Gastroenterology Community
no burping / gurgling in throat

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

no burping / gurgling in throat

I am 19 years old, female, healthy, normal eating habits, etc, but I do not burp. I've tried drinking soda, swallowing air, etc, and it just makes me feel uncomfortable but doesn't make me burp. Instead, my throat gurgles. The best way to describe the sound is like a stomach growling, only in the throat. It's incredibly embarrassing and I can't prevent it from happening. It tends to happen a lot after I drink juice or soda, but also sometimes after meals where I only drank water. Along with the gurgle I feel some light pressure in my lower throat, near my collarbone, like there's air trying to get out (no pain). The pressure is momentarily relieved after I "gurgle", but then it comes back and I need to "gurgle" again.

I have met one or two other people who experience the same thing, including my sister, and seen other complaints online, but have found no explanation for why this happens, or how to prevent it. Any help?

I very rarely throw up either (only once in the past 8 years), I don't know if that's connected at all but I thought I should mention it.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I am experiencing the same exact thing as you, with additional symptoms.  Doctors cannot figure out what it is, my throat always croaks, as if air is trying to escape, chugging a hot 7-up used to make me belch and relieve the symptom, but it's not working anymore.  While I was at the ER, I drank a small cup of water, just sitting there, my throat started croaking (gurgling), the ER doc was baffled.

I also have an enlarged thyroid, which may be trapping air in my throat.      

But I know exactly how you feel, and hope we both get an answer and some comfort.  Sorry, I didn't have an answer for you.      
I experience the exact same thing. My throat also croaks, with the slight amount of pressure in the bottom. It will happen multiple times in a short amount of time. It is definitely imbarrasing. My family and boyfriend sometimes laugh about it, but usually just ignore it as they have gotten used to it. Strangers, however, look at me quite funny. I, also, have no answer... but if you find one, PLEASE share on here:)
I have been diagnosed with LPR. I also have gurgling noises and the feeling of something stuck in my throat, like mucus.  I have taken several prescribed medicines from the ENT, nothing helps.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!
You are the first one I've seen who has the same symptoms as me.  I've had all kinds of tests (going for a CT scan next week) and they can't find anything wrong. I did have a thyroid nodule that was removed but didn't help the lump feeling.   I also have the gurgling.   I have post nasal drip and was put on Zyrtec which seemed to help some with the lump in the throat thing but now I feel like I'm swallowing air all the time.  I wonder if the Zyrtec dried out the sinuses so now I don't have to swallow as much and am not used to it yet.  Since the Zyrtec I've also stopped clearing my throat all the time.  
I am a 16 years old male and i have experienced terribly annoying throat gurgling sounds in my throat after i've eaten or drunk anything for a while. These sounds tend to disappear if i lie on my back, but that is the only way i know how to suppress the gurgling (and lying on your back after eaing isn't going to help digestion for starters). I also experience bloating and the sensation of there being something stuck in my throat or behind my breastbone after eating or drinking. Any suggestions would be extremely welcome, especially for the throat gurgling, which is extremely embarrasing and ruins my concentration.
I have EXACTLY the same thing.  It does help me to lay down, but it is very embarrassing.  My boyfriend makes fun of me all the time, which doesn't really bother me.  What really irritates me is that I like to drink beer (socially) and if I have more than one or two, the burping lasts all night.  It seems especially bad with beer, but I don't really drink soda.  I have never asked a doctor, but I am working on trying to figure this out.  I've had it my whole life and there's only been one other person I know who has this.  Also like you, I don't throw up often, and I try to keep it that way (once in the past 11 years).
DOES THIS NOISE WAKE ANYONE AT NIGHT AND CAN YOU HERE IT WHEN YOU WALK. I HAD A 24 HOUR PH TEST AND DOC SAYS IT'S NOT ACID I HAVE HAD THIS NOW FOR 2 YRS BURPS DON'T HELP AT ALL    JUST LOOKING FOR ANSWERS
I just started noticeing it in the middle of the nite...when im laying flat after a few gulps of water...a delayed....gurgle...
i never noticed it during the day...what is IT??
Same problem. I have had it for a while. It tends to start after drinking, but sometimes after a meal. It will usually last for a couple of hours. I have also never been able to burp. If I lay on my back, it will go away for the most part. What is REALLY strange is that if I lay on my left side, it continues but if I switch to my right, it goes away. I also drink a lot of milk so I am not sure if that has something to do with it.

This is really embarrassing and would love to have a diagnosis for it!
Same here, same symtoms (symptoms)
Ive been through all sorts of tests as well
Im on Nexium for Reflux, but i dont actually thing i have reflux after reading these posts, im the one who implied i had it
And it doesnt actually stop the croaking and gurgling...

I also had a Urea Breath test and was positive to H. pylori which has now been treated but could be a cause

Lets hope someone finds a diagnosis
Another update,

The Doc sent me for a Barium Swallow to check for a pharingeal pouch which could be causing the problem, they didnt find one, but they did find a mucosal protubence, whatever that means.

Back to the Doc tommorow to find out what that is...

I started to get these symptons after a cold, this is my 4th month with these symptoms..gurgling/croaking noise coming up from the mid chest area, feeling like something is stuck in my throat, slightly to the right side of throat more so than the left, at first I had slight heartburn in the first month of the symptoms, but now just all the other symptoms.  I've taken coffee right out of my diet, and I'm trying nexium as well, but don't think I really have reflux, it's just really weird, I think it's hard to not think about it, because you're constantly wishing it will go away!

Well the Barium was all clear and the protuberence is nothing to worry about, i am going for a endoscopy this week.
Im off the nexium, and i now do get a litlle reflux feeling, which i never did get

I had the feeling of something stuck in my throad as well for the last few weeks, its now gone away, but doc said it sounded like Cricopharyngeal Spasm and related to stress
I too have had these throat noises all my life.  I believe my sister sometimes gets them, but I am not sure if as often.  I am so used to it I rarely notice it anymore, however, people who sit near me in class say that it is quite obvious.  I have had a few instances where I felt the pressure in my chest, as though food was not passing from my esophagus into my stomach and have wondered if it might be a diverticulum or alachlasia (?sp).  I have a history of intestine problems (a floppy intestine that was resected) and  I can't help but wonder with my history if it might also relate to my esophagus.  I am just getting over a cold and the throat gurgling has gotten way worse in the last couple days - to the point where I cannot ignore it.  If it keeps up I might try my luck at the university hospital and see if anyone will investigate it.  I'm so glad to have found this forum with others who are in the same position.  I look forward to hearing what others find out.
I've had the same issue my whole life, but lately it has gotten worse and caused the lump in throat feeling because I'm incredibly stressed.  I went to an ENT who diagnosed it as LPR.  He gave me samples of Aciphex, which I took 30 minutes before eating a meal, twice a day (usually lunch and dinner).  The timing is important, so much so that he told me to just skip it if it was less than 30 minutes before I remembered.  Within a week this helped completely.  My body has gotten so used to forcing up the air bubbles that I do it naturally now, and with this medicine, I had no air to force up.  The lump feeling also went away completely.  I haven't taken the medicine for a while because I ran out of the free samples, so it came back...booo.

It's important to note that LPR is different than GERD and has to be treated a little differently.  Whereas one pill a day is sufficient for GERD and heartburn, LPR is a harder problem to fix because the acid is getting further up the esophagus.  The throat lump feeling is from the acid irritating your throat, and, like my doctor said, "It wasn't caused overnight so it won't be healed overnight."  

Hope this helps someone.
I have had this as long as I can remember. Sometimes it gets so annoying and frequent it brings me to tears. As far as I can remember, I have not been able to burp. Granted I don't drink beer or soda, but I have had numerous people try to teach me, etc. and I just can't. It was funny when I was a kid, and I always figured the gurgles had something to do with the way normal people burped air, but it is becoming increasingly problematic. I also experience occasional hiccups which are extremely loud and painful, and while I went for years and years with frequent nausea but never able to vomit, I am now going through my first pregnancy and the morning sickness has made me really sick. I have found, however, that vomiting is very difficult, as though it gets stuck in my throat. This has caused extreme pain and the force of the vomit trying to get out has caused severe retching, coughing/sneezing, pain, and even loss of bladder control several times. I am worried I am at risk for bursting or tearing my esophagus when this happens.

From what I have found, this is being researched by a doctor in Chicago and has been identified as "Dysfunction of the Belch Reflex." Basically, the valve/sphincter in one's upper esophagus doesn't relax like it is supposed to- it relaxes to let things IN when you for example drink a glass of water, but does not relax to allow air out, which is why the gurgles happen- this should stimulate the valve to open and release the air but it doesn't so it is trapped, constantly trying to get out. They have recommended Baclofen, a mucsle relaxant, to try to help, but I don't know that there are any online reports of its use for this. I know one girl blogged extensively about her experience- she had a case which may be more severe or complicated than many of ours, as it was interfering with her ability to breathe when she had these attacks, but she traveled to Chicago to see this doctor and the tests they did found that in her case, she had a lack of proper response/relaxation in the valve mentioned in the upper esophagus, but also too much relaxation in the lower part, so for her a relaxant would have worsened the abnormality in the lower part of the esophagus and caused complications. That said, she had additional symptoms not described by many of the reports I have read so it is possible Baclofen could still work in some cases, or perhaps they could invent a device which manually opens the esophagus and lets the air escape?

Of course if they could address the root cause of the valve/sphincter malfunction it would be ideal but it sounds like it is controlled by the vagus nerve which is pretty complex, no idea how they would fix a malfunction of a nerve with such vast and different functions. In addition it seems like this may be something that occurs before birth or at least at a very young age, as it doesn't seem to just happen one day, it seems to have been ongoing for those who have it.

That all said, my research (which I just began searching online several days ago, I'm no expert) has found very little progress other than the burgeoning awareness that there are others out there with this and that it is a real gastrointestinal condition/problem. This doctor (I'll find his name and post) did a research study years ago, and also consults individual patients (I think the gal I mentioned had her testing done as part of ongoing research) but I can't find anything more general that would help those of us still suffering with this to get help, except maybe to print some of this out and bring it to our doctors, or try to contact this Chicago physician directly?

I know one thing many people posted that helps them is to stick their fingers down their throat and expel the air manually. They said it is uncomfortable and makes a very loud retching sound but is the only way they have found to get relief. I tried this for the first time today, it actually did work. I have never made myself throw up, but I think it would be the same concept, stick two fingers in your throat and kind of push in/down/back. You will gag first, and it will not be too pleasant, I was sure I'd just throw up, but surprisingly enough it produced a huge release of air. I think it is easier to do it when you feel the gurgles in your throat and the air starting to rise, that way you are kind of working with your natural reflex.. I know this is gross, and not a good long term solution, but for those of us who have this occurrence frequently, even while avoiding soda, beer, etc., it is good to know there is an option. Especially if this problem is causing other problems such as bloating and nausea, or interfering with your life, it does help to be able to just get the air out once and for all. I mean, I was starting to feel it really bad, feeling really bloated and nauseous (obviously some of that is because I am pregnant lol but even so, it's been an ongoing issue for me), I'd just drank a glass of water and the gurgles were coming like every ten seconds, which can sometimes go on for an hour or more, so after I did the fingers thing it was gone! It's by no means "the answer," I'd feel much more comfortable being able to correct the problem (or not having it in the first place, but oh well). I hope this helps out at least some, the internet is such a great tool since it allows people to network over things like this, little known medical issues, and seek solutions.. Best of luck..

The doc's name is Peter Kahrilas in Chicago, Illinois.
The girl who had the tests done is Julie, her myspace page is here, and her blog entries explain a lot about the condition and the tests she had done in Chicago:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=352997835
Wow, I can't believe other people have this condition like I do. Like everyone else....I have had this condition all my life. I like many others have never really been sick to my stomach. I think the last time I vomited was 20 years ago.

I usually get the gurgles after I drink water or soda. I am so use to it, that I just live with it. But it does get pretty bad on occasion, where it is very hard to breathe and swallowing is a little more difficult.

Like someone mentioned earlier, the only solution I have come up with is to lay on my back and after 10 minutes or so I am fine.

Maybe one day this will go away, but probably not?
I've had this my whole life, and at 38 thought I was a lone weirdo till I met my next door neighbor, a 27 year old who also suffers. We were so happy to meet someone else. I went throught the whole Barium thing. Was told irritable bowel, which I also exhibit some symtoms (symptoms) of such as nausea and painful abdominal cramps. The only relief she and I know of is to put a finger at the back of your throat and push down on the back of your tounge. The air expels, making a loud puking sound. In my drinking days it would get real bad at the club with the bubbling coming up my throat. Would go in the bathroom, wait to be alone, and hopefully masked by the loud music of the club, force myself to gag a few times till the pressure was released. Also, yes, lying on your left side at night makes it stop, on the right makes it worse.
I feel like this has taken over my life in the past 6 months.  Does anyone experience this gurgling when they swallow?  My throat feels like there is something in it and I constantly am swallowing.  I wonder if this is forcing too much air.  I also get the gurgling after food and drink at times.  I feel like I'm crazy and wonder if this is due a large part to stress.
I have had this condition and with all tests including upper GI scans, nothing was found - unusual.

I usually end up feeling like burping and feeling like I have to throw up after a while.  I use to eat ginger to stop my stomach from gassing up (thinking thats where it comes from).  It doesn't help.

I found the following to work:
1.  When you feel like that, you may be stressed or fatigued or plain ole tired.  - Get some horizontal rest even if you don't really sleep.  I lay down for about 30 minutes or more with eyes closed.
2.  I stop coffee or any other stimulant at that point and only take in water if I am thirsty.
3.  If you feel the gases in your throat, lay down horizontally and on your back.  Allow the gas to go down or pass through.  Staying vertical can make it worse.
4.  Get a good nights sleep.  Early as possible.  8 hours worth is good.
5.  If you are having sex or doing stressful things before sleeping, make sure you get some extra sleep.  But wind down before sleeping.  Cool off!  Take in some water and fruits.  Refresh yourself.  Only take in a little not too much food.
6.  Be careful of what you eat.  Food allergies, stuff your system doesn't digest well, and/or acidic foods are bad.
I have had the gurgling and food coming up every now and then and the lump in the throat for the last 6 months now.

Has anyone tried Propulsid? I am considering taking it.

I think propulsid was taken of the US market.

I have the same problem and it is so annoying. I really wish there was more information and treatment. I asked my doctor, and like many of you have dealt with, while she found it very interesting, she had absolutley no advice or knowledge about it.
Just to let everyone know:

A dedicated website is being set up to raise awareness and support people with this condition.  Until recently, there was no central place on the internet to discuss this issue.

The new site, ****.***, is now being constructed, but the discussion board is now up and running:

COMMUNITY: http://****.***
MAIN SITE: http://****.***

Please take time to visit, as we are hoping to help consolidate discussion of this condition so that information about it can be more easily accessed, searched, and readily available.

Thanks!
Wow, this is exactly what I have... it took me a ton of googling to find it. It's been kind of an embarrassing condition for me. It was almost always paired with uncomfortable bloating and a light appetite. My ex-girlfriend said she almost broke up with me on the 3rd date when she heard it, and at one point, I did finally burp at a bar with her and her friend after I drank like 2 beers. I was seriously extremely naueasous beforehand and it was the loudest and most scary burp my ex had ever heard... it literally silenced the bar. I went to the bathroom and was still felt like throwing up for a few minutes. After that incident, she insisted I see a doctor.

I told the doc my symptoms, although as Murphy's Law would expect, I couldn't demonstrate the sounds. I did, however, tell him, "I can count on my hands how many times I've burped in my life."

After some blood work, the doctor diagnosed me with H.Pylori and gave me all the treatment I needed to remove it. The good news was the frequent bloating was gone, but the gurgling remained! Now I have a new girlfriend and she is just as turned off by the sounds.

It seems to worsen after I have fluids of any kind, and it doesn't have to be carbonated. It also seems to come with stress or nervousness. I'm glad the doctor at least treated me for something so it wasn't a total loss (H.Pylori can lead to stomach cancer later in life), but this problem is impacting my social life.

I'm glad I've found other people who have had it and a possible diagnosis. I just wish there was an easy fix for it. It sounds like there's nothing I can really do about my diet or even how to treat it without feeling bulemic by going to the bathroom afterwards.

I'm sure, since it's really all about burping, medication that could solve excessive burping could also treat this condition? Anyone have ideas?
Hello everyone, I am a medical student and know a few people with the same symptoms that most of you are talking about. They have been given various diagnoses and tests but have not been given a solid answer. I did some research prompted by a comment above referencing "Dysfunction of the belch reflex", I have read an article giving a case report of a 25yr old female with inability to belch. To summarize, the normal relfex mechanism of the upper esophageal sphinchter (UES) is to relax when distended by a large amount of gas. For this girl, and probably most of you, this did not take place. The gurgling that was heard and felt by the patient was the result of a secondary peristalsis of the esophagus and subsequent gaseous reflux. Basically the air could not escape past the UES, and went through cycles of peristalsis and reflux. The only thing that relieved the gas was laying down or placing a nasogastric tube through the constricted UES to allow air to pass upward. Laying down seems to constrict the lower esophageal sphincter, and pass the gas retrograde through the GI system instead of back to the esophagus. Unfortunately medication did not give this girl her desired response as well as induced several unwanted side effects. Medication to try would be calcium blockers, sedatives, muscle relaxants, and others. Treatment for this condition, at least that I found, included surgical stretching the UES and surrounding muscles to allow relaxation, or endoscopic botulinum toxin (botox) injection, which last for a few months. The problem lies in the innervation of the UES and its wiring to the brain, somewhere along the line there is a dysfunction, and nothing that I know of can directly treat that. I would suggest using all means to eliminate gas production, although I am sure you probably all have. Also bring this information to your doctors, tell them about dysfunction of the belch reflex and let them research it on their own. Most of all know that there are others out there and you are not crazy. I am looking for answers that might be better than the ones given and I will let you know if I find anything else, but talk to your doctors, see a gastroenterologist because an underlying syndrome might be present, (lactose intolerance, food allergy, gastric reflux, etc.).
wow! I thought it was just me, I get laughed at for it by my family and friends so much, found out yesterday that it happens to my cousin too! Think I can only remember burping about 4 times in my life and havn't been sick for years! I also get huge random hiccups that really hurt, but only one or two at a time, do you think this could be linked?! xx
I also cannot burp. I have never been able to. I get the gurgling, and it's just about constant now. Nothing makes it better. Beer certainly makes it worse. I love beer, but I can't drink more than one now without feeling completely sick.
I get this pressure in my chest, and nothing happens. Finally, I can feel the air coming up, and then it stops, and instead of getting a burp, I get that silly gurgling.
This is especially difficult for me, because I am a massage therapist, and spend a lot of time in a quiet room alone with clients, and the noise is very distracting and extremely embarrassing.
As mentioned, it's pretty much constant now. I go all day everyday with this noise in my throat, and I also get very gassy...which, when you can't burp can only be relieved one other way - which is also quite embarrassing.
I too have this problem, with a twist. While eating ANYTHING, if I don't stop to allow for the throat gurgling (which is letting air through) I can't take another bite without almost strangling on the food. So I take tiny bites of food and chew it to a pulp, wait for the gurgle, then continue to the next tiny bite. I never get to eat a hot meal all the way through, always cold by the end. Can't eat meat, or bread or anything dry like that. Air can't get through, and it's like swallowing wet cement. I know, no one has mentioned an issue like this. Hoping by putting it out there, someone might know something.
I was just wondering if you had any luck with your LPR and gurgling noises.  Mine is no better and it is driving me crazy! My gurgling sounds are getting worse and the lump feeling in my throat is out of control!! It is always there except for in the morning when I first get up.  Let me know if you found any tricks that might help!
I am so glad to find this page and to see others with the same symptoms as me.  I had an endoscopy the other month, and I also have a "hiatus hernia" in my stomach - no idea if that is linked to my condition or not but thought it worth mentioning.  Apart from that I have broadly the same problems as the rest of you
David :)
So glad that I found this page too, I'm 20 and I've been putting up with this for years =[ The gurgling is nearly always constant, especially just after drinking something. Im at uni and alcohol is the worse thing for it and is totally ruining my nights, because, lets face it, lying down in a club for 20 minutes is not going to happen! I too have only thrown up once in 8 years and have the chest pains and cant burp, I also swallow REALLY loudly. Went to my doctors and was diagnosed as asthmatic, lol! I started to think I was the only person who was experiencing this and am relieved I'm not. Going to make an appointment with my doctor this week and show them this thread and hope that I get a bit further than being given a ridiculous diagnosis!!
wow im not alone! as i read this forum i am making this growling noise in my throat. my husband thought it was cute, i even gave it a pet name, but it seems to be getting worse and now its just getting on my husbands nerves and mine. it's very embarassing and i dont know how to stop it! I too never burp, this has to be one of the reasons why it happens as alot people are saying the same thing. i find it is worse after i eat, but i only drink water not soda of anything fizzy. My thoery was that it may be sugars or carbs. anybody else think it might be that? i was considering going to the doctor this week for the first time to ask about it, even though ive had it a long as i can remember i am getting sick of it now. Is there any point going tho, as it seems that no one actually knows what it is or how to cure it.
Greetings & thank you for sharing your experiences.

