Gastroenterology Community
pain across lower rib cage in back followed by lots of belching

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello, I have been having a persistant problem for a few months with pain in what seems like my kidneys that comes with constant belching. It lasts sometimes for over an hour. I had a gout attack a couple years ago and my blood test came back with elevated liver enzymes along with high uric acid(gout). I then had more blood test for hepatitis which all came back negative. I had my liver and gall bladder ultrasounded and the gall bladder was good, but they said I had a fatty infiltrated liver. Now this pain and belching that seems to be coming from the kidneys. It almost always happens if I drink a soda, after only a few drinks even. It happens alot if I drink coffee or tea (sweetened or unsweeted), but it also has happened in the morning before I have drank anything. I am over weight by about 75 pounds. All of the extra fat is in my torso and my arms and legs remain fairly lean. I also am pretty sure (almost certain) I have sleep apnea, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. This pain is like a dull to achy pressure feeling under my lower ribs and at the height of the attack it gets to the center of my chest as well. As soon as the pain starts the belching starts. It seems to be getting more intense and more frequent. When it first started I did not have as much belching and the pain went away after I urinated, but urinating does nothing to stop it now. I have cut out soda and cut back on coffee and tea, but it is still there.