overeating in toddler
I have a grandson who is not quite 21 months old.  He has so much energy and he can't seem to stop eating.  He is always hungry, but he is tiny for his age.  He is in the 30 percent of kids his age for growth.  He will eat 4 helpings of everything for his meals.  You have to tell him no more.  Is this normal?
how many bowel movements does he have in a day?

I am pleased on one hand as so many struggle with getting little ones to eat MORE- but are you suggesting maybe some sort of parasite?

I am not sure if it the energy is related to the eating although vitamins make me and my friends and my son eat more He is 16 - a bit underweight and has develpoed a much better appetite in just one week of being on multivitamins- and vitamins usually give more energy.....
I do know they have big growth spurts after eating more.
He probably has about 4 bowel movement every day.  His father said he was the same way when he was a toddler.
You would need to provide more information, why don't you have the child's pediatrician recommend a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist in the area?  I wouldn't tell a child who is in the 30% to stop eating, instead provide him with nutrient dense foods.  He still should be getting whole milk dairy, cheese, yogurt until 24 months when he should change to low fat versions.  What exactly is he eating?  What does he drink?  How big are the parents?  Was he breastfed or formula?  Any known medical concerns?  Family medical history?  Lab values??   All that a professional could have in front of them and evaluate.

My one daughter has always been in the 1 - 3 %, yes you are reading that right she doesn't even make the growth charts.  She eats very well, growth has been steady and consistent now turning 6; Mom is petite too.  She eats portions the size of an adult, Mom has always had a great metabolism too.  Baby brother is 75% for height and 40% for weight since birth, now 20 months he continues to grow the same.....tall and lean.  Also eats well.  Middle sister is 50% for weight, 25% for height, more of a solid built like Daddy, also eats very well.....nutritionally and portion sizes.  The growth charts just mean that the average child's weight (when the data was collected) is at the 50% marker, doesn't mean that you have to be 50% for weight and height to be healthy.  But your concern is with the amount the child is eating but no one should be advising without knowing the factors I listed above and seeing the child. There are too many factors to just advise on a web page.  If you are concerned, check out the eatright.org web page for the American Dietetic Association and look for a qualified nutritional professional in your area.