If you believe it this or not, or whether you know it or not, the Earth & its Energy here are changing. And we are changing too. Different people are affected in different ways and this is one of the changes that some of us are experiencing.

I have been croaking/burping/gurgling over 3 years now, and there is nothing that doctors can do to stop it. You can’t control it either. Like breathing, it happens and you just do it.

Your body knows what it is doing & does not consult you about taking a breath or a heart beat: can you imagine how busy you are internally? It is not confused or seeking to harm you. Our inability to explain this phenomena on the spot does not automatically makes it bad & need not require all means to fight it, or to numb it.

You can assist your wonderful body in this process, and it will appreciate it. How? Relax! Drink lots of water - it helps to remove toxins;  eat nutritious food;  try body massages/natural therapies;  breathing & physical exercises. All the usual boring healthy stuff, but if you are already doing that, then be thankful you cope as you do.
Because, if you don’t take care, it’s a lot worse.

Doing various experiments with your body: stuffing it with medications etc – puts extra stress & extra clearing work on your body’s intelligence. Your awesome body is a loyal hard working friend, bearing all abuses & insults from its owner. That’s the way many of us express their ‘gratitude’ to it.

Do not resist the changes. Make observations of your changes (journal?) to see the difference that occurs when you take greater care of yourself.

I am a professional & I find it interesting that I don’t burp when there are other people in the office…usually. So, it seems my Body has learnt not to embarrass me too much? Of course it ignores my wife’s presence and I go “burp crazy”. And the night is a great opportunity to burp so we are sleeping in separate rooms. I am lucky that my wife is generally understanding and patient.

Explain if possible to your loved ones & ask for their patience. Keep in mind it may not be easy… And it can happen to them too, and according to your own blogs, it does.

Be mindful that in process of energetic release (via burping, gurgling or anything else) you may feel emotional sometimes – become aware of it, observe it. Try to  control your drama’s. It may be better not to make serious decisions at that time, do that later, in a clear, peaceful state of mind.

And now you know what is happening to you, to all of us.  And you may not necessarily require a medical degree to know it, all you need is an awareness. Listen your own body. Get fed up, angry, embarrassed, whatever…..But listen to your body….It’s changing and we have to change with it.

Trust yourself. Love yourself. Know that it WILL stop one day, just like it started.
Vlad-i
I am 17 years old and get made fun of all the time by my friends. High school is a super hard and potentially mean place to have embaressing problems. This one is ESPECIALLY embaressing, frustrating, and confusing. Mine is a huge problem because it might happen, it might not. During tests it has happened alot or during reading silently in the classroom. I try everything to make it stop because it sounds completly rude but there is no way for me to stop it! My earlier memories of not being able to burp has been 6th grade which was almost 5 years ago. My friend taught me step by step how to burp and i could not for the life of me, do it. I didnt understand why no matter how hard i tried, i could not burp but when i ate or drank anything, out comes these little bursts that sound just like iim burping but go on FOREVER! It was really funny for me to read all of these comments because like all of you i really thought i was the only one who had this. Hiccups are the WORST for me. Every one knows that when i have hiccups, they are usually around for about an hour or so...or when i get rid of them, they are back 30-40 minutes later. I am making the little gurgling sounds now and it is wierd to think that my esophagus is not allowing air to come out, that its not relaxed. The ironic thing is that we are learning about Anatomy in bio and i am really curious to hear what my bio teacher has to say about it. Thank you so much for all the blogs, without them, i/many others would never know that we are not alone. Thank you also to the people informing us on the "dysfunction of belch reflux" study. It is really interesting to hear the story and how its going. I just feel sorry for that poor girl.

Thanks again!!!
I'm 30 years older than you are and also have had this problem for as long as I remember.  And yes, I was also embarrassed by it in high school and continue to be to this day!  My loved ones are patient with me, though, but I get teased when it gets really loud (which it often does).  In fact, it seems to be getting worse and more uncomfortable lately.  This forum is the first thing I have ever found that has at least given me hope that I'm not alone in this.  Maybe soon we can all find some relief and some peace and quiet! :)  Hang in there!
I'm 34 and I've experienced this as long as I can remember. I can't voluntarily burp, although occasionally (about once every few months) a random burp will escape when all my gastrointestinal stars align, like a hiccup/gurgle. Mine isn't too bad, since I rarely experience pain unless I'm really forcing the air out repeatedly. But the sound is annoying and can be embarrassing. I also get loud, painful hiccups occasionally, only two or three at a time. I recently discovered that I'm lactose-intolerant and cutting out dairy helped relieve a host of problems, but not this gurgling one. I'd never tried the laying down idea, so I'll definitely give that one a try. Thanks everyone, and here's to hoping we find a better solution soon!
I'm so glad I found you guys! Like a lot of you, I've had this condition since childhood (I'm 46) and thought I was the only one. Mine also seems to be getting a lot worse lately. My mom used to talk about having "throat growls" but she laughed it off- I don't think hers were very bad. I never, ever burped until I got pregnant at age 24. I've been burping ever since, but can't do it voluntarily. When I was a child, I had what I used to call "volcanoes" because they would come on suddenly, like a volcano erupting. These were like a big hiccup and sudden sucking in of air, but usually silent, without a "hic" sound.  I still have those, I do burp, sometimes quite frequently even, and my son gets mad and insists I'm doing it on purpose. But the throat growls are the worst! I found they get worse after eating chocolate or peppermint, or drinking anything, including water, tea, or sodas. I'm on Ranitidine twice daily, recently having switched from Avelide, both for heartburn, but neither one helps. In the past, I've also been on Nexium, which didn't help. When I get these episodes (which is almost constant anymore!) I usually also have a burning sensation in my throat, and sometimes acid comes up to where I taste it, and that is NOT pleasant! I'm going to have to see my doctor again, and reading all these posts have really helped me realize that my problem may not be heartburn, as I've always thought, but something else entirely! So I'm curious as to what she may recommend. Like so many of you, the only relief I can get from this is by lying down- back, front, sides- it doesn't matter. I do have occasional episodes during the night, usually if I've eaten close to bedtime, where the acid comes up and actually chokes me and I wake up in a coughing fit. Fortunately, those don't happen too often as they are most unpleasant! Lastly, as I mentioned before, it seems to be getting worse lately, and I now have episodes of dull pain in the pit of my stomach, or just feel really nauseas. I used to get the awful lumps in my throat and was convinced I was dying, but my doctor at the time, plus a friend in the medical field, plus my therapist at the time all assured me that part of it was due solely to STRESS. I accepted that, learned to deal with it through my therapist, and lo and behold, that symptom has been gone for years! So maybe there's a bit of encouraging news for some of you.
Here's hoping someone will find a cure for this annoying and disruptive problem soon!!
Well, I'm not alone.  I am 54, and this problem seems to be worse than ever.  I also took "burping lessons" form a friend when I was in Jr. High, bought a big bottle of Dad's root beer and was given detailed instructions on how to make those great big juicy burps that I so envied, but nothing happened for me.  Do any of you have problems with hiccups?  I almost always get the hiccups after a meal, sometimes just a few, but almost always.  If I am having the gurgles and go to bed and lay on my left side I can feel the bubbles come up my esophagus in a regular repeated pattern, one after the other.  Laying on my right side they go away.  I do have some heartburn now that I am older,  Will try the fingers down the throat treatment, although geez, how unpleasant is that?  Will watch to see if there is something else that comes across.  I too am averse to medication, but don't want to burn up my esophagus either.  Bubblers of the World Unite!
I'm 44 and also had this condition since childhood. (yes also a member of the 'trying to burp with the help of a school friend' club). Most painful when going on a night out drinking/eating.. Half way through the night, I get breathing problems where it's hard to expel air.(Just keep having to take little short intakes of breathe). Feel like there is a balloon being blown up in the centre of my rib cage. Very uncomfortable. I always knew when I was in for a problem when I started painful hiccupping. Had to just lie down for hours before I went to sleep.

Just for the record, I am hardly ever physically sick. I think this is because when I am it creates a severe retching which you can hear for miles! Leaves me with a terrible sore throat.

Only been to the doctors approx 8 years ago where they diagnosed me with IBS. Never thought that was correct. This for me can be very frustrating.. but obviously for some people it can be severe enough to affect their quality of life.

I hope there's some comfort in knowing that it seems more common than first thought. This might help Doctors to invest more time into the problem.

Wish you all well!
Hi, everyone. I am Denis from eastern europe, also an medical student,22yrs and i am desperate cause of those symptoms you ve mentioned, especially because i am feeling terrible breathing problems which i cant explain by words but also i feel those gastro-problems wihch you ve explained. It started 5 years ago and I thought it was due only to my lungs. I simply couldnt breathe enough, i had this "shortness of breath". I thought it was asthma or something and i was sure that those sounds were cominh from my lungs. So it lasted for years, i told it couple of times to my parents ( my father is a doctor) so i ve done breathing tests, it was all ok, and everyone were saying that i am stressed. I was studying medicine for 5 years now and i still don get what it is. I ve passed exams of internal medicine, patology, infectiology, pathofisiology and many others but i couldnt figure it out. Last 1 year i realized that my gastro-problem could affect my breathing and than my symptoms had more sense.
Symptoms are:

1. pretty noisy gurgling/crackling/croaking/bubbling or whatever sound in throat
   - i cant figure what potent it but i think that coffee, cola and alcohol make it worse for sure, but even when i quit those stuff it is still happening, so obviously some other food and drink has a role or even it doesnt depend on what i eat...?

2. i never burp, maybe few times in my life spontanesly.and for last 5-8 years i didnt throw up for sure
3. often bloating and gassy
4. but dont feel heartburn,almost never, dont cough, no any pain
5. those throat sound get worse when i sit and lean forward,strange,has anyone noticed that? so i almost always can induce that sound.(i sit, lean, completely exhale, swallow my saliva and than just contract my abdominal muscles and it feels like i pressed my stomach full of air and it goes up and stops in the level of jugular area making this sound)
6. sometimes my neck feels tight and swolen, i d say that my sternocleidomastoideus muscles are tensed

But different from you all, i feel terrible breathing problems and i would give anything if my only problem could be embarassing throat sound:-(

1. shortness of breath
2. Cant inhale quick, ( like cant sniff)
3. feel like my diaphragm is compromised by full stomach so it doesnt move regularly??
4.it doesnt affect my aerob functions, i can run, i dont get weak very fast, but it makes me depressed, anxious- Oxigen blood level, spirometry, lung xray were normal...

i feel symptoms constantly, but sometimes it is easier to stand and sometimes it is horrible, i get panic attacks( the worst feeling you man can experience), even my medical education doesnt help me to prevent it. i know that i am not dying but i simply feel that my breathing isnt fine. I wake up with this feeling, and go sleep too. You cant imagine how it is when you have almost in every moment think on your breathing.
Now, it seems like i breath better if i dont swallow so often. I tink that swallowing cause some kind of oesophageal spasm cause sometimes i feel and hear my saliva is going down through oesophagus, especially when i lie in bed

I wonder does anyone else feel similar breathing problems? or it s psihological cause of my "not belch syndrome"? i dont know, i only know that i cant stand it anymore, i suffer so much... Also can someone put an video of this gurgling sound so we can compare to each other. i ll put mine as soon as I can.
Omgoodness.. I see im not alone! I have been experiencing this "throat growling" for almost 3yrs! I have seen several drs, to no avail! They act like theyve never heard of it! Even the gastroenterologist! Thats scary! So bless u all & this site 4 sharing ur experience to let us know that we're not crazy! Now if we can just find an answer, huh? I dont drink anything but bottled water, no pop, alcohol,juice,milk,etc.. My growling happens even swallowing my OWN SALIVA! So Ive SHOWN all the drs what exactly it sounds like. It happens EVERYTIME! Somedays worse than others, but its constant. I too have been diagnosed with IBS/CONSTIPATION many yrs ago. Im 45yrs old, & have had stomach problems my whole life. Its not abnormal 4 me to go 10-12days without having a BM(my whole life). The only way that I seem to be able to go to the bathroom, was when I was on my period,(sry guys).. then id go several times that day, or when Id get really nervous. As ive gotten older, that doesnt seem to happen anymore. If I get really nervous, it just causes alot of cramping, & twisting(knotting up), with very little results. Theyve tried to put me on different meds, but I dont take them, cuz they dont even know WHAT their treating! Plus I see from everyones comments on here, that has already took THOSE meds, IT DIDNT HELP ANYWAY, so where do we go from here? I want to fix the problems, not put a band-aid on it! I too, have never hardly been able to burp.. Thats y I CANT drink carbonated drinks. They just bloat me real bad & cause alot of pain! To those of u that may not have AS bad, Try Rolaids thruout the day..Or GAS-X. That helped me to burp in the beginning. But like with anything, that wears out too. And yes meat & bread make it worse, like the air bubbles get even more trapped. And to KORNATI.. Possibly the reason 4 ur "shortness of breath" is.. When u have this 'trapped air', It can cause pressure on ur diaphram, causing u to feel like ur short of breath. And yes it makes u totally aware of EACH BREATH. Have u ever tried breathing in a brown paper bag? I ask this cuz, when a person 'FEELS' like theyre short of breath, they tend to try to compensate by either tryin to take more breaths(faster) & trying to take deeper breaths, more often, & THAT causes ur carbon dioxide level to drop, caused by OVERBREATHING. Anxiety can cause this too tho, so its difficult to say. But I dont believe its ur lungs. I am speaking from experience. And yes I have panic attacks also, that is something that no dr can tell u how to get rid of. All they can do is prescribe sedatives or antidepressants! So do u take those and become an addict? I didnt. Ive been dealing with them my own way.. Kind of Mind over Matter thing. I had them pretty severe, where i was afraid to be left alone 4 any length of time. The "what if" thinking would take over. Sry to everyone else, kind of got off the subject for a minute, but wanted to address this issue to Kornati. And I think the more that we all tell abt certain issues abt ourself, maybe the better chance we have in finding solutions.        
I have the same problem and am so glad to finally read about this. I have never ever burped and I haven’t vomited in at least 15 years (I am 31 now). My body has tried to vomit a few times, but nothing came out. I also struggle with heartburn. Sometimes I get these hic-ups everyone is talking about.  My throat gurgles all day long, it doesn’t matter what time it is, sometimes louder sometimes less loud. The only way for my to suppress it is to only take very shallow, short breaths, but that isn’t easy to maintain. The deeper I inhale, the more powerful the sound. Same here, when lying on my left side it gets much worse, lying on my right makes it a bit better.

But the part that bothers me the most is the nausea that comes with it. It usually starts during the second half of the day and doesn’t go away until I awake the next morning. It is ruining my afternoons and evenings. Does anybody else experiences this nausea??? Then sometimes, I have phases of weeks or months, where I don’t get nauseous.

One very interesting observation though, is that the nausea does only happen only when I am in the office. On days where I have off and weekends, I don’t get nauseous. The gurgling remains, though.

For me, eating grapes has the worst effect.
I am so glad I found this, I thought I was crazy and all alone! I am 21 and have had this problem for 3 or 4 years now. I get the throat gurgles all the time, its the worst after I eat especially in the afternoons and nights and gets really bad if I drink alcohol. I too get very nauseous but never throw up, I havent thrown up for over 10 years and I also can count the number of times I have burped on one hand.

I saw a doctor who said it was acid reflux and put me on an acid blocker but that hasnt helped at all.  Sometimes I go a few days with out it, or the gurgling gets better for a week or two but it always  comes back. I have cut out all carbonated drinks which helps a little but this is driving me crazy, it gets very embarrassing in class or on dates. At the worst times it feels like there is a lump in my throat and pressure in my chest and I also get really painful hiccups sometimes, just one or two at a time.
Another Dr. said it was just stress and honestly I think he thought I was making it up because it wasnt happening while I was in his office which wasnt helpful! The one time I want the gurgles...

If anyone knows of anythign that actually works I would love to hear it! I am going to see another Dr this week so hopefully they will have something more helpful to say.

Well as an update to my previous post I had a consultation with a gastroenterologist earlier last month; and the ebst bit was he took me seriously and listened and whilst he didn't have an answer he was willing to try more tests.

