Gastroenterology Community
pain under ribcage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pain under ribcage

Have had pain under my ribcage  and in my lower back for about 1yr.  My dr. says it could be stress related and it is musculoskeletal and not to worry about it. I've have GI series tests, colonoscopy test,and I still have the pain. Massage helps but it's temporary relief. I'm worried it could be somthing more serious.What else can I do?
Here is an article on idiopathic splenomegaly, http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/137/1/64, it states that a majority of idiopathic(unknown origin) splenomegaly can be attributed to lymphoma. I have had an enlarged spleen for over 2 years now with no known cause. After 2 ct scans, ultrasounds, many blood tests, liver/spleen scan, hiv, hepatitis, cmv, and other tests, I have absolutely 0 answers from the doctors. So now I am going to push for a diagnostic slpenectomy. Sound crazy to ask for an organ to be removed, but I am so exausted and depressed from not know why it is enlarged and hurting. I am fatigued all the time, My left side hurts all the time, if i drink alcohol my sleen hurts for 2 weeks, and all the doc's tell me is it is in my head as all my bloodwork is normal. Well this medical study shows that all patients showed normal bloodwork and mostly normal bmb's and 7 of the 18 people in the study had lymphoma with no enlarged nodes. I almost cried when i saw this study as I think mabie I can finally find out why I have suffered all this time. So I just wanted to post this for anyone else that may be having problems with idiopathic splenomegaly.
How large is your spleen?
16cm by ultrasound, 14cm by ct scan.  
for the past three years i have suffered from pain and a feeling of either something being swollen or something rubbing against my ribs, i also feel really tired all the time and just dont feel like myself, i had a normal scan which showed nothing apart from a few gallstones which i was told would not affect me, after so many trips to the doctors i was sent to see a specialist where he put me in for a ct scan and a colonoscopy, the colonoscopy came back clear thank god and after having ct scan it showed i had enlarged pipes that come from the kidneys to the bladder but after other tests of the kidneys and bladder they were fine, i am at the end of my tether as i have four children and due to this i cant be the mum to em that i was before this. the specialist told me that if the colonoscopy came back clear and the scan i would have to live with it, would he say that if it was his mum, wife or daughter, anyone know of any suggestions that i could ask for to get to the bottom of this pain and discomfort