Gastroenterology Community
mucous and wet stools

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

mucous and wet stools

For about 2 weeks I've been having difficulty with bowel movements. At first I was having a watery bm in the morning and I would try to go again when I got home from work but it was just watery mucous.The morning bm has improved to just being loose.  Several years ago I was diagnosed with moderate to severe diverticulitis and my last colonoscopy 4 1/2 years ago showed no inflammation. I should also add as a teenager I was diagnosed with spastic colon which I think is the same as irritable bowel syndrome. I scheduled a colonoscopy within the next 2 weeks. Is there anyone out there who has the same symptoms. I'm a nervous person and I'm scared..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, if the loose stools are due to diverticulitis, there should be symptoms of abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting. But variations can happen and the loose stools could be due to diverticulitis. In Diverticulosis as the name implies, there are small diverticula or pouches which project through the defects in the lining of the intestines and so this could cause excess secretions into the lumen causing diarrhea. The other causes could be due to infections of the bowel like gastroenteritis and sometimes tumors of the bowel. The colonoscopy will help diagnose the cause. Good luck with the procedure. Regards.