In a month or so I will go back into hospital and they'll do an "impedence" test to measure the gases produced out of my stomach and see what that tells them.  I just hope it produces something useful.  If anything is found I'll post it here

I gave the Dr a link to this forum too and printed out some of the posts too as they were better phrased anything I could have said on my own!
It is great to know you're not alone.   I'm 39 and I've had what me and my wife call "the gurglies" for 7-10 years.   Like most contributors, I can count on my hands the number of burps in my lifetime.  When the gurgies first started, I associated them with beer.  However,  now I always have them when I lay down on my left side at night.  I try it every night by laying on my left side first when I go to bed, and the gurglies always come within a few minutes.  I never, ever have them when I lay on my right side, and switching to my right side will make them stop.   But, I tend to have worse acid reflux on my right side, and I can rarely lay on my stomach anymore without acid reflux.  

I will certainly keep track of this forum, and contribute anything I learn.  

Hi all,
Like most of you, it is so comforting to know that there are others like me out there, and that we are actively pursuing answers.
I would like to share how I handle my problems, but sadly, you might have heard it all before and none of these are cures.

First, my case, so you know whether you share my exact situation (I think there is a bit of variation, as with any disorder).
I am a 24yo Australian female. I have never been able to burp, but a wonderful farter. I get the same gurgling and bloating, pain in the chest and later in my gut as it moves down. I never hiccup and rarely throw up (although scotch helps with this no worries). The things that cause my gas problem include eating quickly, drinking too much water, drinking any carbonated drink, sucking on lollies, exercising while breathing through the mouth, car/bus travel, laughing hysterically. My problems started getting bad at the age of 14 when soft drink would bloat me so much that I could not stand up. I did my first burp in memory in 2004 (and immediately called everyone in my family to gloat!).

Since that day I have been 'learning to burp' and have had a degree of success. After no success, I eventually started coughing/vomiting up the gas. I don't use my fingers, more like a dry reach. I now have this down to a fine art, and although the rapid ejaculation of air is no pretty dainty sound (lucky I am no pretty dainty girl, huh), it offers immediate relief and means I never have to lie down in public. In the last 2 years I can bring up the vomit-burp easily most of the time and feel assured it will not be followed by anything unwanted. The amazing benefit of this is that I am now doing real burps daily!! They are still quite weak and totally uncontrolled, but the last 6 months have seen some stronger proper sounding burps! I have gone from 1-2 burps weak burps in 2004-2005 to 3-4 small/medium burps a day :) I used to have to lay down every night after dinner massaging the gas in my stomach to relieve the pain, now I rarely have to do this.

I just did a burp then!! It still sounds a bit weird and kind of hurts a little, but who cares?!

Anyway, some other things that really helped and continue to do so:  
- Wear loose fitting pants and shirts. 'Sucking it in' makes things infinitely worse.
- Maybe think about giving up milk and meat. It is difficult for most people to digest dairy and large amounts of meat and cause a lot of gas, so removing these from my diet immediately reduced my pain by about 70%.
- If you have to run anywhere, try to breath through the mouth. Sort of like you are doing yoga/pilates.
- Do not scull any liquid, no matter how hot you are. Sip slowly and be conscious of how much air you are taking in with each sip.
- Acquire a boy or girlfriend who will massage your belly when you feel bloated. It brings them into your world, and each fart becomes a celebration :)

I recently read that exercise, while initially painful, eventually prooves rewarding - someone wrote that after 6 months s/he can swim 50 laps and then eat with no painful gas production. I am trying this out. At the moment I am a size 18, about 30kg overweight because exercise 'jumbles me up' too much. I will post back intermittenly remarking on my progress. I am going to do walking and swimming (focusing on my pilates breathing).

Finally, if anyone knows a good gastro doctor in Qld Australia gimme a shout. As you all know, most doctors have NO IDEA. I even had one doctor say this:
Me: I can't burp. The gas won't come out and then it moves back the other way and seriously, I fart about 200 times a day.
Doctor: Oh cool! You know in medical school I read about a man who farted every 30 seconds. That is pretty cool.
                  *The end* (Roll eyes).

Good luck to everyone. Together we can suss this thing out! :)
Oops. I made a typo. If you have to run anywhere try NOT to breathe through the mouth! Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. Try not to gulp the air in greedily.
Thank GOODNESS for this thread! I just got up in the middle of the night to google "bubbling in the oesophagus" because I was getting so worried. Someone I know died recently of cancer of the oesophagus, and I remember him making some very strange noises from the throat before he was diagnosed.

However, I am now reassured, as you are all describing exactly my symptoms, including things I hadn't associated with it. I've also almost never burped, which I always thought was a good thing?! And I think I've been sick three times in my life that I can remember, two of them only slightly; the last time was 22 years ago. I always assumed it somehow came from being bullied at primary school the first time it happened and swallowing it so as not to be sick again; now I wonder whether maybe there's some other, physical reason.

For the last couple of years I've tended to get really extreme, painful stomach bloating, and I seem to fart far more than I used to (it's the only thing that, eventually, relieves the football stomach).

I have a bad cold that started today, so maybe that's related to the gurgling being bad tonight. I only really notice it at night. I first noticed it happening regularly several months ago, and it seems to be getting worse - goes on for a long time, repeated gurgles every few seconds for an hour or longer, slight sense of pressure and a lump in the throat. Otherwise no pain. Am trying Rennie antacid tablets for want of anything else, don't know whether it's helping.

It seems to be worse when I drink wine, but it also happens when I don't. Tonight I had the same feeling I occasionally get if I get very drunk: I'm never sick, but sometimes I have to rush to the bathroom and just hang over the basin spitting because I feel I can't bear to swallow my saliva.

Fortunately I haven't yet found the noise embarrassing, mainly perhaps because I'm on my own a lot so people don't usually hear it. I do lead a very stressful lifestyle, sleep irregular hours (work irregular shifts) often only a few hours at a time (it's been bad the last few days), don't eat regular meals etc. I was recently on holiday for two weeks, total break and relaxation, and I don't remember the gurgling happening there at all.

So even if no one know what it is or has a solution, I'm very glad to have found out it doesn't seem to be anything serious!
Just want to add my thankfulness for this thread- I was never able to find anything exactly like I experience, even after many Google searches, now I find a whole bunch of you describing it perfectly. I already feel a bit better just knowing I have company out there, but yes- it is incredibly embarrassing and I am so anxious for a cure, even if it's a medication I have to take the rest of my life. For me this gurgling is most noticeable when I get nervous- like a negative nervousness, not happy excitement. And it starts instantly, and becomes more incessant until I can remove myself from the situation. At work, this could be a presentation or even just a conversation with someone who intimidates me, and it gets so uncomfortable I am afraid to open my mouth to speak. So I know that for me, there's a definite connection between acid increase and the gurgling. I don't drink milk or eat meat, but I do eat gluten which I suspect would be a good thing to cut out..thanks everyone for sharing. It's an odd one.
I've been testing some of the theories posted on here. Yes, it is worse when I lie down on my left side or on my back, but quickly subsides if I lie on my right. (I only found out since posting on this thread that the stomach is on the left side! I always thought it was in the middle.)
And grapes make it worse for me too.
And it's definitely related to stress.
And although still not too loud, it seems to be happening for most of the day now.
But how to stop it? No answers there...
Hi  - New to this forum, but also have something akin to your problem.  I have constant "inner burps" after eating & they last all day.  That means I burp internally, but don't expel any air outside.  Tests have shown I have normal swallowing? Have had a Heller-Myotomy for the esoph. but the dr. just calls it aerophagia.  Have tried everything & nothing seems to work.  It is just like a burp, but it's internal in my throat.  Can anyone tell me something that is similar to their experience.
I have all the same symptoms now for 30 years.  It's getting really old (and embarrassing)!  I have terrible problems with air build up when I have a cold and I am coughing alot.  I had a chest xray once for possible pneumonia and doctor remarked about the esophagus being hugely dilated with air...  no help - just commented on it.  I hope someone finds a cure for all of us "gurglers"....  
I have these exact symptoms of all you guys....gurgling in throat/internal burp CONSTANTLY mostly after eating and drinking absolutely anything. I get nauseous before and after meals now too I can not burp and really wish I could! I have not had this all my life...I am 25 now and I swear it only started like around high school...alcohol (esp. beer and wine) SUPER intensify the gurgling. My mom said my grandfather has the same problem so maybe hereditary? My mom is a nurse and she has no idea what it is. It really depresses me to see that you guys say there is no cure yet so I think I will save myself a trip to the doctor. Hopefully they can find something to help with it soon because it is incredibly embarrassing and annoying!!!
I think I found a diagnosis for all this. I've had the exact same thing that all you guys are describing. I went to a doctor this past year and instead of disregarding it, he suggested some possible problems dealing with inflammation of the small inestine that causes air build up. He said that it is usually due to eating something your allergic to (but may not even realize it). I then tried going on a gluten-free diet (it seems random, I know) and it has been working SO well. I had no idea I was allergic to wheat but I've discovered that everytime I eat something with lots of gluten in it, my "noise" gets really bad. So I guess my gluten intolerance is what has been causing the inflammation. Who knew. But I would suggest trying it. Or at least some other possible allergen (I've discovered carmel coloring also causes it for me)
I too have this problem! Most of my friends think it is funny and it has never really bothered me that much. I find avoiding carbonated drinks allows me to control it. But sitting and leaning forward definetly brings it on.... I can't believe it is this common????  
what type of doctor did you see?
Finally! I'v found some people with the same thing!!!! I had this gurgling for about 6 months now, it started after I had hooping cough started about once a week and now almost every afternoon. Its nearly always starts after eating lunch and gets worse when I drink anything.
Seems to always happen when im in quite places like an exam or reading in class. I find it so embarassing! Got my GCSE exams coming up and dreading the ones in the afternoon cos the gurgling really stops me concentrating. I'm going to try some rennies for trapped gas and see if that helps, cos I don't want it to affect my marks.
I also feel sick after eating dairy products like yoghurt and cream so am wondering if I might be lactose intollerent and they could be linked???
Just great to know I'm not alone!!!
WOWWW
I can't beleive I've found this either (i know people keep saying this but i really can't cos i thought i was alone!)
I'm a 19 year old female and for as long as i can remember I've had the throat gurgling, however it did get even worse when I was about 14. If I drink anything fizzy or eat a heavy meal I will be constantly growling for like 3 hours after sometimes its ridiculously loud, like when we're watchin tv, everyone can hear it!! I even recorded it once an it was sooooo loud, sometimes (when ive eaten and drunk loads or I've had vast amounts of alcohol on a night out,) i have so much trapped air that its slightly difficult to breathe, it feels like my body is dying to let it all out in one giant burp but instead it lets it out in very loud slow growls - which rules out at staying at friends houses after because its embarrassing and it keeps them awake!!!
I was just wondering if anyone knows how to ease the sound of the gurgles?? I am at uni and don't eat or drink before lectures so that it doesn't happen, however if I am starving I'll have the most un-gassiest food like crisps to prevent gurgling. I have been in situtations before where I have had a can of coke before an exam and literally just gurgled the whole way through which made it hard to concentrate cos i was so paranoid that everyone could here! i would love to stay at friends houses after drinking or relax through exams but its very hard when u know that you can't control it! I've heard that lying down eases it!!

thanks everyone!
i'm a 15 year old girl, struggling with this same problem. it has got to be the most annoying thing ever watching my friends burp so naturally, while i cannot make myself burp to save my life. i literally read this entire thing hoping to find some sort of cure. i would do anything just to be able to burp like everyone else and stop these awful noises. i think it has something to do with some part of my throat not being able to relax enough to let air out. the growling noise is worse when i am tense, but i have found that i can silence it sometimes. i still have a problem expelling the air, which can be quite painful because i think it has to travel back down threw my stomach. however, i have found that if i sit up straight, completely relax my throat, tilt my head up slightly, and open my mouth about half way that i get this sort of internal burp instead of a gurgle. this can be helpful when im around people or in an embarrassing situation, and usually works for me. when i have the growl/gurgle noise feels like it travels up my throat and makes me feel sick. even though i literally havent thrown up in 10 years! when i tell people this they thing im super lucky, but honestly i have questioned trying to make myself throw up, just to see if it would some how trigger my burping reflex to start again. but im not sure about this because im too much of a baby to actually try the finger down the throat trick yet. good to know though, if i ever get really desperate.
thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with this problem, when i think about living everyday of my whole life with this i just want to die. i really really hope that we can raise awareness and find some sort of cure!
went to the doctor...he says its stress.....NO ITS NOT DUDE!! grrrr........
Woah, so glad to find this forum, luckily this is the first time i have searched as it was particularly bad today.

I had noticed it occasionally in my Mum but that's it, and i have it quite bad, very uncomfortable after i eat and i love food!! :P

I'm an 18yr old guy, athletic build and i figured it was eating too fast, and drinking to much water, but i have tested this out and no help.

It's starting to get sore and the lump in the throat is so so irritating! I'm freaking out that this is just a mystery!! If ANYONE gets any answers please share!
I can't believe SO MANY people have this besides me (and it even has a NAME, dysfunction of the belch reflex!!!). I'm an 18 year old girl, and I first started noticing the gurgling when I was in eighth grade or so. I don't think I've ever burped, and believe me I've tried. I get weird pressure just under my collarbone, and every time I inhale deeply a weird gurgle comes up with it. It's the weirdest thing. I asked my doctor, but he said it was probably nothing since as luck would have it I couldn't demonstrate. I notice it gets bad after I eat chocolate, or just a large quantity of food in general (same with alcohol, I start getting it after I drink a lot).

But you know what? I think I might have a cure. I'm not sure, but I've noticed that lately I don't have it much at all, and I'm pretty sure it's because I've all but given up dairy and meat products (eating lots of veggies, nuts, fruits), and I try not to overeat at meals in general. I've always been fairly thin, but always had a lot of meat and milk in my diet (a large quantity of milk makes it the WORST for me by the way), but giving it up made it basically stop. I know that sounds like HELL to most people, but honestly, it's worth it not to have people give me funny looks or laugh outright. This actually works.

You could say it's my inspiration for eating healthy. lol
I am 16 years old and yes i get it too. i never knew it was as common as it apparently is and it has got to be one of the most annoying and embarrassing things ever. However i have a lot of imperfections many others besides myself wouldn't even notice and i have learned to embrace every last thing about me because, there isn't much i can do about them. I used to let it stop me from doing things ( like staying the night at friends) but the more you let it get to you.. the more your going to notice it and its going to bother you. So just laugh it off and get over it. i used to be the most uptight boring person ever and since i stopped doing things according to if i had throat gurgles or any of the many other reasons i would avoid going or doing certain things i have never been more happy or had so much fun in my entire life. I know this whole speech doesnt have much to do with the main reason for this blog thing but, to those of you who said "its embarrassing" or "your boyfriend makes fun of you" or "you don't stay at friends houses" don't let it control anything about your life. I like to consider myself lucky because, i may have many imperfections others can't see and most of the time don't even notice but, other than stupid little things i am perfectly healthy and happy and thats all that matters to me. It could be much much worse.

p.s. My boyfriend happens to think its cute and we both look back and laugh about how i used to be embarrassed by it

p.s.s
i also found that the less i worry about it happening the less it actually happens. it might be from the muscles relaxing or what not but it actually does help a little. oh and I'm not entirely sure it helped much because i am horrible at remembering to take pills but my doctor told me simply taking acid reflex pills daily or before you eat meals could possibly help. i decided to just not take them at all though because it doesn't bother me anymore.
Here I was thinking I was alone! I also have all of this - hiccups, gurgles, no burps. I've had it for as long as I can remember, and I'm 13 years old (younger than most of you =P). For a while I thought it was normal, but then when it started getting loader and people bugged me about it, I realized I couldn't hear anyone else's throat ... gurgling, so I looked it up and I guess no one knows what it is yet, right? It's very embarrassing for me and it happens a lot at night and in the mornings. I hate it!
Ditto to everything above! I'm so happy to have found this website. It seems to be the ONLY place with any information...

I'd also like to point out that in addition to the gurgling problem, I also suffer from a constant runny nose and post-nasal drip. Do others on here have this problem? Perhaps they're related somehow?

And the last thing: After reading this thread, I tried the fingers-down-the-throat treatment. It's not too pleasant, it can't be done in a non-private bathroom, and it makes me feel like I have some kind of mental disorder, BUT it works. Just reach into your throat and depress the back of your tongue, and a burp will come out. I have to do it four or five times for it to help.

Anyway, please reply if you also have post nasal drip!
I too have this condition and have been to the doctor countless times in the last few months only to have spent a fortune on medication that doesnt work.

I get the same symptoms as most of you - inability to burp, neusea, bloating, gurgling, random hicupps etc and i find that again the only 2 ways to relieve it are lying down and resting or sticking my fingers down my throat to release the air.

However i have found some things that help
1) I avoid caffeine so all tea and coffee i drink is decaff this can be anoying when out but i have noticed a huge difference on days when i have it to days when i dont.
2) I also find that alcohol is the biggest cause of this and i either have to drink and relieve the air or simply not drink this can be hard as im a uni student but once you accept that you cant drink like all your friends it makes it alot easier.
3)finally acidic and sugary foods suchas tomatos, oranges and chocolate in large amounts also seem to trigger the symptoms

mainly i think while it would be great if there is an easy solution and if anyone finds one PLEASE SHARE i think that the best thing to do is to try and find what triggers your symptoms, maybe keep a food diary of what you have eaten when and any sypmtoms you have along with this. this would then allow you to try and keep symptom under control.

Hope this may help some of you.
I have most of the same symptoms, but will mention some others below. I'm an otherwise healthy, fit 26-year-old, and I first noticed this problem in high school. I noticed it in high school because I got placed next to a cute girl after lunch and became very self conscious about the gurgling sounds in my throat, and then noticed the uncomfortable, nauseating pressure that accompanied the gurgling. So it was probably occuring long before then. In fact, I know it very likely was, because I have been unable to burp since I was a baby. Like others have mentioned, lying on my left side increases the gurgling, and lying on my right pretty much eliminates it unless I've just had a big meal or wine.

However, I do have some additional symptoms that only a few in this thread mention:

1.) apparent difficulty getting air into the lungs. In fact, my allergist did a spirometry test and diagnosed me with a vocal chord dysfunction. It's not just in my head, it showed up on the graph. Air would begin to go into my lungs and then suddenly plateau. But it doesn't always do it. And when it doesn't do it, my lungs give a very healthy reading. I don't have asthma. I say apparent difficulty though because it doesn't seem to affect my athletic ability. Even during a tennis match I'm fine, symptoms or not. But I definitely get a feeling of not getting my lungs fully inflated. And then all of a sudden I'll get a solid yawn and my lungs will inflate and it will feel like the sweetest breath I've ever taken. A minute later I'll be yawning unsucessfully and trying to get a full breath again. An ENT showed me on video my vocal chords, and they were perfect and opened as wide as they can. So I'm wondering if this vocal chord dysfunction I have is actually with this "burp valve" and not what is commonly looked at with vocal chord dysfunction.

2.) I have so much mucus and constant 24/7 post-nasal drip that I was starting to think I was getting mucus drying in my throat and forming plugs, narrowing my airway and causing not only my breathing problem, but the gurgling as well. After reading this thread, I don't think that's the case, and it may not even be a related symptom.

