Gastroenterology Community
pain before bowel movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pain before bowel movement

I am 28 year old female who had RNY gastric bypass in 2004. I had a few complications after the surgery, a short bout of peritonitis and I had to have my gallbladder out 2 months after my gasric bypass surgery. I have kept my weight down to 172 from 275 in 2004.

I have been experiencing a strange pain on my right side for about 9-10 months now. It comes and goes in waves and I dont experience it for a few weeks but then it comes back. It feels like a cramping or dull ache on my right side just above my groin area and is worse before I have a bowel movement and aches after I have a bowel movement as well. The pain feels like it radiated down almost to my upper inner thigh area and is bearable (for now) but incredibly uncomfortable.

I saw a GI and he said to increase my fiber intake, which I thought was ironic as I became vegetarian in December of 2009 and eat a high fiber diet. Lots of whole grains, beans and eggs every day, and lots of spinach.He also recommended I get a colonoscopy. I have not done this as of yet because of the immense cost out of pocket and up front ($800!!!)
I also saw my GP about another symptom (brusing easily and itchy skin) and he put me on an iron supplement but I dont take that like I am supposed to.on average, take it about 1-2 every week, as well as a prenatal and a b-12.

I am toooo young to be having all of these problems! but I am getting worried now because the pain has not gone away magically (like I expected it to!) and have intensified in frequency and area.

Any thoughts or insight would be very very helpful. THANKS!
Sounds like you might have a hernia r/t surgery where your abdominal wall is weakened..and it is now causing intermittent bowel obstruction. Is the pain excruciating...and happens just when the stool is getting ready to pass (few seconds before) and continues until the stool passes through the anus? I strongly suggest going to see a General Surgeon stat as this can be life threatening if it becomes strangulated.