause of my enlarged spleen only to get no answers.  My blood counts are normal, my lft's are normal.  My only symptom is a pain under my left rib that radiates to my back at times.  It is a very annoying pain and has caused depression problems for me.  I have seen 2 hematologist, & 2 gastroenterologist.  None have had the slightest idea.  I even had bone marrow byopsi to rule out luekemia.  If your spleen is mildly enlarged it is very unlikely to be cancer unless it is in the very early stages.  If your blood counts look good then most likely the doctors will pay it no mind and tell you to forget about it, easy for them to say as they are not the ones in pain.  So I pray u do not go through what I have and spend as much money as I have for nothing.  I have a CT once a year with fresh blood work just to make sure it is remaining stable.  Get a hiv and hep a, b, and c test just to rule that out and put your mind at ease.  Please let me know of any questions you have, as I have found very few people with enlarged spleens and normal labs to talk to, mabie we can help each other out.
hello, I had a liver biopsy one week ago and results were a fatty liver, all blood work normal(cbc and other test GI dr. ordered normal) but still have left side pain that comes and goes. my pcp told me that the spleen can enlarge for no reason sometimes. still worried and to top it off i have anxiety disorder on top of it. dont know wether to push to see a hemotologist or not. any suggestions appreciated
I was just told I have a mild enlarged spleen. I had two Ct scans in December I'm am scared that caused it. I also have trouble eating because I get this full meeting after a few bits. Lost whieght. Are you guys able to eat? How's your diet with a large spleen? I also don't know the cause but working on an answer.
Doctors found my spleen to be mildly enlarged early January. An enlarged spleen is a symptom of something else and the something else can be any number of things.
You will want to see your doctor and see what (s)he wants you to do. Odds are you will give blood and they will run a bunch of tests and start eliminating possibilities.
For me, my appetite has generally been fine but whatever you have could be effecting yours hence why I say to get to you dr and go from there