3.) This may be unrelated, but when the gurgling is bad, do any of you have trouble doing pushups or crunches? I know it is obviously uncomfortable to do anything when the gurgling is bad, but what I'm specifically referring to is a strong pressure in your head that doesn't allow you to breath properly? I only have a certain period of time each day to work out, and if I'm unlucky and I'm during a gurgling phase, it's almost impossible for me to do certain exercises where I'm not standing upright. Almost like my head gets full of blood and pressure. But I don't get this when I'm not having a gurgling episode.

Right now, the most concerning thing for me is my breathing problem. I no longer believe it's serious, but I am wondering if and how it is linked to this gurgling and if both have an underlying cause. I know some mentioned a hiatus hernia. I do have GERD and am on Nexium (it eliminates the heart burn, so I'm assuming it's doing its job and it's not an issue). A hiatus hernia can cause GERD. I do know for a fact that I have an umbillical hernia, but that's a minor thing and I doubt it's related. Probably caused by having bloating from gas so frequently :\

Sorry to be long winded, but I just have to say thanks to everyone for coming forward about this. I say this because I was beginning to get pretty scared that I had a more serious illness like cystic fibrosis or A1AD. Your imagination can really run wild on you when you don't have good information and you feel like you're alone. Thanks to this thread, my feelings of anxiety and dread have melted almost completely away.
I don't have as much gurgling as some of you but I do have  a very difficult time burping. In fact until last year I don't remember hardly ever burping and I am 72. I have always had a bloating problem and know I have acid reflux even though I don't feel it. Tests have shown it. When I have a lot of gas the pressure in my throat is terrible until I burp and then there is a little relief but it doesn't last long. Sometimes it feels to me like my throat on the side is numbed. One thing that I found will help me burp is a peppermint, fennel and ginger pill that I buy on line. Anyone with acid reflux should not eat peppermint, chocolate or drink alcohol since this cause the LES valve from the esophagous to the stomach to get floppy and therefore allows acid to come up. However, when I have to burp I want that valve floppy so that the burp can come up. Supposedly this peppermint doesn't disolve in the stomach and is supposed to be OK for acid reflux. Wouldnt really bet on that but it does help me get up the burps so though it might help some of you. Mine all starts with this pulling, numb feeling in my throat and then I know I am in for a few days of bad distress. I did try the fingers in the throat and it did help so will do that as soon as I feel this coming on. I have a larger than normal tongue and was wondering if the difficulty in burping could be because of that. Has that been mentioned to anyone that it might be a physical problem with our tongue and throat. Just a thought.
i also  have the same growling in my throat,and  it debends  what  i eat realy if i eat good food it doesnt
Following on from my earlier post, the doctor has continued to take the problem seriously, and I had another test the other day where I had a tube up my nose into my stomach for 24 hours, attached to a computer that measured my stomach pH.  Each time I got a symptom like the pressure or the gurgling, I had to press a button

Wasn't the most comfortable experience of my life, but wasn't so bad - I hope it throws something up.

Interestingly my stomach pH was a lot more alkali than I expected - usually between 5 and 7.5.  According to stuff I've read elsewhere, stomach pH is usually expected to be about 2 or 3; I wonder what that means (if anything)...

Going back in 2-3 weeks to get the result, so I'll see then if its significant
Could that be that you don't have enough acid to digest fool? I didnt think they did that test very often. My Dr suggested I have the Bravo where they attack a capsule to the esophagous and I guess it transmit info and then it falls off and it just goes thru you system and out. I decided that since we already know I have acid what was the purpose of doing this. More money for him, I think.

By the way, I am not sure that this sticking your finger down you throat is the best thing to do. It certainly does work but what the heck is it doing to our esophagous. People that are bulimic do this and get terrible errosion in the esophagous. Apparantly this let the valve open to let the gas or food up. I thnk maybe it should be used as little as possible and only when nothing else works.
Same here. Feels like something is in my throat, it gets stuck and when I open my mouth I can hear something like gurgling and then acid. I also get these light hiccups. Not burping makes me gassy. Sometimes I get air stuck in my lower abdominal and it hurts so bardly until the gas is gone. Happy to know i'm not the only one. Thanks to everyone here.
This condition is mots likely caused by a twisted esophagus, you may also find yourself trying to gulp a lot to try and get rid of that feeling of having something stuck, which may feel like a lump.
We don't always realise it but we are constantly swallowing air, some of this gets trapped in the esophagus, and in an attempt to disperse it we swallow more air, the problem is most likely caused by nervous tension or stress, the esophagus is tense and needs treating because if you let it go on  for a long time, it may lead to esophageal spasms, it is normally treated by a calcium channel blocker to relax the esophagus.
This relaxation may make it easier for acid to jump up into the esophagus though, so it would be advidsable to take Acid blockers at the same time to avoid creating additional problems with acid damaging the esophagus.

It is very difficult to get a diagnosis with a condition like this, no tests will show anything ,but this is good, it will eliminate every other cause and will make the condition easier to diagnose.
Smoking can cause this condition, if you smoke then stopping is an easy cure, as the condition progresses, you may start to feel pains or aches spread in your back between the shoulder blades.

All western medicines have side affects, the best treatment if possible is always a natural one, there are lots of natural herbs or roots that will help relax the esophagus like liquorice root or valerian root, try to control tension, if you get angry or upset and you feel that you have tensed up inside, then take some deep controlled breaths and let the tension flow away, you need a lifestyle change, you are most probably a consciencious caring person, who is good at everything they do and when things do not go to plan this gets to you, it is a difficult task but you have to stop letting things get to you so much, you have to learn to let it go, exhale all that tension and say what the hell and let out a big relaxed sigh, you are not allowed to care so much anymore, the choice is taken away from you if you want to get better.
I have absoutely no stress in my life so I know stress is not my problem. For years I had the bloating problem so knew I was an air swallower but I never burped. Just couldnt' burp and didn't feel the need to till a year ago I went thru something like I am going thru now, constant pressure until burp is released, constant bloating. Then it went away for at least 6 months and now it is back with a vengence.Because I have a lung disease I do cough more than most people but that is not something that just happened recently so I dont know why it would be this terrible pressure until I belch. I have had many endo's and been diagnosed with gastritis, esophagitis and duodentitis. Except for acid blockers there really doesn't seem to be much that can be done. I do feel that part of this may be esophageal spasms but I heard that they are very painful and except for pressure this is not painful. I did hear that Nitrogycerine helps sometimes and my dr. gave me a prescription but I have been afraid to try it. I plan to call Gastro Dr. next week and have a heart to heart with him. Maybe try and new one this time but am running out of them.
Well, everyone, I have been suffering for weeks with this problem and finally I decided to use the Gaviscon as was suggested some time ago by my Doctor and low and behold this is the first day I have not had a problem so I encourage all of you to try it as so far today and it is late afternoon I have had no problem. The pressure isn't there like it was. Gaviscon forms a seal over the valve to help keep acid and gas from backing up. It is not terribly expensive and I know it has been on the market for years. It is the only med that works this way.
Well, after checking with my Doctor today he said that sticking you finger down your throat will not hurt you unless you are regurgitating food like in bulimia. He basically said you are throwing up, just air instead of food. I thought he would have a fit. Of course to be clean about it. According to him the acid causes more mucous and you have to swallow more to get rid of the mucous and that can produce the gas. Not really the acid producing the gas. If one has a slow digestive system the gas will stay longer in the stomach. So just thought I would pass it along. Said to try to breathe thru nose, not gulp food,etc..
Wow!! It's so good to read that I'm not the only one with this embarrassing issue! lol. For as long as I can remember I was never able to burp. I would always have those deep inside throat burps..and at the wrong times! I remember a time I was at this Christmas party at a church members house and we were all crowded on the couch and when it got super quiet for prayer time my throat started doing those noises. SO embarrassing!! My mom was trying not to giggle the whole time because she was so used to hearing it. haha. Anyway, a weird thing happened a couple years ago...I had this really bad pain in my stomach and bad cramping. I could hardly move it was so bad. But the next day I burped for the FIRST time! It was the oddest thing...it's like my body re-adjusted itself so I could burp. So now I have no problem burping today...BUT I still do have the throat burps. I find that they usually happen when I'm super stressed, nervous, or just ate or drank something. But when I feel the lump in my thoat I'm able to burp it out now.
I haven't read all the comments, but am so relieved to find that there are many others like me.  I never burp except for maybe a little one that just slips out completely unexpected once a year, and get the gurgling if I eat too much, too fast, or the wrong things.  It was waaaay worse when I was pregnant with both my kids.  So much pain and pressure that it really affected my quality of life.  I've managed to regulate it pretty well now (avoiding carbonation, eating slowly), but when it arises, I just gag myself to release the air.  My husband hates it; I'll do it in the car after eating out at a resteraunt because I'm too embaressed to do it in the bathroom.  The release of air sounds horrible.

One interesting fact I must add - my dad and brother also don't burp, so could it be heriditary?  And even more interesting, my dad has just recently started burping after being diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease.  I don't know if that is related to Parkinson's itself or maybe the medications he is taking, but he literally didn't burp his whole life, and now he burps all the time like a normal, bleching male.

Why I have waited so long to search this? dont know!  42 years old from the UK! always aware that I was different! :-)

Have recently started taking Loritadine tablets regularly along with other meds due to another problem. diagnosed with house dustmite allergy years ago, hence the anti histamine! think the regular taking of which has stopped my nasal dripping, dried me up nicely but now find I vomit/reach regularly and then burp! never been able to before!
mind you coughing my guts up aint particularly social but at least getting some relief!....... always growled! my kids grew up with a tiger in my belly! had some fun on times?

Paul

Hi all - I have the exact same problem as most of you have described. A couple of things I:
- I had quite bad colic and reflux as a baby, which I believe is related to a dysfunction of the upper sphincter in the stomach. I wonder if this is related.
- To the poster who mentioned post-nasal drip: I don't have this problem often, but whenever I do have it I notice that the gurgling gets much worse. I wonder if having the drip prompts you to swallow much more frequently, and therefore you take in more air? Just an idea...

This is weird. I have tried to explain this to people and they do't get it!

Have suffered from this my whole life;
I can't burp (very occasionally one will sneak out)
Very very very rarely vomit (get gag reflex though)
Gurgling noise moving up throat
Pressure in lower throat/collar bone area
Lying down helps
Sometimes just the gurgle
Sometimes gets so bad have to lie down with bloated tummy, feel want to throw up, saliva but not nauseous (at bad times, the hiccups herald the end of the worst)
Some foods react badly but not all the time - dairy, coffee, sweets, doughy dry foods. Sometimes anything will set it off.
Good luck sorting this out.
I also have had the same problem:  gurgling in throat, REALLY bad bloat, and not being able to burb for years now.  After reading these forums, I have tried a few things out for the past few months that have helped:

1.)  Cut out most dairy products out of my diet.
2.)  Dont drink beer or soda
3.)  Dont chew gum
4.)  Dont drink threw a straw

My next steps will be to try and cut out coffee (because it does get really bad after I drink it...but I need coffee to stay awake so it will be a gradual process) and to limit my meat intake.  I will let you know how that goes.  Hope this helps.
     My ENT doctor thinks my symptoms are caused by acid reflux. Since the asophogus is one muscle it makes sense that burning at the base of the asophugus can irritate the whole asophogus and cause complications. However, treating acid reflux has not worked for me yet, after many months.
     Things I have in common with many of you are:
1. Panic attacks
2. Can't burp
3. Never throw up
4. Feeling of loss of breath- I once thought I was dying because of this and paramedics came over and told me my oxygen level was fine
5. Painful bloating and bad gas
     The reason I'm listing these is because I think we can get to the bottom of this if we find out the symptoms that are common to ALL sufferers of belch-reflex dysfunction.
     I would also like to examine the relationship between this condition and mental illness. For example, growing up I never learned to burp because I thought people who burped were crude. Plus I vowed after I was sick with a flu that "I will never throw up ever again!" And through force-of-will I never did. I think I may have trained myself through my phobia of vomiting to repress some of the human body's natural functions which is resulting in my body turning against me (sorry if that sounds dramatic).
     Is it common for people with this condition to have grown up fearing or detesting burping and vomiting? If this is common we can deduce that there is a definite psychological component at play here.
Well I think thats an interesting theory.  In my case, whilst I would never exactly choose to burp or vomit, I don't think I would say I had a phobia of them

However I have had an epiphany of my own recently.  My own symptoms had always appeared to come on only on nights out.  This happened regardless of what I drank: alcohol, soft drinks, water - and more or less ONLY on nights out (and on nights out, almost 100% of the time).  This made no sense to me - it was almost like the nights out were causing it.  The doctor wondered if there could be a psychological connection, and I started to agree.

The only other time I got my symptoms was, occasionally, at the end of a day at work (I'm a teacher).  However one thing I noticed was that one of the only things at work that could be guaranteed to bring on my symptoms were parent-teacher evenings.   Was I allergic to them somehow too?!

Then it struck me.  The thing that these two eventshave in common in my life.  Its not just the drinking (I have to drink water constantly through parents nights) but its the fact that I amconstantly drinking AND constantly talking (i.e. nights out, social occasions, need to maintain conversation).  At no other point in my life would I have to talk quite so much, and certainly not combined with the need to drink.

So now I need to think about how I use my voice and how that may affect my symptoms.  Watch this space...
I am 25 years old and have had all the same problems with not being able to burp my whole life and having stomach problems because of it.  I have actually learned to burp.  It's strange and amazing.  I suspect there to be something physically similar that all of us have in common that kept it from being a natural reaction, but at least with me... over the last 4 months or so, I've gotten to the point where I can actually burp when I need to most of the time.  I still can't belch on command or burp the ABCs, but when I feel the need to burp, I can do certain things with my chest, shoulders, neck, jaw, and throat to make a burp happen (sounds more complicated than it actually is once I got the hang of it).  Sometimes they're small and sometimes they are big.  It did not completely fix my stomache problems, but it is better and i can now better understand which foods upset my stomach, and I can explain it in no other way than to say that it is absolutely glorious.  I'm interested to see if I can help anyone else learn how to do this.  Feel free to email me at ***@**** if you would like more information and assistance learning to burp.  I hope your search turns out as well as mine did.
I am SO RELIEVED to have found this forum of people with the exact same issues I have had for as long as I can remember.  I am so glad to know I am not alone and it's not all in my head!  Here is my list of symptoms:

- Unable to belch (I did wake up belching one time, I was so excited I could hardly go back to sleep!)
- Gurgling in the throat after eating or drinking
- Frequently nauseous
- Terrible gag reflex
- Lump in throat like something is stuck
- Esophageal spasm that makes me unable to swallow and/or breathe momentarily
- Painful bloating and excessive gas
- Allergic to everything under the sun (24/7 postnasal drip)
- Violent, deep, painful hiccups a dozen times a week

I haven't really ever been to the doctor to address this particular issue.  I have gone and been diagnosed with acid reflux and was taking Prilosec but really never helped.  Now that I know there are lots of other people with these same issues I am certainly going to see someone.  I always thought the Dr. would just think I was a hypocondriac or something if I came in for a visit because I had gas, gurgling in my throat and couldn't burp!

It really gets old and I am sick of always feeling sick to my stomach.  Does anyone else get really bad gas if you get really hungry?  I have coined the phrase the "hungry fart" in my family (however my daughter thinks we call it the "funny farts").

It really does help to just let yourself "vomit" the air that is built up.  This action I lovingly refer to as "horking".  If I am at work or somewhere where I can't lay down (which does yield relief) I have had to allow myself to go into the bathroom and go through the motions of vomiting.  However, it typically is just a huge, earth shaking, belch-like air vomit that is accompanied by lots of salivating and sometimes a bit of something akin to dog slobber.  It is quite embarrassing in a public venue, but mine has gotten to the point that I can't keep it from happening.

It is kind of sad to me that it is now commonplace for me to dash away from the dinner table to "hork" only to return to my 3 yr old very compassionately saying "you had to throw up mommy?".  I am probably breeding some sort of eating disorder in her.  Drama!

Well, I hope we all can get a real diagnosis some day and some actual relief from all the symptoms.  Down with the Gurgles!
I'm 39 and have had most of the above (and some!) all my life.

My throat has always gurgled. It's far worse after drinking and/or eating. It's rarely present in the morning and definitely gets worse during the course of the day. I also get terrible stomach cramps - wrongly diagnosed as IBS, I think. I now think it's all related to my gurgles, etc. I also get the 'hungry farts' (see post above!). I sit there in agony sometimes when I'm hungry. I try so hard not to let it get to that stage but a small snack just won't fill me up enough to stop the pain. I've been doubled over before but learn to live with it. It is all just air, I think, that causes it. As soon as I eat, the air starts to come out (not nice!) which is just such a pain at work, etc. I try to eat then go out for a walk which helps, or at least to the loo. Plus, I'm overweight, probably as a result of having to eat.

I've wondered if I have problems with my thyroid. Should get that checked out.

The fingers down the throat thing works for me and I can't believe others have worked it out too. I felt like such a freak! Only my husband knows I do that (and an ex or two). I manage to hide it if I'm out by doing it into tissues while I flush the loo or faking a coughing fit, but sometimes I just HAVE to risk it or it feels like my chest and stomach are gonna explode. I look pregnant when it's at its worst - and my stomach goes rock hard and swells. I ain't skinny normally, but it's far better in the mornings when I'm not full of air from the day and my stomach feels flat and empty!

When I'm off work and home all day, or on holiday, I rarely get the stomach aches. I thought maybe it was lack of any stress, but I think it's more that I can eat when I want (usually about midday) rather than 2pm at work (with lots of healthy-ish snacks before), and my dinner's about 5 or 6pm instead of about 7 or 8pm. I need hours for my food to go down and have to wait until I'm almost hungry again before I can go to bed and lie down. Have woken up choking on many occasions where I think the food just sits in my throat not going down properly.

For those who've not tried the finger down the throat trick, go on. It works. Just don't let anyone hear! I can't do it more than once as acid or food starts coming back up like I'm going to be sick. Just once for the air is enough.

Don't remember having a problem with throwing up, but I think a lot of times have been related to the trapped air. I've been forced over the loo, basically gagging up air (loudly). If I did that long enough, I'd end up puking. Didn't realise at the time, thought I was just gagging to be sick but now know it was just air (especially after a long night on the town with tonnes of d.coke and spirits or beer or wine).

I can't burp - once in a blue moon one will sneak out. I've noticed it's when I've been looking round eg in the car reversing, or lifting myself out of somewhere like a low seat, maybe holding my breath a bit and unintentially forcing pressure in my throat area helps. It's very rare though and never a big proper one.

To stop or lessen the noises, I can control it a bit by holding my breath in a bit. Not til I'm blue or anything(!), but enough to help and slow it down.

