Gastroenterology Community
pain med is ok to take before colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Im having a colonoscopy done in less than 36 hours and I know there are certain pain meds I can't take because they will effect the results,however I'm having a terrible migraine headache.  I usually take Imitrix (100mg) . Is it safe for me to take this medicine ...or...will it interfere with my test?
I really want to help you, so I'll go out on a limb and give you the following info, but like all advice in this forum, it is ONLY advice, and certainly should not be considered as the truth or as anything you can rely on.  This is just to steer you in a direction that may be of some help to you.

The best answer is for you to telephone the doctor's office and find out, but it's the weekend and that may pose a problem, so the next best answer is to read any paperwork that came with the prep stuff.  If you don't have those papers, you could Google the name of the prep medicine you were given, and their webpage should list their medicines you should not take.  

You could also go to the "Ask The Doctor" part of this website and ask them, and also some insurance companies have an "Ask The Nurse" program where you call a nurse's 800 number 24/7, but you have to weigh what they say with the same caution as you do here.  In addition, when you come in for you colonoscopy, they will ask you what drugs you are taking, all of them, and if they think your meds might goof up the colonoscopy, they'll reschedule you.  

But basically, the medicines you're not supposed to take is aspirin type drugs, blood thinner medicines, and iron supplements.

Now, the way your Imitrex works is, it relieves migraines presumably by narrowing blood vessels around the brain, among other effects.  Now, coffee, which you are normally allowed to drink for specific period of time before a colonoscopy, also is supposed to help headaches the same way, by narrowing blood vessels around the brain.  The theory is that migraines come from dilation of blood vessels in the brain, so any substance that causes the blood vessels to narrow down will help a migraine headache.  So, while this suggests it's okay for you to take the Imitrex, the correct choice is to drink coffee, which you should look at the directions with your prep information, to be sure it lists coffee as one of the "clear liquids" you can have.  Also, to minimize a migraine, turn down the lights, plug up your ears, to keep sensory stuff at a minimum, which light and noise tend to aggravate migraines.  

But anyhow, here is a list of stuff you're NOT supposed to take, I got them from a few sources online concerning colonoscopies and preps, there may be more types of medicines and so forth that you should not take, which is why you must find out for certain what your particular prep stuff requires, to be sure:

Do not take aspirin or aspirin containing products for 7 days before the colonoscopy.  These include:  Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Alka-Seltzer, Ecotrin, Ibuprofen, Midol, Motrin, Naprosyn, and Naproxen.

Stop taking blood thinners before the colonoscopy, the prescribing doc can tell you when.  These include:  Coumadin, Plavix or Lovenox.

Do not take any iron-containing medicines or supplements 7 days before the colonoscopy.
.......