Gastroenterology Community
pain around belly button, lump to the right

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

For the last week or so, I have had a tender spot about 1 inch to the right of my belly button.  The other day, I bumped that area on the countertop and realized it was sore--feels like bruising.  Then I noticed that there is a hard lump just next to my belly button that is sore (also could be sore from pushing on it though!).  It doesn't really hurt, but is sort of a burning pain inside (not severe), comes and goes, worse obviously when I push on it, and it feels like it's bruised or something.  I noticed that area is right where my belt cuts in and all my pants/underwear/belts hit at this level as well.  Wondering if it could be from that or if something else might be going on.
Also, I had my belly button pierced years ago and have not had a ring in it for more than 10 years now, but the holes are still there.  About a week or so ago, it was red and painful.  I kept cleaning the area and used antibiotic ointment on it and it seems better, but I don't know if it's related to this internal lump somehow.  
I have read on umbilical hernias, but the area is not soft and it can be felt whether I am sitting or standing, does not move, and can't be pushed in.  I do have IBS and have had 2 c-sections, although this is above that area.  No changes in bowel habits or anything new as far as that goes.  
Any ideas? I have a doctor appointment scheduled for June 9 and was planning on asking about it then, I figured that since I'm pretty sure it's not appendicitis, I'm not in extreme pain, and have had no fevers or anything, that it would be okay to wait until then.  However, just because it hurts every day and for most of the day, it does worry me and I've found myself pushing on it constantly just to see if it's still there, if the pain is getting worse, etc.
This could be an infection. You may want to see if you can see your doc earlier than the scheduled appointment in June.
If it's not an infection, then could be it is an umbilical hernia, which I have one of those.  When my IBS was bothering me a lot, my abdomen swelled a lot, to where my belly muscles couldn't hold in very well.  I got to coughing one day, and felt this pain next to my belly button.  It swolled up like a golf ball and looked strange.  So, I was visiting my gastroenterologist and I asked him about it.  He said I had an umbilical hernia.  The first month or so it hurt a lot, but like you, it wasn't this real painful thing, it was just sore.  Eventually it didn't hurt anymore.  But I have this lump there where it pushes out a little, rather unsightly.  I suppose I could have it surgically repaired, but the gastro guy said it wasn't like some hernias that need fixing.  So, maybe you have one of those, like me.  
That's what I had wondered about; whether it was a hernia or not.  My stomach muscles are really weak ever since I had my last child (about 2 years ago).  But the only thing is that this lump is hard and feels kind of oblong, it doesn't push in at all, which is what it sounded like the hernias do?  I did go to the doctor's yesterday for a totally unrelated illness, and told her what I had noticed and she didn't seem very concerned at all.  I started on antibiotics for pneumonia, so hopefully if it's an infection of some sort it will clear up with that.  It's just a weird thing...the pain doesn't get worse, but it does seem worse with jeans on or my belt rubbing against that area (all of my pants hit that area though, so it's hard to avoid it), or if I lay on my right side it seems to get more sore.
With umbilical hernias, do they heal up eventually?  I know that in infants, they can sometimes heal, but do they with adults?  I know that surgery usually isn't necessary unless they are painful or incarcerated, but wondering if eventually it would heal if that is what it was?
Can you do exercises, such as Pilates if you have one of these hernias?  I won't be seeing my doctor until the next scheduled appointment (June 9) unless I have other problems, and would like to start doing Pilates for strengthening again, but in the case that it might be this, I wondered if this is safe.  
I HAVE A PEA SIZE  KNOT BY BELLT BUTTON . IT WAS SORE SO I WENT TO THE DOC HE SAID IT WAS A CYST AND HE CLEANED SOME OF IT OUT NOW IT IS BOTHERING ME AGAIN, SORE, FEELS LIKE SOMETHING IS STICKING FROM INSIDE. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. STOMACH  A LITTLE SORE ALSO. HE SAID IT WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BUT I DO CAN,T THEY BUST?