Gastroenterology Community
mystery pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

mystery pain

I started having pains behind my ribs on both sides as wel as vomiting and severe lower back pain for a little over two years now. i have been to see several doctors on this matter  and have had blood tests, ultrasounds, and urine tests done. to date i am still having these pains. they last for several days and are in no way related to my monthly cycles.  i weigh 240 lbs and the only thing the doctors could find is fatty tissue in the liver. my question is, does this sound like anything medical that you have heard of and do you think a gastric bypass would help?

This discussion is related to pain on left rib,side and back.
Fatty liver is a medical condition, yes, and it can cause liver pain. The cause is obesity, it can also come from alcohol. Gastric baypass is done in far more heavy cases...

You should find a good doctor ( he can be nutritionist) and start with appropriate diet (low-fat diet at least).

Pain may also be from gallbladder, pancreas or stomach, in these cases pain would be worse after the meal. Ultrasound is not very accurate to find this. For gallbladder there is a HIDA scan, for the stomach it is gastroscopy, but you should start with the diet, I guess.
Hi, I have been scanning the Gastroenterology list so that I can help people with my symptoms. I have listed my aches and pains and had 2 very nice ladies respond. I think my symptoms are similar to yours, and you need to do something about it before it gets as far as mine has. Please!!
   Read through mine and take the advice of the two women who have answered me, and then you'll be prepared to go to your doctor armed with intelligent questions and a better understanding of what's going on.
   PLEASE don't let it go for years like I did.
Blessings and be well,
Joanne
This is where the problems are coming in, i have been on a very healthy diet for the past two years since right after i had my daughter. i have been to nutritionist after nutritionist and doctor after doctor. i exercise very regularly. i go on power walks everyday, three times a day. i do and hour of aerobics and an hour of pillates 5 times a week. i eat healthy, do not smoke or drink either so please help me out here. i weigh 240 lbs and eat healthy, workout, no smoking or drinking and still nothing. no weight loss, and the pain gets so bad i am awakened most nights in agonizing pain that lasts hours and hours and sometimes days and no amount of tylenol, motrin, aleve, advil or any other pain med that i have tried will help, however it comes unexpectedly and lasts a few days and is in NO relation to my monthly cycles. so please you now have all the info that i have and that my doctors have. if there is anything in there you can find im all ears. i have no family history of anyone with these symptoms, no family history of diabetes and im not diabetic, no heart problems, none of that. when i have this pain it feels like someone is crushing my ribs and it hurts so bad that even warm baths cant soothe it. i've tried everything i can think of and now the gastric bypass is my last option. i cant keep going day after day not knowing when it is going to hit and then the moment i am at my daughters ballet recital or cheerleading game and it hits so bad i have to let her down and miss the rest. i just cant do it. i cant keep letting my kids see me in this pain. so if there is someone somewhere that knows what else i can do or if they think the gastric bypass might sound like my best option please let me know.
Have you had a gallbladder ultrasound and a HIDA scan with CCK injection done?  Are you having any change in bowel habits? Do the attacks relate to anything (food group) you're eating? Have you had a liver and pancreatic enzyme levels test done, especially within 24 hours of the pain setting in?