Lying on my back stops them completely. Only found that out a few years back. They're worse on my left side, better on my right but not always gone. But then I can't always breathe properly when on my back or right side and am often forced to lie on my left.

I eat Rennie like they're sweets and my husband worries. Trying to cut down but still usually having 2 a day after my evening meal.

Feel like my throat doesn't close properly when I swallow, or that there's something in the way.

Often cough annoyingly, and my voice is a tad hoarse I think.

Probably a tonne of other things I've forgotten. Just sharing the major stuff right now. Maybe someone will figure us all out!

I feel truly blessed to have found you all!!!! :-)

Sorry to hog the board.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
i would just like to say that i have this exact same problem and am glad i'm not the only one. i have the same symptoms as everybody else here, and Gravity_Boots, finally, somebody with my problem! i too have a horrible phobia of vomiting. i also have a cold right now and i think the mucus drip is making it alot worse.  i have been swallowing a lot more because of the cold which i think is resulting in the heightened amount of gurgling. having read all the comments i think i have a pretty good idea of why i get the gurgling and how to prevent it/help it. i may even try the gagging thing to help myself release air, though it's probably going to be hard since i'm so scared of gagging and throwing up. i just need to keep in mind how much better i will feel afterwards!
I am so glad that I found this site! I have researched my symptoms and have never found ANYTHING that even has come close to what I have found in these blogs. I  too have suffered with this growling throat phenomenon. I’m 25 years old and I believe I’ve been dealing with it since childhood. I have never had a problem with vomiting. It’s probably been 6-7 years since I’ve last vomited and before that, it was approximately 8 years. I remember being in elementary school and having excruciating stomach aches- now realize that it was a gas build-up. I still suffer from them from time to time.  I also recall feeling odd that I could not burp. I tried, but couldn’t and still can’t. Occassionally I’ll have an abrupt burp- kinda out of nowhere. I’ve never really had that much trouble with hiccups. I’ve found that certain things such as coffee, soda, peppermint candies, gum, and other random food will cause my gurgling/growling noises. I feel the same kind of pressure as others have described and at times it does feel like my lungs aren’t filling to their full capacity. And then there are the infamous noises.  I  feel so embarrassed by the noises- especially in quiet areas (more specifically- in church while praying.) My husband used to find it endearing, but lately the noises, or as he jokingly describes it- my demons, are becoming very annoying. Thus, I decided to do some further research.

Like I mentioned above, this has been the closest thing that I have found to explain my symptoms. I did go to a  doctor  over a year ago and after descibing everthing, she said that basically I was taking in air while eating and drinking and that my body had to expell the air somehow. And that’s why I was gurgling. Wouldn’t you know it, that even after drinking coffee before my appt,  I didn’t have the growling noises. Haha.  She agreed with me that it did not sound like acid reflux.

Some of you mentioned gagging yourselves to relieve the pressure in your throat. I use my toothbrush. After brushing my teeth, I brush my tongue and in doing so, I end up gagging myself. My husband usually yells at me if he’s close by, but what can I say? It feels so much better. I’ll have to try laying down like some of you have mentioned. Thank you all for posting. Hopefully we can find a solution soon.
I thought my dad and I were the only ones!!!!!  I googled forever trying to find something on this.  It's really irritating.  I have the exact same symptoms as all of you.  As long as I don't eat or drink ANYTHING, I'm fine but who can go through life like that.  I thought it was just loud in my head until someone mentioned they could hear it on the phone.  That was 20 years ago which tells you how long I've been dealing with this.  Nothing unusual has ever come up in a test.  Other than this, I'm as healthy as a horse.
phew, a whole group of people with the same problem!

i have the same problem, however - i do not get hiccups very often at all, i have no problem vomiting (in fact i vomit relatively frequently compared to my friends). and, luckily, i dont get this trapped air every day.

to those who trigger their gag reflex to get rid of the air - i do the same thing. however, there is an easier way to do it rather than sticking fingers down your throat. this is what i do: sit up straight, open your mouth wide, and tilt your head up (so that your oesophagus is sort of in a straight line down to your stomach). then tense your abdominal muscles (or alternatively, lightly tense it, then release, then tense again, etc). this moves the air up the windpipe - after a while you might feel a bit nauseus and/or start salivating a bit, and then you'll do the thing right before you vomit where all the air comes out. sort of like a super burp?

i accidentally discovered this while trying to burp. makes me wonder, if i/we can do this, why cant i/we burp?

going to see my doctor some time next week about this - fingers crossed..
I have the same thing! I thought it wasn't that unusual, but then again I have never met anyone else with this symptoms (my brother can belch pretty much on demand and very loudly to boot...). I normally get it after a fizzy drink, downing a beer, or some foods such as instant noodles or spaghetti bolognaise. I get gurgling in my throat, though sometimes there is a "super gurgle" that feels like some air is actually getting out, often combined with a yawn-type-thing. However if it gets really bad I get incredibly bloated and feel sick which has caused me the embarrassment of having to drop out of drinking games after the first pint! I also think this is related to the painful, prolonged hiccuping I sometimes get, usually after relatively heavy drinking and accompanied by the bloated/sick feeling. Like some other posters, I am very rarely physically sick except after drinking too much, but when I am everyone knows about it because of the sounds of intense pain I make! I have always been told I'm overreacting, but reading this thread makes me think that perhaps my vomiting actually is more painful than most people's and that it's related to the burping thing.

This has never caused me a major problem, though it has got noticeably worse recently. The loud gurgling can be embarrassing, as can the withdrawal from social drinking due to the effects, and I also seem to fart much more than most which I think is a consequence of the gas not being able to get out the "easy" way! I am a male of university-student age, and also much thinner than anyone else I have ever met in case that's somehow related.
I'm 29 and I have had the same problem for as long as I can remember.  Mine is very similar to Smeddlesboy.  I notice it happens every time I go out to a bar, club or party, even if I'm not drinking much but hardly ever at home even when I am drinking.  I can see it being related to talking because I always get a sore throat and end up not wanting to talk at all or going horse.  I get painful hiccups a lot and I haven't thrown up in almost 10 years.  I don't know why I finally decided to google my condition but I was relieved to see I wasn't the only one while discouraged at the same time because it looks like there is no easy answer and a doctor isn't going to be much if any help.  Maybe I will try the finger trick next time I am out but I have an awful gag reflex and even thinking about it makes me wince.
A bit of an update - I finally had the results of my testing with the consultant last week and it was a really good discussion.  He has confirmed that I both have severe acid reflux and that the sphincter muscle at the top of my stomach (between the stomach and foodpipe - sorry I forget all the proper names) is weak and that this may be the cause of the symptoms I'm experiencing.

He's putting me on new tablets - so that as well as the one I already take to stopo me overproducing acid (which he's making stronger) he will also be putting me on new tablets designed to help the sphincter muscle work better.

I'mr eally hopeful that this will help my symptoms.  Apparently there are also options to have an operation if the tablets don't help but I'm hopefuly for the tablets
Like many of you, I am writing because I just found this site and I just realized that I'm not the only weird one! I also managed to muster up the courage to try the finger trick, and I have to say, it's a lifesaver!

I just want to add that you should never, NEVER USE AN OBJECT.

The throat can spontaneously clamp onto an object and not let go. Even if you've done it 300 times. People die this way. I'm mentioning this because tonya mentioned using her toothbrush, and I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Here's what I did:

1. Washed my hands. You might want to think about trimming your nails.
2. I used the middle finger of my right (dominant) hand. Lean over a wastebasket (you may drip some spit). Stick the finger in your mouth and down to the back of your tongue - don't touch the throat. Press. Press harder if you need to.
3. You'll feel the urge to (possibly voluntarily) cough/retch. Go with it. Nothing bad will happen.

You can breathe the whole time. It's not hard to avoid hitting the throat. I don't feel at all like I'm going to throw up when I do it (fear of vomiting, here), and I don't feel like I can't breathe. Loud noise, as people say. Pressing on the tongue is a little unpleasant but not painful, and you don't have to do it for very long. Repeat as necessary. I took breaks, washed my hands, etc.

The first time I tried it, I chickened out, but when I finally did it, it was like "wow, where has this been all my life?"
I myself have had this problem.. I was diagnosed with sever acid reflux many years ago. I have take everything from nexium 40mg 2-3 times a day. Pantaloc, motilium, metacloprimade, rantidine, rolaids, pepto, gas x, ventolin, advair, flovent, flonase, nasonex, predinose, allery pills, home made rememdies...everything!!

I eventually had a nissen fundoplication to stop the acid reflux which they told me it would fix my cough and gurgling in thoart. It never did.  heartburn is gone now but it seems that gas really gets stuck in the esophagus now.

After all the research I have done I believe.. it is the Upper and Lower esophageal spinchters that are causing the gas to become trapped..especially the ciropharngeal spincter. I have yet to try muscle relaxants or valium...or maybe even botox.  I have heard these are the only treatments out there to help this condition.  Basically if your upper esophageal sphincter remains constricted...fluid will not move through as easily..hence it will sit and your back of your thoart and gurgle till it makes its way through..

Well anyway.. thats it. Try relaxation technigues..like massage and yoga..exercise 3 times or more a week..reduce stress and drink lots of water.. also remember smoking and alochol irritate the back of the thoart.
i have never burped in my life- not once- and i will be 16 in one week. i have had this throat growling for as long as i can remember and it is really embarassing. alot of times i will be in class and it will be silent and my throat will growl really loud to the point that everyone can hear it. my whole family and friends have heard it and also if you put your hand to your throat when it is growling, you can feel it vibrating in your throat as well. i have had a barium swallow and endoscopy. the doctor found nothing and we wasted a ton of money. however, it gets worse and worse to the point where sometimes it actually hurts and it gets hard to breathe when i have it really bad. it definitely happens after i eat but sometimes it will come up for no reason. i dont drink any soda (never have had in my entire life) nor do i drink any other carbonated drinks. i hardly ever throw up either, though i do agree with the poster above me it is not that common. though i am in 10th grade and the last time i threw up was in 4th, which is longer than anyone i know. i am also never sick, the last time i ran a fever was in 3rd grade i believe. dont know if thats related or not but does anyone have ANY ideas? its getting to the point where it is just embarassing to be out in public bc you never know if your throat is gonna growl really loud.

Alright, well I know that it may not be the same thing for everyone, but this is what I've found.

The biggest thing for me to learn was torso, shoulder, neck, head, and jaw placement to allow a burp through.  I have to be at least sitting up straight or leaning forward slightly is even better.  Can't do it while sitting back.  I have to push my shoulders straight back, the further the better.  And then I have to push my head forward and then chin down.  At first it helped me to turn my head left to right while my chin was down and head out.  It also helps open my throat if I open my mouth slightly and push my jaw forward, like giving myself an under bite.  Regarding throat muscles and relaxation, I've found that the only thing that I was familiar with that is similar to "opening my throat" would be a yawn.  So if I position myself in the way specified above, and then make myself yawn, the first part of the yawn (before it takes over and you feel like you have to yawn) is when I will burp.

It took me probably 3 months to realize that full list of motions after I started getting a little bit of control.  As odd as it all sounds if I have even one of those incorrect, I usually can't burp, or the burp is miserably small and useless.

This only works for me when I need to burp.  I can't burp on command, but if I've just drank half of a Mountain Dew and feel like I need to burp, I simply make sure to be sitting/standing up or leaning forward slightly, push my shoulders back, touch my chin to my chest, and then right when I feel like it should be hitting my throat, I push my head forward (while still keeping my chin down), open my mouth slightly and push my jaw out and start the yawn feeling in my throat.  Once I got the hang of it, I learned that by having breathed some air into my diaphragm, I could push out a larger burp by using that air in my diaphragm to push on the burp.  I didn't learn that until I got the hang of smaller burps.

I don't know if this is common with others or not, but I've got a bit of an overbite and some sinus problems.  For as long as I can remember I've gotten phlegm stuck in my throat and have to spit it out... and the more stuff in my throat, the less likely I am to be able to burp as well.

Hope this is something that can be helpful.  I'd like to know if it is.  Keep me posted.

Bob
i'm glad i came across this. i'm 19 and i've had the same problem for a while now. once every few months i'll burp but other than that i just have this crazy throat growling all the time! it's so annoying and uncomfortable. it feels like there's pressure down somewhere in my throat and the growling is like 30 seconds apart. i'm experiencing it right now at 1:55 am and it's been happening since about 9 at night. it makes me extremely nauseous and it's so constant that i feel like i just want to puke but i never do. i recently went to my chiropractor who practices acupuncture. he does it for free because he's not licensed to practice it where i live. i got it for the first time a few days ago because my guts have been going crazy lately. i was extremely constipated for weeks and i was only going about once every five days. i also have incredibly bad anxiety and a hyperactive thyroid. he put five needles in my ear and so far my anxiety has decreased significantly and i'm able to go to the bathroom every other day it seems. i'm going back to my doctor on monday and i'm going to ask him for more acupuncture for gastrointestinal issues. when i get the results i'll post them here :) i'm a big believer in natural medicine.
Glad to know I'm not alone with this. I'm 21 years old. I've had this problem for maybe about 7 years now. I was also diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. That's been taken care of now. But, even as I write this. My throat is growling. I also never burp and rarely vomit. Even on my binge drinking nights. Hiccups are usually loud and happen frequently on the days that I do get them. It is embarrassing and I try to control it or hide it as much as I can when around others. Usually with a cough. I wish there was an answer for this. I'm just so tired of it. It usually happens when I eat or drink anything. My mother thought it was because I drank pop, but it happens when I drink water or even just swallow. Also I do feel like there's phlegm or mucus in the back of my throat.  

Cassandra
Hey,
I'm 21, and like most of you I've had these gurgling noises for ages. After reading this forum and attempting some of the solutions, (mainly the sticking your fingers down your throat one, which sounds horrible but is such a relief when all the air comes out!), I've found that I've started being able to burp. I don't know if it's because the more I force myself to burp by using my fingers has stretched a part of my oesophagus or something, but it's definitely working.

The other thing I've found is that when I get a gurgle, if I breathe out quickly through my mouth at the same time, it seems to help ease the air out and I get little mini burps.

Just thought I'd add these things to see if they help anyone else. I don't know where I'd be without this forum!

Thanks everyone,
Eve
i have the same thing!  a growing type noise in my throat that is very annoying.  i notice it happens usually after i eat and really bad if i eat a lot of food.  it also makes me feel kind of bloated and a bit sick sometimes.  it is just one growl after another until it finally subsides...  i am a 35 yr old female and have had this condition for as long as i can remember! :-(
i meant to say a 'growling' type noise
YAY! I never thought I'd find anyone else who suffered from this! I'm a 17 year old female. I might have burped once my whole life, though I'm not sure. I was so surprised that I had to run to a quiet room in hopes that I'd feel it again.. I've always been jealous of my cousin who could burp out the ABC's after drinking Coke :) I've thrown up twice my whole life- once because I suffered from indigestion and car nausea and another because I was just really incredibly sick. My hiccups are impossible as well. My friends all have almost inaudible, cute hiccups that go away after a while, but mine are PAINFUL! They make my whole body shudder and you can literally hear them across the room. And they have lasted for up to 30minutes. Not only that, but it's like there's a sharp stick poking at my chest whenever I hiccup. I have a healthy lifestyle as well- I run at least 21 hours a week with my school team and eat mostly fruits and vegetables (sometimes meat, but I don't like it much). I hate treats like cookies like once every two months and rarely drink soda. I don't drink coffee either. Yes, I drink tea, but uncaffenated brown rice and green tea.

Right now I'm suffering from the gurgling again. All I did was eat 5 small chocolate chip cookies and drink some water. The right side of my chest is in pain and it feels like there's something blocking it and my throat has been making those sounds for the past 3-4 hours. I read ALL of the comments here (instead of writing my essay... well I couldn't concentrate anyway because of this) and have tried the various methods of drinking warm water and lying down. Lying down helped... until I stood back up and sat down vertically. The other posts also suggested that chocolate might trigger this? I don't recall any other instances where the gurgling was this bad because of chocolate.. it doesn't happen so often that I remember what triggers it :[ (fortunately). But this is really painful right now. It's like my right lung can't expand when I inhale. Sort of like a sharp thing is blocking it? My friends and family don't understand what I'm talking about when I try to explain. They either laugh it off or say that it's stress related. I mean yeah, it might be stress related, but if that was the case, many more people would have it... Plus, I don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening after I ate those cookies. But.. I've eaten those cookies before...

Ah, I'm so confused. I truly hope that someone can find the remedy,  a true remedy and not just some bogus pill :[
hi you guys. i posted on here back in may about how frustrated i was with this condition. but i just wanted to say that between now and then i have actually managed to get myself to burp! there is some hope! haha. I used to constantly check on here waiting for someone to say that they found a cure, and unfortunately i haven't done that yet- but over time it has gotten a little better for me.
im 16 years old and i dont remember burping at all when i was little but i didnt really have a problem with it. when i was about 11 i started to notice the gurgle noises happening but only occasionally. it finally started bugging me enough to look it up about a year ago and ive found a few forums like this one, although i dont think this problem is very common. nobody that i know of in person has this condition. after i looked it up it started to get worse and worse... possibly because i started to take notice of it more. or maybe i got stressed out over it. i kept having the gurgles more and more until one day i let out one of those teeny tiny useless burps. i was so excited over that and gradually- i have no idea how, the tiny burps happened more often. i became somewhat obsessed with burping those little burps and i would force them out whenever i could. they happened probably like 30 times a day. insane... i know. after doing that awhile i am now able to burp larger burps, but they are really weird. i kind of choke up these burps that sound like im about to puke, but air just rushes out. i can't do it unless my mouth is closed too. which might be helpful in relaxing the throat. ?? i have a TON of pressure after eating and they just some how are forced out.
its great to finally be able to burp, but another strange thing about it is that i feel some relief from the burps but everytime after the burp happens i can feel the gurgle of air moving back down again and sometimes i can hear it travel like through my intestines or something. its super weird. there is always a ton of pressure behide the burps (which doesnt feel great, but it forces the air out) but maybe my throat closes before all the air can escape at once...? maybe thats why i have these big burps throughout the day too.
lately ive had a lot of stomach pains and problems that are probably related to this condition, so i know my burping is still not normal at all. im going to continue to try and figure out more about this and i will post more if anything changes. i thinking about a possible career in this area in my future...? lol
sorry this was so long i hope there was something that might be useful to someone!!
Im 17 and I also have this problem. Ive had for as long as I can remember. I am currently sick with a sinus infection right now and the gurgling seems to have gotten worse. Because of my sore throat, I am constantly swallowing and after each swallow, I experience the gurgling noise. I'm wondering if it is brought on by the swallowing. Like many others, I have never really been able to burp and I rarely vomit. Relief for this condition would be absolutely great seeing as I must agree that it is extremely embarrassing.
Hey,

Its nice to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  I have had this for as long as I can remember now, and although the gurgles don't happen all the time, whenever I drink I feel very bloated and sick until I almost vomit, but it only comes out as air.  It is a big relief when this happens, but it is very embarrassing and annoying having to dash off to the toilet to release the air all the time!  I wish there was some information on how to solve it as it is ruining my social life. I know I could be worse off or have something more serious but it is still incredibly annoying and I find it difficult to socialise when I feel so ill.  Although in a way it is good that I am not the only one with this problem, the lack of a cure is quite frustrating. Hopefully we will find something out.  It might also be worth mentioning that I am a 24 year old male and also have an enlarged thyroid, neither overactive or underactive.  Good luck guys! :)
I posted on here a few times before - about the hospital tests I had and everything and how I was put on new tablets 2 months ago.  A stronger one than I previously had to inhibit acid production ; and one to stop me being sick (domperidone)

Amazingly, there has been an improvement in my symptoms - much fewer gurgles, and (touch wood it doesn't change) haven't needed to force myself to be sick once since I started taking them

So whilst I know every one will be a different case, thought I should say that there is hope - I'm just grateful I had a GP and consulatant who took it seriously and let me have the tests done

Good luck to the rest of you

David
I've started burping for the first time ever! Here's what I do now when I need to burp, and most of the time one will come out:

When you feel an air bubble starting to come up, just tighten up your stomach muscles and diaphragm/upper chest using light pressure. Sit up straight and lift your chin slightly. Just relax and with a little luck it might work. It's hard at first but as you keep doing it, it's more likely to work.

