Gastroenterology Community
non-functioning gall bladder

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

non-functioning gall bladder

I have recently been told after a HIDA scan my gall bladder is functioning at only 10%. There were no gall stones present during an ultrasound.  My doctor wants to remove the gall bladder, but I am reluctant to do so.  Is this surgery absolutely necessary, and if not, how can I heal my gall bladder naturally?
My HIDA scan was 14%, not so good either.  I had my gall bladder removed and it unmasked the real problem, sphincter of oddi dysfunction and led to the worst pain of my life.  Finally, 1 1/2 years later and after a sphincterotomy, I'm doing much better.  Unfortunately there are not many tests for sphincter of oddi dysfunction; just manommetry which is invasive carrying a high risk of pancreatitis.  I would not have my gall bladder removed unless you have stones.  The only other thing that seemed to help me prior to this was trying to eliminate as much fat as possible.  Another thing that can be tried is antispasmodics like Levsin, Bentyl or Donnatal.  If it is sphincter of oddi, the sphincter can spasm and block off the bile duct then the bile tends to not drain properly.  These meds can help if there is a spasm.  Take this for what it's worth.  I'm a pharmacist, so the drug part would be my forte, but I'm very skeptical of some of the natural things as they haven't undergone the studies to prove safety and efficacy and in some cases they aren't even what they claim to be.  Because these remedies are not FDA regulated, they don't have to prove what medications have to prove with regards to safety, efficacy and even that they are what they say they are.  Just be careful since some are actually harmful.  Good luck with your decision.  I wish I had consulted my gastroenterologist prior to my surgery as he would have only given me a 50% chance of getting better when no stones are involved.