Gastroenterology Community
pain after diverticulitis surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pain after diverticulitis surgery

I had laproscopic surgery to remove 8" of  sigmoid colon because of diverticulitis in Feb '09.  At two week checkup had an infection.  Hospitalized two more times because of leaking that doc could not determine source.   The last hopitalization was three weeks long and almost died but doc would not go in again.  He kept saying he thought I would heal.  Sent me home knowing I still had a leak.  Went to new doc, new hospital finally in May who said after 3 months if it was going to heal it would have.  Had open surgery to correct the first and removed about 5 more inches and some of my rectum this time.  I have been doing ok.  Long slow recovery after all my body had been through.  I drink alot of water but when I try to eat the recommended amount of fiber i feel pain low in my bowels, no gas and instead of being able to go I can't.  I can't do Fiber one stuff it hurts me.  I try oatmeal, beans, double fiber bread  fruit and veggies and I am miserable.  I am straining again to go to bathroom and that scares me and worries me because I don't want to get diverticulitis again.  This past Fri  I started feeling that bruised feeling in my lower bowel again and it hurts to push and it has spread into some abdominal pain.  It is so hard to get in touch w/ this surgeon because he is head of GI at a major university teaching hospital.  It feels like when I have had mild diverticulitis. Could it be back so soon?