I found this out during a week of drinking excessive amounts of beer. It's easier to do when you have lots of gas in your stomach. Keep trying cause it is possible! I burped only a handful of times over the first 21 years of my life. But now I can burp about 50% or more of the times I try. They are getting bigger with more practice too.

Obviously the alternative is to stick a finger down your throat but that's not really a solution to the problem.

Something I've read on a couple of these sites is that a lot of us are skinny, or maybe it's that we have weak muscles in a certain area in our chest? Because conciously tightening these muscles when you need to burp works for me. :)

Hope this helps someone. If anyone can add to this it'd sure be good.

Guy
I was blown away to find this thread because I too have the gurgle/growl in the throat that sounds like a small, stretched-out, contstricted burp. Mine happens with each swallow and there's a mild pressure-sensation just before the sound escapes. My wife hears it at night and has been amazed.
Im a male thyroid patient (Hashimoto's - hypothyroidism) and noticed others in the thread being thyroid patients. There might be a connection because I have a small firm goiter and get the sensation of something being in my throat that needs swallowed-down.
I have acid reflux (many years now) and just this week, developed dry bronchitis from it which is VERY UNPLEASANT. I believe this throat-burp thing to be related to esophageal problems and possibly further aggravated by thyroid inflammation.

It was great to read all of these posts by fellow throat-burpers!
since reading this me and my mother (who both have the same problem) have been throat growling non stop!! we both can't burp even when trying, and I can't throw up either and have only thrown up/burped when I was a young child. I have also tried lying on my right side after reading this helped some of you, and it worked instantly! we can't think what it is, although she thought it was due to tension, since we find it occurs more frequently during awkward times (nerves/stress)or during situations where we need to be quiet (so that can be embarassing!) we both also find it doesnt happen after eating/drinking, it can simply happen on its own just by sitting down doing nothing for a whie! we too thought we were the only ones with it as when trying to explain it people they either laugh or dont believe us, so i now just say its my tummy rumbling cos im hungry haha! to me, it looks like we're all stuck with this to be quite honest but still im hoping someone will come up with a trick to prevent it apart from sticking fingers down your throat because thats just horrible really!
any news, let us know!!
I'm hear so early this morning because my boyfriend told me that my gurgling is keeping him awake.  It's very annoying and embarrassing.  I have no idea what it is but i hope someone finds out soon :(  It is worse when I'm laying on my side - my left side, to be exact.  It doesn't happen as much when I'm on my back.  I do burp though but at the time when these noises occur it feels like I have to burp but I cannot.  Strange.  Someone please figure out what this is!!!
I am so happy to find a community of others battling this problem.  I've had the growling in my throat for about 4 years now.  As a child, I never burped.  I do recall the growling occuring after eating pizza when I was younger.  It was not a cronic (chronic) problem as it is today, because it was only one growl, then it stopped.  The noise in my throat is very loud and sounds similar to a stomach growl.  Occassionly, I have very painful, loud hiccups. The difference of my problem is that I am always naseous when the growling occurs.  It usually comes from eating/drinking too fast, but also from eating certain foods.  I have not pinpointed exactly which foods trigger it because there are times when I eat something and have the growling, then do not growl when I eat the same thing another time.  Although, I have learned to omit certain foods from my diet: citrus, alcohol, carbonated beverages, tomato, garlic, meat, coffee, cakes, fried foods.  I have seen many gastroenterologists and have taken many medications to no avail.  I am currently seeing a specialist at Johns Hopkins and an ENT doctor.  I was diagnosed with IBS, lactose intollerance, and acid reflux, but I know that these are not typical symptoms of those disorders.  The only way to relieve myself of the growling is to attempt to vomit.  I've only actually vomitted a few times and mostly get a dry heave or just a vomit noise.  It has been suggested to try yoga to relieve stress, get 8 hrs of sleep, drink plenty of water (since water does not initiate my symptoms), and keep a food diary to see what trigger foods have in common.  Thankfully I can take some of your posts to the ENT tomorrow and maybe he can research "dysfunction of the belch reflex".
Thanks for your stories and I will keep you updated with my progress.
i have noticed many people trying to pinpoint this problem down to the exact foods that cause it. for some people i suppose this could be triggered by an allergic reaction to food or something, but i kind of doubt that. for me the gurgle noise happens usually after i eat, but also sometimes when i havent eaten for a long time. sometimes it happens when i just drink water. sometimes it doesnt happen even when i eat pizza. at least for me i think this problem isn't based so much on the foods we eat, but rather how much air we swallow with our food. some gassier foods are obviously going to trigger it more than others. (like soda) you can go ahead and try eliminating different foods from your diet, but i think you should just try to focus on not swallowing so much air when you eat. (also try to relax during and after eating) i know its really frustrating. i am 16 and i have had this for the last 3 years, but it and it has definitely changed over the past year and is getting better. i wish everyone good luck!
I go through this as well. It's gotten more noticable lately though and I was blaming the fact that i'm 6 months pregnant. Laying on my back doesn't help, and I'm not suppose to do to much of that. Laying on my side doesn't help, nothing does. If anyone gets this pinpointed I'd appreciate them posting something
I'm 15. & I have this "uncureable" condition. I gurgle all day long, and it drives me insane. I've been on multiple medications, & have been diagnosed with acid reflux, which I really doubt I have.

But I recently had a barium swallow test, and it came back that I have a hiatal hernia..
Hiatal hernia is a condition in which a portion of the stomach protrudes upward into the chest, through an opening in the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the sheet of muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen. It is used in breathing.

You can google it for more information.
My doctor said it probably has something to do with the gurlging, so there probably going to put me on some strong medication for it. I suggest everyone go and get a swallow barium test to see if we all have this in common. I hope to have maybe somehow found an answer and to help others with this annoyance!
Well, I have this problem too... My symptoms include pressure in my chest, like someone is pressing down on me, and the embarrassing loud "croaking" noise that comes out of the throat, its not a gurrgle or a burp, also I get excess amount of saliva created in my mouth and it's hard to swallow it so I have to spit it out.
The only way to get rid of it is lying down. (some people here say it gets worst so it's probably not the same thing) And when I go for too long without lying down I get really bad hurtful hiccups.

It usually happens when I eat at weird times, usually when I eat too early in the morning or when I go without eating for too long.

It gets unbearable at time and I'll have to leave school or work early to lay down.
I'm 21 and don't have medical insurance so I can't see a doctor, but I did ask my doctor back in high school and he had no solution.

Direct Message me if you're experiences the same thing and have found solutions!

Thanks for this!  

I tutor at night, and sitting one on one with someone while having these "growls," or "Mommy Burps," as my kids call it, is humiliating.

Funny how I've never mentioned it to a doctor, in fact, I am humiliated when a doctor leans in close to look in my eyes/ears, whatever, and it happens.  It's AWFUL!

So glad smeddlesboy has checked back in so many times with results - THANK YOU!

Looking forward to more progress as we unite and search for a cure.
I just started getting the gurgles and it's driving me crazy. However, I've noticed that a lot of you never throw up, while I, as a bulimic, throw up multiple times a day. I'm so confused. I want answers to this so badly. I'm gurgly as I type this and it feels so awful. I just want to scream :(
Also, I can't swallow when it happens and I find myself producing a TON of saliva.
HI every1 im 13yrs old and always had this unexplained mystery.
ive only just realised that its getting worse and worse. i CANNOT burp at all (never ever burped) and i can never throw up (in the last 5 years). its mostly when i sit up and lean forward it gets really bad. it never stops. i dont have any medical problems and  i just hope somebody finds a cure for this embarrasing thing, thanks and good luck to all of you :)
I'm 13, a girl, and I have bones that stick out. That probably has NOTHING to do with this. but, I have a bone on my chest that sticks out, and the doctor has no idea what it is. I don't think it has anything to do with the gurgling thing, but maybe.. "/

it happens when i'm nervous.. and after I drink.

And its quite noticable. In one of my lessons it gurgled, and my friend asked "What was that?!"
I said "I really don't know... But its always happening."

Today I was at my friends, and we got some sweets from the shop, and then I felt like burping. ( I can around her. We would just laugh ;) )
I really couldn't, and there was the gurgling noise again. Eventually I did burp though.

But its really embarrasing, because someone on my table heard it, and they thought I farted. Which is extremely embarrasing.
I'm not excactly sure when it started, but I think it was about 5-6 months ago.

I'm glad i'm not the only one:)
this is the first time ive heard of anyone with the same problem as me!
i am female 20 yrs old
i too have the same problems, gurgling in my throat and the constant feeling like im going to burp and nothing ever comes out.  im am afraid of vomit and am never sick, so i dont think that the "finger down the throat method" will work for me, but i will try.

my doctor diagnosed me with acid reflux and am now on nexium and it isn't working.  

i am desperate to find a cure, it's embaressing when im sitting in class and everything is quiet i feel like people are just listening to me gurgle.  

i have an appointment with a GI doctor in a few weeks and hopefully he can offer advice.  i have noticed that if i don't drink coffee or tea it reduces the "gurgles" signifigantly.

hope we can find a solution!
i am so glad i have found this site!! this is such an embarrassing and annoying problem. at least i am not alone.

actually, here's something interesting: like most of you, i couldn't burp for most of my life. i had to gag myself to expel air. however, i learned how to burp last year and it has not gotten rid of these gurgles. all it does, for me, is lessen the pressure in my chest/stomach. i still have the discomfort.

i get gurgling in my chest, constant crunching/gurgling/sizzling noises in the back of my throat, bad taste in the back of my throat, esophagus pain especially after eating or drinking, back pain, stomach noises and gas, stomach cramps, relentless burping, hiccups, etc. i had an endoscopy once that showed bile in my stomach but nothing was done for it, and all other tests were normal. i have been on tons of acid reflux meds and they don't do anything. i am heading to mass general in two weeks and will report back to you what the doctors say.

my last gastroenterologist told me this was all in my head!! now i just want to send him the link to this site. geez. it's obviously a problem for a lot of people.
I searched this on a whim and am astounded at my fellow 'gurglers.'
As I write this my throats making all sorts of awkward noises. I guess it's just a whimsical defect of some sort..
Just reading this has made me feel loads more confident about my gurgles. However, I am surprised to find so many people embarrassed by it. I've always found it to be rather amusing! :P
Hi! I am 26 and have had this problem for about five years. For me it started from coming down with mono which supposedly triggered me having celiac disease (I did not have the usual intestinal damage for an official diagnosis but I have the genetic profile and had antibodies in my blood. And I sure as heck do better without wheat). I avoid gluten like the plague, which was definately a source of the gurgle (i always called it "popping air into my throat" or "my popping thing") I can really pin point it to foods. I also want to note that it does not always happen immediately, but since I am so insanely strict about what I eat and eat in a set routine, mine is traced back to eating something different. I have found peanuts are particularly bad (also: mushrooms, salmon). And from celiac I know about "cross-contamination"; it is very hard to avoid foods that cause problems because trace amounts can be transfered through processing. Just want to throw that out there for you guys to use in your independent searches.

Here's the QUESTION!

I had an incident today (super processed flavored nacho chips. Had lots of allergy warnings about being manufactured in the same facilities of a bunch of stuff) and was gurgling a fair amount;
BACKSTORY: I have had problems waking up several times during the night and suspecting sleep apnea because I have distinct dreams where I feel I am not breathing and going into a semi-concious state where what feels like every 30 seconds or minute I force myself awake enough to control my breathing and force myself to inhale. It's horrifically frightening and I always wake up during this, usually on one of the inhales and I can actually feel how labored and difficult it is.
the sleep study came back negative.
BUT I just realized; I haven't had an episode for a while and my sleep has been better (also melatonin and relaxation cds: I suspect a hormone imbalance??? maybe I need to get my thyroid checked as some people have)

SO as I had triggered the gurgles today, I think there could be a link to having the semi-conscious failing and forcing myself to breath.

QUESTION: Does anyone else have dreams or incidences of not breathing at night? My boyfriend has heard me stop breathing and then suddenly gasping during my sleep as well. I think maybe I should retest for apnea after eating a peanut!?!?!?
PS

I will be praying for all of us that some amazing doctor/s/team of doctors takes us dead serious, devotes their lives to finding answers and FIGURES THIS OUT!!! Let's all fight for it!

I am so HAPPY to find you all and wish you the best. I will post more as I learn more myself and I hope to be as helpful as I possibly can for everyone.
pps I eventually had to quit coffee 2 years ago as it produces a particularly unpleasant gurglethon. That one seemed to have developed a bit later than the other triggers, which were immediate with all my gastrointestinal/mono start point.
I've developed this very same thing about 6 months ago. I'm 47. I have acid reflux and am on medications but it doesn't help the gurgling/growling.

I had an abdominal CT scan: normal. Just had an Upper Endoscopy: normal. The GI doc. couldn't explain what would cause those noises but gave me a prescription for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, what? What does your gut have to do with noises in your upper chest/throat area?

It's got a barbituate in it. I will use for 5 days. That's the recommended time it takes to show improvement. I don't feel good about taking it but the noises and so annoying I at least want to give it a try.

I'll report back and let all of you know if it makes a difference.

i have this exact thing, sat at my laptop right now
im at school
exams are the worst, the noise comes, i get all embaressed, then i panic, fail the exam.
im not scared of exams, im scared of being sat in silence.
bad times :(
nobody understands, my doctor laughed. like im crazy.
16 and had it for as long as i can remember... got worse now.
I just started the gurgling/croaking about a year ago. I am 50 yr old, never had this problem before.  I've had barium swallow and endoscopy, just showed acid reflux.  The medicine doesn't help the gurgling.  I advise everyone to have these tests if you can. I was surprised too, that the gastro doc and primary care doc had no idea what I was talking about, they both said it was caused by reflux.
  Don't have any answers, just notice when I slightly open my mouth right after swallowing I don't gurgle as loud.  Also when I drink something cold I always gurgle louder than something warm.  Someone in forum mentioned the vagus nerve.  I was wondering if it runs near the jaw muscle, because slightly opening the mouth might be relieving some pressure on that nerve ending and being under stress causes the jaw muscles to tighten. It doesn't explain the gurgling when laying one side or the other.  I'm still searching for answer.  I'm going to different gastro dr. this yr to get another endoscopy to make very sure there's no cancer.  I don't have a problem burping though.
   Will keep praying for a solution.

Well, I tried that medication the GI doc gave me after my uuper endoscopy. Didn't do anything.  I don't know why he prescribed it. Probably just so I have something to try for this problem he can't explain.

It's for intestinal cramping. I never said anything about stomach or intestinal troubles. And again, what does that have to do with gurgling near my throat/chest. It's god awful medication. The side effects aren't worth it.

Bev916, funny my GI doc said the acid reflux was not causing the gurgling and had no explanation for it.

He did have me double my prescription pepcid to 80 mg. twice a day to see if that might help. That might be helping a little bit.

I do notice I'm burping a little more. I'll keep you guys posted if the increased pecid continues to help me. Other than that I think I'm SOL.

I have to tell you all about a doctor appt. I had yesterday. I've posted a couple of times recently, you may want to read those posts.

So yesterday I went to a pulmonologist. Along with gurgling I have a cough that won't go away. This lady was so sympathetic.

She was convinced the coughing and gurgling was do to my hiatal hernia/acid reflus. My upper endoscopy was normal except for a very small hiatal hernia that causes acid reflux for me. The gastro doc. basically dismissed my symptions and said the coughing and gurgling had nothing to do with the acid reflux/hiatal hernia.

She gave me some medications and guess what? So far today I'm not gurgling.

She told me as I'm getting older (47) my stomach is probably not emptying as quickly. She gave me a medication (raglan) to speed up the emptying.

Next we changed my high blood pressure medication. Those are notrious for causing cough although my PCP didn't think my coughing/gurgling was from that but just to be on the safe side we changed it to one without the cough component.

Next she gave my tylenol with codeine to knock out the cough I have.

Other instructions: I have to elevate my matress 6 inches which I did last night. An amazing difference. When I lay down I usually have like a boiling noise in my throat. I didn't hear it at all last night.

Also no eating 3 hours before I go to bed. I've been doing that for years because of my heartburn so nothing new there and no soda drinking which I also don't do. Just not a big soda fan.

I'm also trying to help myself. I'm cutting my coffee intake to 2 cups. I'm going to cut way down on citrus. I already don't eat a lot of spicy food. Just not that into it. And she reminded me that alcohol really doesn't help the situation. It makes my already weak parts weaker.

I don't drink a lot but I work for a winery and yes I like my wine. I have cut down in recent months from a glass every night to 1 bottle over the weekend. I may just stop altogether for a while. Haven't had anything all week.

I hope what I'm doing continues to help me and maybe some of you suffering can find some help from this too.

She says she deals with this a lot.

By the way, you can have acid reflux without have heartburn so it may be some of you have acid reflux that cause the hurgling but no other symptoms.

I'll post again in a week and let you know how I'm doing. I hope this takes care of the gurgling becuase it drives me nuts and is starting to interfere in my life. Some days it is so bad I am in tears.

Diana

I call it a "Womp."  Almost a burp... but a gurgle... know exactly what you all mean.   And I'm a surgeon (at one of the top notch hospitals in the U.S.)  I've never been able to burp... maybe once a month a little one, but it's out of my control.  Never had formal testing, other than for H. Pylori (negative).  Things like eating a lot, smoking, drinking a lot, tend to excacerbate the symptoms.  But I think it has to do with air in the stomach.  I'm a bit of a mouth breather... wonder how many other's out there are similar (versus nose breather).  Probably easier to get the air into the stomach as a mouth breathing Womper.   Also definitely associated with reflux (GERD)

None the less, I stick with Nexium, which doensn't always work... but does help.  Would recommend everyone gets a check up for GERD prior to chalking it all up to just being part of our secret world of the Womp.  (as opposed to the burp).

