Gastroenterology Community
pain and bloating in large intestine

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pain and bloating in large intestine

Hello there, im hoping someone might be able to help. I have had serviour pain and bloating in my lower abdomin (abdomen) for many years. It all started about 16 years ago when i was 19.
over the years the pain and bloating has gotten worse to the point i get it all day every day now.
Some weeks i can be fine from the morning i get up until 7 pm and suddenly like clock work i feel things change in my stomoch and within minutes i am so bloated i look pregnent. I normally have a flat stomoch. The pain and bloating get so bad i have to lay down for a few hours and find rolling from side to side relieves gas and i pass it out reducing the bloating. some mornings i wake up with it and the pain and bloating stay with me all day making it a misserable day and unbearable to work. My quality of life is so low when i get this problem. I have had many tests including ct scan, x rays, colonoscopy etc etc and all 3 specialists hcant find anything wrong with me. They all agree there is somthing as they have all seen the photos of my bloating and are shocked. I have only just had surgery last week with a camera inside my belly button to see if there is anything they could see wrong in there. They found no scaring or twisting but did find the large intestine to be excessivley long. Much longer, like more than 1 m longer than normal. Apparently it was so long the surgen said she couldnt find the end and it was all bunched in my left side where i get the pain. She is not sure if removing a section will help me or not. I would like to hear from anyone who has had this problem or found there large intestine to be to long causing problems and if removing a section will help me. I have also had a transit study done and confirmed that food is taking up to 1 week or more to pass through me.
Please if anyone can make sugestions or has been through this and can help or need to know more, please let me know as i dont know what to do from here. All i know is a cant keep living with this pain and bloating.
Many thanks for listining and reading my problem.

David Wilkens

This discussion is related to ABDOMINAL PAIN AND SERVERE BLOATING.
Do you eat a lot of fiber in your diet? you need to eat lots and lots of fiber at every meal and for snacks, it will help at least get rid of the built up gas, you'll have lots of flatulence  but it will also move the food through the digestive tract. Make sure you don't drink Beer or fizzy drinks as they will make things worse. Drink Mint tea and  take Metamucil morning and night . I use the powdered , mix it with a glass of water. make sure you drink lots of water with it and after taking it, this too will help empty your digestive tract, and you might get some relief.  it won't happen over night you'll have to keep on eating a high fiber diet and taking the Metamucil for as long as it takes to clear things up , then stick to a high fiber diet from now on. hope this helps