-Dr. J
I am a 13 year old girl who is confused and searching for anwsers like everyone i am getting very annoyed theses are my symptoms

symptom:
gurguling in the throat
and mucus in the throat

i hate it because i can not control when i make these strange gurguls noises please if there is any one with anwsers or anyone with the same thing as me  tell everyone because there is a group of us who needs anwsers that the doctors cant give us.
I am so glad to have finally found people with the same symptoms! I can count on one hand the number of times I have burped in my life and get gurgly noises in my throat 24/7. They can happen at any time, be any length, and any intensity, but it happens especially after I eat or drink, especially soda. It can be embarrassing in class or at other times when it's quiet and my throat does it. The doctor had no idea what it was talking about and of course my throat didn't do it while I was there. :/ I am a 15 year old healthy female and it has been happening for as long as I can remember. If anyone finds anything, please tell me! I would love to get rid of it, as it can get very annoying.
hi i have the same annoying thing but i have been taking those rennie none acid tablets they dont work completely but they do make the noise un noticeable they dont get rid of it but they help
Hello!

I LOVE that I have found you, a group with gurgles like mine - and what a group we are! So many people! I seriously didn't think there was anyone else out there like me. I am 28 and have had this my whole life. It was quite the party trick at uni to not have a gag reflex and therefore never throw up after a big night, but other than that this problem has no good side to it.

I have the same symptoms you've all talked about and get it worse after drinking carbonated drinks, eating chocolate or having a big meal. Right now i'm sitting here gurgling after eating a huge lunch, with a can of coke and a chocolate bar to finish it off. I also have a cold with a lot of mucas involved, which always makes it a lot worse. I never burp or throw up (unless I have food poisoning), but it's not a phobia as I come from a family of embarrasing body noise lovers and they all burp, so it can't be that.

I do find that when i'm at my desk at work and I want to stop the noise I put my fingers and press down hard (not too hard, don't hurt yourself) on the top of my collarbone, over the oesophagus it stops the noise but the reflex still happens. That isn't successful everytime, but it can help.

I have also been diagnosed with IBS, sometimes the gas in my stomach/bowel/intestine region is so severe it makes my stomach move, like I have a little gremlin in there running around - it's very strange indeed (and gross, I would never show anyone other than a doctor!). I was given a prescription of peppermint oil tablets which I picked up at the pharmacy, they seemed to help when my gas was very bad that week, but I don't take them often. But i'm not sure that I associate the grumbly gut with the gurgling throat - i've never really paired the two up. I find I can be incredibly hungry in the morning if I don't eat breakfast and it makes me feel sick until I do. I am also hypoglycemic (and sounding like a right hyperchondriac right now) and so if I don't eat regularly my blood sugar can drop suddenly and make me all sweaty and shaky. It only takes a snack or some orange juice to see me right, but does anyone else ever get this, and do you think its related? Probably not, but it's worth putting all the weird symptoms on the table at once.

While I get the gurgles quite frequently, they generally don't last long and do not affect my breathing, so I think I have it quite mild compared to what some of you are going through. But I have always had it, I just try and pass it off as hiccups if i'm talking to someone, but really, there is no socially acceptable way out of it is there?

I will watch this forum with interest and hopefully we can figure this out! I just can't believe i've found you lot. I even sat and got a little teary with happiness reading some of these posts - you're describing my life and my pain and it's nice to know that i'm not alone. Although it is not nice that we all have to deal with this enough to write a big long forum on it. I'm off to stick my fingers down my throat in an effort to induce a burp...

I have the same exact thing. I havent puked for years, never been able to burp, but laying on my back doesnt help me. Ive quit drinking soda, so its gotten better, but its always really bad when i eat too much. I also have really bad drainage, so Im wondering if those have some kindof connection? I neeeed answers.
i have the gurgling sounds often (usally in quiet places like church) but i do burp often and throw up often. maybe i throw up easy cause i was bulimic in my younger days, im almost 50. i have the blocked feeling in throat. the drs diagnoised me with  reflux, gerd, wondering now if they diagnoised wrong or another diagnois they are missing. cant do upper barrium with out throwing up. also have hiatal hernia. it is VERY embarrassing, constantly clearing throat. i drink canada dry ginger ale and barq root beer they both make me burp. glad to know im not alone.
I am not a freak of nature!!!  Yay!!!  I am 23 and have had this problem for several years.  It got really bad when I was pregnant.  I get hour long episodes of LOUD gurgles in my throat, usually accompanied by nausea with each gurgle.  Lying propped on pillows was the only way to calm it down when I was pregnant, though holding my breath through the gurgle makes it not as uncomfortable.  One doctor said it was probably GERD (which I doubt), so my husband started to call the sound "gerd-ing".  Someone mentioned a thyroid problem in connection with this.  I am borderline for hyperthyroidism, which makes me very skinny.  People who seem to think I have anorexia have heard this gurgly noise and said "you sound hungry, you should eat!"  I have single really painful hiccups every now and then.  I did not throw up once from age 10 to age 21.  I have had a couple stomach viruses recently and gagged all day before finally throwing up only once or twice.  I literally only burp about 2 times a year (and it totally scares the crap out of me when I do!).  I have no idea what this problem is, but thank goodness I'm not the only one!
I'm a 20 year old male, who has this very annoying, very embarrassing gurgle around my throat and collarbone! I am glad that there are others who know what I'm going through(I think), but I pity all who deal with what I deal with. The best way to describe it is as a "failed burping" that last for hours and happen from half a second, to a minute between gurgles. It can get so bad, that it makes me want to throw-up, but when I do, only air comes out. I first noticed it when I was in a swimming pool. I thought it has something to with the water pressure causing some air displacement. I now get it when it feels like doing it, and gets worse when my sinuses clog up, making me breathe through my mouth only. I can still eat with it happening, but not if it is really bad. as for a lump-in-the-throat, the only thing I feel is blocked air that presses and presses, trying to get out!
This is amazing! i've had many of these symptoms forever (in 26 now) but not thought too much of it until my bro mentioned that he had never burped either. My symptoms have got worse lately and i had never put some of them together before, for example the hiccups i get every now and then are really loud, painful and can last for ages.

I get the burning in the throat, bloating and gurgling after eating. Despite some pretty heavy drinking sessions during my student years i have only been sick about 3 or 4 times that i can remember.

HOWEVER i remember my mum saying that my bro and i both had problems feeding when we were babies and both suffered from severe projectile vomiting after/ during feeding. My brother even had a small operation to deal with it. Could this all be related? Anyone else know if they had problems as a baby?
I am a 19 year old female. This is the first time I have heard of anyone else having this problem. I thought I was the only one! It has been happening ever since I can remember. I have never been able to burp either, like many of you. The gurgling in the throat almost always occurs after drinking things with carbonation, like pop, but sometimes also occurs after just drinking water or after a meal. It tends to happen if I eat a meal quickly. It only goes away if I lay on my back. If i lay on my back for about 10 minutes, usually it subsides. It is the strangest thing! Sometimes it gets really bad and I can't swallow and it feels like I am going to throw up, but I never do. However, it normally doesn't bother me but, is really embarrassing when I am sitting in class and my throat is "growling" and people look at me like what the heccckkk is wrong with you? My family and boyfriend are all used to it by now, but I really want to find a solution for this problem. If ANYONE hears ANYTHING about a possible cure, please let me know ASAP!!!!!!
Hi Guys,
It's me again after I few months. The gurgling is still going on. Quite embarrassing. But I did take the advice of laying on my right side, and it does help! If I laying in bed with my boyfriend and I'm having a gurgling session, I just lay on my right side and pass out. This has been going on for years now. Sometimes if its really bad, I'll go brush my teeth and tongue and make myself gag. Sometimes it helps but other times it stays the same. It usually sounds like a really out burp and that's embarrassing.

To comment on someone else who said they had a goiter and thought that it was a factor, I doubt it. I did have a goiter but I did get it removed by radioactive treatment and this problem has not gone away.

I really wish there was a solution to this because it is quite annoying.
i have the exaccctt same thing and i couldnt find any other website about it or anything!!
i never burp nor do i puke but this always happens and im an 18 year old girl
THE DOCTOR SAID IT WAS A GULLET DISORDERI HAVE BEEN TAKING THESE TABLETS AND THEY WORK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111
I've had this problem all throughout my life just like you guys.  Over the years i've been feeling like something is "stuck in my throat" like mucus or something.  Same thing with the croaking noises in my throat.  After a while i've just came up with the guess that the feeling where somethings "stuck in my throat" is just the uvula in your mouth bumping your tounge or your throat or something giving you that feeling.  Also, I think that the croaking noise is just gas being released by the carbination of soda and other carbonated drinks.  In which case, its just our kind of burp, except weird and uncontrolable.

A natural fix for me when I feel like im about to have another croak in my throat or "burp", I just act like im clearing my throat, or even cough, and that usually just makes the feeling go away.  This also supports my guess that the gasses from carbonated drinks are being released and clearing my throat and/or coughing releases the gasses so that it doesn't really seem as embarassing as if you were to croak in the middle of a classroom while its dead silent.

Hope this helped :)
so i read every single comment and i finally realized that i don't have it as bad as some so i'm a little relieved about that. i found this discussion board about a year ago and it definitely made me feel better about it. im 21 years old and ive had this gurgling since i was a kid. it has only gotten worse in the past few years, which is interesting because quite a few people commented that it has gotten noticeably worse in the past few years. I've also been diagnosed with IBS and gastritis, a type of acid reflux pretty much.

coffee, soda, and alcohol make it really bad, but it seems to also get really bad late at night for no reason. i went through a period of eating less and healthier a few months ago and i really noticed a difference. i wasn't bloated and i didnt notice the gurgling as much. i also have found that sitting up straight helps a lot, probably because there's less pressure on your stomach. also, i used to release the air on my own but now i have to force it out or else i feel a lot of pressure in my chest. it's pretty annoying. i'm gonna start keeping a log of everything i eat and drink and then pay attention to how my body reacts and hopefully a nutritionist can help me figure out if there are specific ingredients to avoid.
Hello there everyone~~! I’m 23yo female. I’m so excited to meet you all and to finally have someone believe me! I also have had this all of my life. I’ve never been able to burp and I wasn’t for lack of trying. A few times my little sister (who burps like Homer Simpson... seriously) tried teaching me and I ended up with a massive stomach ache the rest of the day.

**Some of the symptoms that I have that I have seen here are:
-No burping (Duh I know... but I had to put it!)
-Chest pains
-Sharp pain between my shoulder blades
-Frequent sore throats.
-Heart burn. Especially  when I eat then lay down.
-Sharp pain on the left side of my chest... it has been so bad that I’ve gone to the emergency room a few times with no luck of why.
-SHORTNESS of breath. This is the worst for me. I spend most of my day trying to catch my breath/ yawning/ anything to try and take a deep breath most of the time with no success. It feels like there is someone sitting on my chest. I’ve always been told that I have asthma but then inhalers never work for me.
-I also have the pressure in my head with the frog burps (gurgles) when I’m doing anything horizontal. The only thing that helps is laying flat or on my right.
-I also get the lump in my throat a lot. I’m constantly trying to gulp it down but it’s like it’s stuck.
-When I eat something that doesn’t agree with me I also get the bloating which usually leads to being nauseous. I have passed out a few times from it and also had seizures (not sure if that connected)
-I also get the panic attacks... mostly when feeling like someone is sitting on my chest... I’ll start to feel like I’ll never be able to take a deep breath again!! (Dramatic I know... but if you've been there you know it’s scary)
-Hiccups- These can be random but always painful. I can have them for a long period of time of they can just hit me with 3 in a row and totally f**k me up from the pain in my chest and back.

**Things that I have found to help:
-I have stopped eating meat and drinking milk. It has really helped me with stomach pains but that’s pretty much it. Everything else is pretty much the same.
-I also don’t drink anything that has carbonation in it. Ever.
-Tried the finger thing for the first time the other day and I works pretty well. Doesn’t get all the air out as fast as you would like but it’s all we got guys.... sorry!
-Sitting up tall and leaning forward a little helps
-Also deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth help with the pressure in your chest and back. It also helps get the air up to do the finger thing.
-Laying down on my right side is the best when nothing else is working. For some reason the left side is painful and usually makes the frog burps worse.

**Question
-I haven’t seen this but I thought I’d throw it out there. Does anyone else get like a sharp pain deep inside of the ears like it’s almost to their throat?
Sorry so long but I had to get everything that I’ve been holding in forever! lol. Thank you everyone for sharing! Stay strong and keep us all posted with any information!

Go Frog Burps!!
There's been quite a few new posts since I was last here. Has anyone got a doctor to make any sense of it yet?

I've never bothered going to mine. They're useless even regarding the most obvious things, so I wouldn't waste my time going with something weird like this.
For me, it's a relief to see how many other people experience throat gurgling noises! I have never been able to make myself burp, and I have only burped 7 times in my life; each of these times were immediately before I was sick.I have had the gurgles as long as I can remember, although they never cause any pain.I have never had heartburn.I don't drink a lot of carbonated drinks and eat a normal diet; the gurgles usually only happen after I have had a lot to drink (not necessarily carbonated drinks) or when I am full after eating a meal, but they can last for a long time after eating until my stomach has digested the food (I can always tell when it has digested it because I can always feel the peristalsis quite strongly).However, at the moment, I have a cold which started 3 days ago; now, even though I ate a meal a while ago, the gurgle occurs about 4 seconds after I swallow, everytime I swallow.The noises are bearable and I suppose it is better to have them than to have constant burping, but it is quite embarrassing when I'm meeting my friends or other people.The last time one of my friends heard it, I pretended to cough so she wouldn't hear it, but then she heard the next gurgle and said I sounded "like a frog!" I have tried explaining the gurgling noises to my family but they just look at me as though I'm weird!Out of all the people in my village, I am the only person who has the gurgling noises, and I have never heard anyone else have the noises!
I, like everyone else on this forum, am so suprised to find so many people who are experiencing the same problems as me! I try to live a healthy lifestyle, eating right and exercising often but I'm 19 and can remember making these gurgling noises all throughout secondary school. Now, I'm at University and it's awkward in my University lectures because the room is so quite and then the gurgling starts! It's embarassing and is making me miserable!

The doctors don't take me seriously, I'm sure if they had the same problem as us they would be far more concerned! I've tried making a food diary to see if there's any patterns or triggers but it seems random.

I've tried Gaviscon, Rennies, Windeze and even Gripe Water - nothing seems to help.

Wish there was a cure, but with so many complaints on here and no solutions it's hard to remain optimistic that someone can sort this out for us.

Does anyone else get a bloated stomach quite often too?
I finally found others who have similar symptoms to mine! Nobody else i know has theses gurgles in their throats and i've had mine at least since middle school... my best friend can belch like no other :/ i've always been more of a farter and can count on one hand the number of times i've had a real burp (none voluntary and all quite surprising) and also have only vomited a few times in my life. like many of y'all i've tried to learn how to burp and i just cannot do it! i'm 19 years old, try to be as healthy as possible, with exercise and a healthy diet; i don't drink sodas or alcohol. it seems like its happening more now than before but its not quite as bad as many of you all have described. usually they function as burps except they are pretty uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing. I feel the rising of gas before the gurgle and then after it i feel relief as if it were a real burp. i have always thought that maybe my burps were just like that except i do realize now after reading many of these comments that my stomach is often bloated even with eating just a small amount of food. i tend to eat pretty fast usually and this probably makes the gurgles worse, because when i do eat slower sometimes they are a little less severe. however, they seem random if they happen when i am not eating/ just ate, and i haven't noticed that they are worse at any certain time of day. it took me a lot of googling to find this page and will ask my doctor at my next visit and hopefully can post something to help :/ i'm applying to med school next year and maybe when i become a doctor i can figure this annoying malady out!
I'm 19 years old and have this to! But I only get it after drinking liquids and sometimes when I'm eating food. It's not random. When I drink any liquids they start to gurgle around my larynx and sometimes into my chest. Then once it gets down my throat the noise is gone. I also have no problem burping. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because I've been having trouble swallowing since January. We'll see what they say.

I also have not had this my entire life. Just since January. I'm thinking mine has something to do with my swallowing problem.
i have the same thing as thefirst person who wrote. I really thought I was alone on this but I guess not. Im 17 and I've NEVER burped. i didnn't even realize it until a couple of years ago when people would burp around me and I noticed I never really did even after I drank alot of soda or anything. I get a really weird sound in my throat after eating a big meal or drinking alot of  a drink. Everyone around me didn't believe me at first but now they're all pretty used to it. Does this have a name or anything? IS something wrong with me? If anyone knows anything, pleeeease let me know. Thanks :)
I have exactly the same symptoms (throat gurgling, pressure in back of throat and stomach bloating) and have narrowed it down to be food intolerances.  I have cut out sugar, red meat caffeine and ibuprofen and this has dramatically reduced  the amount of gurgling and my bloating has completely gone.  I would say that sugar is the main one to try though.
I have the same symptoms! I'm 27 and this has been going on for several years. I have gone through all the tests - upper GI, etc., and was found to have reflux, but not acid reflux, and a hiatal hernia.
Like everyone else on here, I never burp. NEVER. I have the same sounds - burping in the throat, right below it, and a pressure in the chest. It makes a noise that my boyfriend calls my "rumping" noise...lovely. When it's really quiet somewhere, you can hear it! It's awful and embarrassing. It is sometimes almost painful. When I lie on my back it stops. I cannot ever sleep on my left side at night, because it just starts up. I feel sick alot, like I'm going to throw up, but can't or won't. I can't find any common thread with my food or drink. I could eat nothing and it will start. I could a lot and it will start.

Please keep posting! And please offer any suggestions or remedies! I'm really at my wits end with this!
I'm totally for creating a homepage about this 'disorder' because it's driving me crazy sometimes and maybe this way someone (some MD House lol) would pay their attention to this problem.

I've had those gurgling noises probably all my life (I don't remember my childhood very well) and they get worse after drinking fizzy drinks - which I don't do anymore (I'm drinking water ONLY for half a year now and it got lot better). But I noticed that drinking tea causes the gurgling too. Especially when I have a cold and drink ANYTHING it comes immediately and stays for hours and I have problems breathing (by the way, I have been diagnosed with Asthma, but I just read that 30% of the people suffering from GERD are suffering from Asthma too). I have a sore throat and hoarseness ALL THE TIME and I cough ALL THE TIME. My lung doctor is sure that this is due to the Asthma but after reading symptoms of GERD and LPR I'm not sure about this anymore.

As many of you, I have never been able to burp - except at the time I was a baby. And I try to avoid vomiting because for me it's one of the most painful and awful situations ever (last time I vomited was about 8 years ago when I had a stomach flu). I also might be afraid of vomiting because I always try to suppress it when I feel like vomiting.

Anyways, the gurgling has gotten much better recently. Maybe because I only drink water? Maybe because I stopped eating sweets? Or maybe because I stopped eating meat for two weeks? Who knows, but I bet when I get a glass of coke now, it would start again.

Oh and @jimwalsh22: I'm a mouth breather too, I literally can't breathe through my nose, never could. Could this be linked?
Oh yeah, and I get bloated very easily. Like, you could watch my belly bloating WHILE I'm drinking/eating (even water). It feels like the liquid/food is just passing by my stomach and going down right into the intestines.
Hi you guys.  I have this problem too.  I've been to doctors, been on a multitude of tablets but nothing helps.  I don't like sticking my finger down my throat but I have found that once the gurgles start if i put firm pressure on my neck (just pressing with my thumb) where the soft tissue meets the sternum (just above the inter clavicular ligament) the gurgling stops.  not sure why or how but it may be something you would like to try.  hope it helps at least 1 other person. thanks.
I've got this too!  I just had steak, pasta, and beer for dinner and been gurgling all night for the 20,000th time, hence the google search that led me to this thread.  I'm 24 yo male and like many I've gone through the GI tests to try to diagnose it, without success.  To all the teenagers who have posted, please go to med school and figure out how to fix this!

A few of you have posted nicknames related to the condition so I'll share mine: "Dinosaur"

I'm like everyone.  I always thought it was just me.  And people would look at me funny because I'd hate to get hiccups because they hurt.  Unfortunately, there's no answers here, but it really helps to know there are others with that horrible gurgling. I've had it since I was a kid, but it's gotten worse over the years.  I used to do Theatre and voice over, but can't now because a mike will pick it up.  The only thing that helps me is to never eat or drink and that's self limiting.  By the way, someone mentioned Reglan.  Don't take this without a lot of research.  It's scary.  My doctor offered it, and I wouldn't take it with a gun pointed at my head.  It's the act that symptoms like permanent muscle cramps and ticks don't go away when you stop taking it.  To make sure you know what you're getting into.

Good luck to us all.
Until this spring when I googled burping, I never knew there were so many people like me.  I had never been able to burp and I get throat gurgling. Even as a child I would get severe gas pains.    I had several occasions when the chest pains were so severe that I felt I was having a heart attack.  Stress and certain foods trigger worse symptoms (carbonated drinks, coffee, shrimp, onions, beans & green veggies and fruit) but I have also gotten gas from just drinking water. My belly will bloat up an extra pants size with very little to eat.  
I, too, was getting worried that something was wrong, until I found you all.  In the past I have gone through the whole intestinal battery of tests, to no avail.  I was diagnosed with IBS, which is a fancy way of saying they don't know why you have gas and they don't know what to do about it.
At 49, I'm here to say, you can live with this.  We are weirdly made (I agree with the premise that our sphincter muscle doesn't get the signal to open to release the gas) and we need to learn how to manage it. So how have I survived for almost half a century?
1) Watch what you eat.  Avoid problem foods, or at least realize you will have problems after eating them (Don't eat them when on an important date!)  I find taking an anti bloat med when I eat dangerous foods (or have gas) will help.
2) Avoid sitting or laying down after eating.  Exercise helps to move things along.  And so does rubbing your tummy.
3)LEARN TO BURP!  It is possible.  You won't do it well, or all the time, but it helps.  Sit or stand tall, jut your jaw out slightly while tipping your head back just a little, relax your throat and jaw, take a breath and hold it while tensing your diaphram (belly muscles) and hold a few seconds.  You may need to release your breath and try a second time, but the air in your lungs and the force of the diaphram should force the gas up.
4) If the gas builds up while sleeping, try laying on your stomach for a while. Wear loose or low wasted pants during the day.

The scariest part of this is not knowing what it is.  Once you know its nothing dangerous, its just a matter of managing our specialness.  There are worse diseases to live with and manage, like diabetes or lupus.  Compared to them, learning to burp is a piece of cake.

Good luck to all.

YEP...I can only echo what everyone else has said: it's a relief to hear that so many others have the same problem!   I'm specifically encouraged that so many YOUNG people have posted here.  I'm a lot older than 20 (life comes at you fast) and I was worried that the gurgle was an indication that I was falling apart due to becoming ancient.  "Oh-oh, I'm turning into mummy dust!"

I'm surprised that no medical authority has stepped into this thread to add some insight.  And it's unfortunate that the editors of this site don't allow email addys or websites... it would be nice to all connect over time to compare notes and share solutions as they emerge.  So here is one suggestion about continuing our communication... why don't we start a Facebook page / group called "Throat Gurgle"?  

Blessings, folks,
B.A.
Have the exact same problem as everyone here. Today I had my endoscopy (nightmare.. I'm a little sensitive with things going down my mouth). So anyways, I was diagnosed with Hernia Hiatus or Acid Reflux.

I'm 21 years old male. I know the exact cause of my problem, I used to eat a meal or snacks straight before going to sleep. Eating too many chocs and fizzy drinks. So now I have to see my GP who will prescribe some medicines which will fix this problem.

I was so worried it could be cancer, but encouraged myself to go to the hospital and sort this out, it was ruining my quality of life.

This article should make things alittle simpler - http://ezinearticles.com/?Pain-Management---Hiatal-Hernia-or-Acid-Reflux?---How-to-Cure-Both&id=348376
So I went to my GP today (General Practioner).. and everything made it clearer for me.
12 months ago I fell out of work, got into financial debts so deeply.. worse thing is I still live with my parents, then I dropped out of my university degree due to deep depression.
So I started mentally/physically abusing my body.. I mean like skipping meals for days/weeks .. sleeping late or sometimes all day!

This caused my stomach to become inflammed and my throat started bad acid reflux.
I have to see my GP again this week to discuss the solution to this minor illness, maybe medicine prescription or operation.

Thankfully with the support of my family, I'm fresh and normal again :)

I hope this gives closure to some people. Please go to your doctor and take your chances. I am so severely underweight because of this, it's lowered my confidence so much and I couldn't go out for a year with my friends, if they go out to eat.. unfortunately I couldn't.

Take it seriously, don't ruin your future. It wont kill you but GERD is a worser case after acid reflux and there may be a possible of death if untreated... no matter how old you are.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ross and I have all the symptoms that have been mentioned on this site thread.

I too, get gurgling in my throat, usually after eating a meal, and it goes away when i lie on my back or lying on my right side but not the left side! I also sometimes get the tendency to gag (or 'dry boke' if you are from scotland). I have noticed recently that the gurgling doesnt aways happen. If I eat more slowly and chew my food more then I get less chest gurgles!

My doctor suggested to me last year that I may have a weak sphincter muscle. This means that when I eat, the muscle connecting the end of my throat to the top of my stomach widens to take in the food but doesnt close off properly therefore send particles of acid, food, gas back up my wind pipe/throat.

So the thought was too eat slowly and cheww properly to give my sphincter muscle the chance to close up.

I think that changing my eating habits a little has helped but I do still get the occasional chest gurgles when I have been really hungry and eaten faster than usual.

Another point: I went to the doctors last year cos all this gurgling was making me feel terrible and at the time I was working very very hard and I was very run down. Maybe there is a connection there??

I hope this helps

I look forward to reading more posts

Thanks xx
I am 16 female and I have been burping for over a year.Sometimes the burping is so bad I vomit in small amounts this used to happen to me when I was younger too I told my doctor but she doesn't listen to me.I can't stop it and I tried going off acidic foods but nothing will help.About once or twice vomit came though my nose when I couldn't stop burping.How do I stop this?
Please start your own post for your questions.  Thank you.
I have had these frog noises in my throat forever and I don't know how to get rid of it! Please help me. Im a desperate college student who can't even avoid this during tests and it's extremely embarrassing. Even when I'm just hanging out with friends it always happens and I don't know what to tell them. So if anyone has any information or some remedies to help please let me know. Thanks a ton.
it's me again :)
Well, I have a very good tip for you all, at least it helped me: when you drink or eat, breathe out (almost) all the air that's in you through your mouth before you take a bite/sip. in the beginning it will feel weird and you feel kinda stupid doing it, but with time it will go all automatically and you will breathe out before taking a bite. this helped me a lot. i can't remember when was the last time I had the gurgling noises, so i guess this is the right cure for me. also, I've been doing breathing exercises. i learned to use my lower lungs more often and I'm not sure if this is connected but it might help get rid of your gurgling. it's worth a try, but if you don't want to waste your time on that, I highly recommend you to do the breathing-out-thingy
xo
I have it as well... All day everyday... The only way it stops is if I lie on my back or my right side.. Other then that I have it pretty much all the time!! IT's SO ANNOYING!  It's getting really frustrating and it's very uncomfortable! It feels like I have to burp..
HI there! I posted quite a while ago about our condition. My husband begged me to go to a doctor about my throat growling. He lovingly refers to the noises as my "demons" talking. haha. Soo after an upper GI-found that I have a small hiatal hernia. After that doctors had me do a manometry and impedence test. Found out that my esophagus is very weak. The doctor explained to me that, on whatever "scale" they use, a weak esophagus would  be considered a #40 and a good one around 90.. mine is at a 28. Also, when we swallow, the esophogeal muscles work like waves.. pushing food down. They consider my esophageal functionality... well.. 80% non-functional.. meaning 8 out of 10 times I swallow, the "waves" are interrupted for some reason. I also had an endoscope which came back normal. I was supposed to have surgery yesterday- a nissen fundolopian with a wrap. I was all prepped- ready to go into surgery and then the surgeon came in to review my chart. After reviewing everything and finding that my impedence test came back "uninterprettable", he told me that he did not believe that the nissen fundolopian surgery would was right for me, because I do not have constant, severe heartburn. He did not believe that it would cure my "growling" noise, but since I was already prepped for surgery- he decided to perform his own endoscope. I have an appointment on Wed to see what his findings are, if anything. Guessing that a Bravo study will be ordered for me. Have to give him credit for not rushing into surgery and being honest with me about it not helping the gurgling. I'm wondering myself if it isn't the hiatal hernia. If it traps acid, why not air?  I have the same type of symptoms everyone is mentioning. Prilosec and those types of medications do not stop the gurgling. Will try to keep you posted.
I too have this horrible condition. I can't burp after eating. It has gotten a lot worse recently, but I have had it on and off for many years. I am on Somac. All food causes this symptom even water. If feels better if I eat or drink nothing at all! My doctor says my constipation doesn't help & that I just need to drink 2-3 litres of liquid per day. It hasn't helped so far. I have a tight feeling up my throat and across and under my ribs. I can only sleep if I manage to get a few burps out & stay still in one position, other than that I am up all night not being able to sleep with a bubble of air in my abdomen. I am having a Gastroscopy in Wednesday so hopefully there may be answers.
I am doing DOGGY CIRCLES around this forum because I am so happy that I am not the only weirdo in the world with this embarrassing problem, that I usually laugh off as my "dinosaur noises" at night--that I've had ever since I can remember (Mom has 'em, too).

I have never been able to voluntarily burp--and am very jealous of those who can; and that awful retching noise when we do--but the sweet relief; have throat growls at night when I go to bed (drinking ANYTHING an hour or so before bed time makes it 100% worse), have been diagnosed with acid reflux, have bad gas too often/don't poop regularly, and have had every test imaginable to find out why I growl and am SO bloated. I endure lectures from everyone on how to chew, burp, breathe, and swallow, and nothing helps.

So, I've learned to live with it. Let's hope that some day, some where, some doctor will believe the lot of us. Meanwhile, fellow growlers, hang in there!

I have read every single post in this thread...4 hours later, I'm ready to contribute my post!  I won't spend my time repeating what has been said by so many before, but I too have this obnoxious gurgling in my throat and chest and I've never ever ever been able to burp.

Instead of going over all that general stuff (I'm so happy I don't have to explain more since you all understand me!!!) I wanted to address a couple of the sidebar symptoms and possible causes that were brought up that I have also experienced (or not).

First, the gurgling is always worse for me if I have a cold or any post-nasal drip.  I agree with many of you who came before me that it makes us swallow more, causing us to swallow more air.

Next, I have noticed a correlation between the gurgling's severity and my stress level.  The higher the stress, the more often and intense the gurgling.

Gluten.  Long story short, I am intolerant to gluten and have a couple of other food sensitivities.  I have been on a gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free diet for 8 months now and have seen NO change in the gurgling symptoms.  I was really hoping they would stop once I changed my diet, but no.  One thing that did change was my constant constipation and bloating.  Being sensitive to wheat and dairy and finally cutting them out of my diet has definitely helped, but not as much as I was hoping.  Since I can't burp out the air I swallow the easy way, it of course has to escape the other way.  I blame my lack of a burp reflex for my remaining bloating.

Like many of you, lying down stops the gurgling.  My best relief is going to bed!  The problem is, the air then stays in my stomach until it enters my intestines and exits the other direction!  Needless to say, if I'm full of gurgles one day, I'm bloated the next.  It's a never-ending cycle!

This is all I will say right now.  However, I do want to say THANK YOU too all of you who have posted before me!  You all gave me the courage to finally talk about this with my family and close friends.  Being able to talk about the gurgles and knowing there are other people experiencing them is such a relief!  The gurgling has been so embarrassing over the years and now I feel a weight beginning to lift off my chest.  You have all made me laugh, cry, and everything in between with your posts.  Please keep posting your updates, doctor appointments, hints, and burping lessons!!!
Lately I have been experiencing the same gurgling sounds.  The doctor's have no clue as to what is causing it.  I  have been though just about every test.  Lately I found out if force up some liquid by breathing hard causing my chest to push in that the noise goes away.  Then it comes back shortly after.  I do have an enlarged thyroid.  So far it is not too big...just wondering if that is the source of my problem.  But I am seeing some consistency with breathing in hard forcing liquid up then the sound going away.  Has been going on for a couple of years now..  Just wanted to pass  on what I found out on my own to see if anyone else has figured this out....  
Lately I have been experiencing the same gurgling sounds.  The doctor's have no clue as to what is causing it either.  I  have been though just about every test except heart or stomach tests...just seems like if I breath out and push with my stomach up by itself at the same time it helps to get whatever is trapped causing the gurgling to get out.....I then notice the gurgling stops. Sometimes it makes myself cough but if I do it a few times in a row it stops for a while..

I just don't know what else right now medically that could be done to make it stop for good.  Medicines don't seem to work....everyone laughs doctor wise and tries to brush me off..first family care doc I saw brushed me off and said I had reactive airway disease gave me an inhaler and sent me on my way....which later online I read was a cop out when they couldn't figure out what was wrong...

Anyways...if someone finds a cure I'd like to know....what I mentioned above is what is working for me...just would like to be normal and not have to do anything abnormal...

I have the same problems too. I have hypothyroidism and I always wondered if that had something to do with it. I rarely drink pop, mostly water but with a straw and that makes it start too. I also notice it more at night. It does help to lay on your back and I take a gas x too and that stops it. I have no idea what could cause it but my doctor said they are going to monitor my throat bc my thyriod and this may just be some type of gas. I just feel embarrassed when it starts.
OMG! i am so relieved to fine this place. i am so sick of the "froggy noises" i make at night...if i lay on my left i make noises all night (it even happens during sex if i am laying on my left)...and now its getting worse it is starting to happen during the day!!
given my other acid reflux issues i think it might be the hernia thing. no matter what im so releaved to know im not alone...that makes it so much more bareable!!!
Wow! I too am so relieved to know there's other's with their insides talking as well! I've got all of the same symptoms, but i do have another one. Sometimes late at night (if i've had a particularly bad day with the gurgle noises) then i get a very thick musous feeling in my mouth and thoat. It's extremely uncomfortable and i feel like i have to keep swallowing. I'm not sure if that's what some people were describing as a "lump in the thoat" or not, but I can't stand it! And it's made me throw up twice. And of course, the only cure is to lay down. Anyone else having this horrible mucous feeling??
I also have the thick mucousy feeling, especially after hours of gurgling.  Sometimes it makes me feel very sick, and sometimes I have to swallow almost continuosly for a while.  I've found it helps if I take very small sips of water and swish it around in my mouth before swallowing.  It seems to dilute the mucous a bit, making it easier to swallow.  I've also found that if I take small bites of food and chew them very carefully and fully that the gurgles aren't bad after eating.  Small meals help, too.
Like everyone else on here, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I overheard a classmate years ago talking about it happening to her but I never talked to her about it. It only happens to me when I eat a meal or drink soda then go to class or somewhere quiet. Which is the worst. I would much rather it happen at night or something. I'll have my lunch then go to class and (lucky me!) we'll be writing a note and the class is dead silent. It's horrible. Sometimes I'll put pressure on my throat between my collor bone where that little indent is and it will help stop it a bit but not really. I don't know why it only happens when it's quiet. I'm sort of a shy person so I've been thinking it happens when the room is silent because it makes me uncomfortable and the weird noise in my throat is caused by being anxious but a lot of the times I'm okay with the quiet so I don't know... And it doesn't help that I sit beside a cute guy either lol. (Hopefully he never hears it!). I'll definatly be coming back here for any answers someone might have or if I find an answer. Good luck to you all for finding a way to stop it.
I don't think that I need to say it, but I will anyways.  I have the exact same problem, and have had this problem forever, and I thought I was the only one.  Although, those of you who get made fun of for it (I feel sorry for you) have it tough; I am in Middle School and I don't get made fun of for having the gurgling problem in my throat.  My friends and family, and even the most random people, never say anything about it to me.  It always happens after I eat or drink, And it really ticks me off.  I am also not able to throw up; the last time I did was 9 years ago, when I was 5.  And I never burp.  If I were to raise a finger for every time I have burped, I would have raised a total of 0 fingers.!
Too bad for me.
Oh, and It has gotten to the point where the lump in my throat has made it almost impossible to breathe at times, and I have to go to a sink or somewhere and constantly spit and spit until I feel better.
If you have any questions that you want answered please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.
sorry for constantly posting, but  LordFranz said (or at least how I Interpreted it) that it mostly occurs in those who are skinny.  If everyone with this problem is skinny, or at least has a high metabolism, could this possibly be a symptom for high metabolism?
(an uncommon symptonm, as most of my friends have a high metabolism, but don't experience the same thing)
I did a year ago the barium test and they told me that I had acid reflux. Basically, it causes heartburn and creates a lot of gas. Some of the gas goes through the bottom but some of it escapes through the mouth. Best thing to relieve this is to not eat at least 3 hours before going to bed, don't eat too much, start a healthy diet and do some exercise. There are also a lot of over the counter pills for acid reflux but the ones I tried don't really work for me.
b
Viewing 1-200 comments: